PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor

Julie Wright
12-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Time to start looking at buying an air compressor. What to buy, brand and size. I will us it to drive nails, drive power sanders and blow out machines. I have no idea where to start. I know buy the most you can afford. The tool budget is just about blown. Thanks for your help.

Bob_Hammond
12-28-2003, 11:01 AM
The big question is to decide what tools you want to use. Nailers, and blowing out tools require very little air ( you could get a pancake model). HVLP sprayers require more, and sanders even more. I have a 26gal Home Depot model I got for about $200 that I can spray with as long as I pause every once in a while to let it catch up. I don't think that it would run a sander though. It's noisy as can be, and probably won't last for lots of use, but for occasional hobby usage it's OK.

Bob

Jim Becker
12-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Julie, most compressors affordable by us "mere mortals" will not be able to handle pneumatic sanders well, if at all. These tools really use a LOT of air and you can buy several to-of-the-line Festool Rotex sanders with the vac for less than a compressor that will deliver enough air for sanding! Most pneumatic sanders also don't deal well or at all with dust collection since they are generally designed for automotive use, not woodworking.

For everything else, you'll be fine if you pick up a 30-60 gallon unit...bigger is always better when it come to air. The best way to pick a compressor is to examine the SCFM needs of the tools you want to use and go from there, but for what we all do, something in the 8-11 SCFM @ 90psi will do a nice job pretty much across the board.

There are a lot of choices in the 60 gallon oiled, belt drive space...pick your color preference. These do require 240v to operate...if you need to stick with 120v, the 30 gallon units are going to top you out. One of the best 30 gallon sized units is the Ingersoll Rand GarageMate which sells for about $500. These units remain portable, too, with wheels, although you really can't drag them onto a roof and they do require a 20a circuit. Similar units in other colors typically sell for about $360. These will work well with spraying as well as other tools...other than a sander.

The 60 gallon units range from about $400 up to about $700, depending on the manufacturer and horsepower. I have my eye on an Ingersoll Rand 60 gallon basic compressor which sells for about $500 on sale, although I would have bought the "red" one at HD if the recent 20% sale had included compressors. Not! Drat! The 60 gallon units also are great for spraying and all other tools...other than most standers.

Don't forget that there are some other items you need when you buy a new compressor for your shop, including the "start-up" kits that have the oil for the compressor. You'll also want a moisture filter. I don't suggest an "oiler" for tools unless you plan on permanent plumbing with separate connections for tools and spraying. A little drop of oil in the tool itself is safer than contaminating your spray gun accidental!!

Mark Singer
12-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Jim,
your correct...I have a 60gal Porter Cable, I think it was around $350 . It stands vertical taks up less floor space. because of the large tank it doesn't run as much, which is nice. It is oilless which is also nice...its about 3 years old and no problems.
Mark

Mike Evertsen
12-28-2003, 11:33 AM
oil filled are better and last longer than oilless,,,7hp 60 gal. 2 stage is close to being the best but your spend 700.00 -3000.00 for one you can get a7hp 60 gal single stage for around 400.00-500.00 you'll need 220v line ,,,,,,if you don't use the air sanders you can get the 3-5hp 20-30 gal 110v air compressors they cost 125.00-300.00 they work fine nailers,,,, just stay away from the oil less models no matter what the sales idiots tell you,,for a handi man that use once in awhile to fill tires they ok,,,,,,
I found this site it might help you decide
http://www.sawdustmaking.com/AirCompressors/air_compressor.htm