PDA

View Full Version : extra red oak flooring?

markus shaffer
02-28-2003, 4:49 PM
my next door neighbor just recently had her floor redone. somebody measured a little too much and she ended up with a couple extra bundles of red oak flooring left behind by the contractor. for those of you who have never spent much time in new york city apartments, most of us don't have room to to store such things as extra bundles of oak flooring. thus, she set it out on the curb next to the trash. i happened to be by with my truck last night so now these two bundles are taking up residence in my shop. while i don't have any flooring projects in the immediate future, i'm curious what any of you would do with such a find. it's about 40 square feet of tongue & groove boards, all random lengths with the fluting on the backside.

-markus

Scott Stefanoski
02-28-2003, 5:02 PM
I did it before and used the wood in all sorts of different ways. I cut the fluting and used it to make all sorts of projects. I built a couple small cabinets, cd holders, boxes and such. The wood dimensioned out to about 1/2" so i just had to be carefule with it.

Todd Burch
02-28-2003, 5:51 PM
With a 25 year wear warranty on the flooring I put in a couple years ago, I figured my extra would be good for drawer slides, and it has been. I resawed some (on the TS) and then ripped into 1" wide strips and glued them to the bottom of my drawer boxes. They work great. I glued some on the sides at the bottom too to cut down on some side-to-side slop I had. (Shop cabinets)

So, if you do all your drawers, that leaves 38.5 square feet to do something else with.

Todd.

John Miliunas
02-28-2003, 7:33 PM
Frames for photos, drawings, certificates, etc... You name it. Heck, if you rip the bottom part of the tongue, instant rabbet!:cool:

Von Bickley
02-28-2003, 9:13 PM
Markus,

That oak flooring would make a beautiful table top for your table saw outfeed table. A few coats of poly and it would really shine.