PDA

View Full Version : New Pics on line

Ray Mighells
04-15-2007, 5:51 PM
Hi all; I've posted a few pics to a new album in Picture Trail if you care to look in and critique. All responses and ideas welcomed. http://www.PictureTrail.com/razaxnstuff Album is the first one titled Laser Engraving, Browse the others as you wish.

Dave Jones
04-15-2007, 6:29 PM
What is the story on the pinstriping?

Keith Outten
04-15-2007, 6:51 PM
Ray,

Your black marble engravings are fantastic. I really like the engraving style, engraving the entire background. It frames the graphic nicely, hope you don't mind if I pick up your technique :)

Thanks,
Keith

Larry Bratton
04-15-2007, 7:43 PM
Hi all; I've posted a few pics to a new album in Picture Trail if you care to look in and critique. All responses and ideas welcomed. http://www.PictureTrail.com/razaxnstuff Album is the first one titled Laser Engraving, Browse the others as you wish.

A FEW!!! Man where do you get time to do all that? Nice work though! :)

Ray Mighells
04-15-2007, 7:51 PM
For Dave - - The pin striping comes from a package of about 400K patterns of vector art from medival to waaay out. Lots of pinstriping in broad categories. The title is " Vector Art MEGA COLLECTION" byHolmes & Cotrell Graphic Technologies. I don't remember how I got into their web site, but I previewed the package several times before I bought it. There's a lot in there of no interest to me but there is some great stuff too. Anyhow, the shop that did some graphics for my RV gave me a couple pieces of vinly to try, and you can make it work if you're careful. It's time consuming because you have to manually pull off the backing from both the design and the scrap. The fine line ones are sensitive to handle. Whem you get them on, they stay. I have a few more cut but I'm waiting for better weather to mount them. Hope this helps. For Keith --glad I'm able to return something for all the help I've received from you and others on this forum. I'm still droooollling over the gold mirror
on black you showed a while back. I was able to scrounge some silver acrylic mirror from my cousin and have some lettering in Brush Script with the letters welded together all cut out ready to mount. Mirror is very striking... Anyhow, you are certainly welcome to use anything that will be of any use to you.. Thank you.

Frank Corker
04-15-2007, 8:00 PM
Ray I have to admit I think it's a very different way of engraving black granite. Most of us are working from a negative image where you are working from a positive image. An average portrait with the background removed on a 12x12, doing it the way most of us do it, would take about 14 minutes. How long is it taking for you to do one like yours?

George M. Perzel
04-15-2007, 8:15 PM
Hi Ray;
Welcome home- absolutely love the grapes carving- must have taken you all winter. Awesome!! Great job!!
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Dave Jones
04-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't remember how I got into their web site...

I found it with Google.

http://www.vectorart.com/

A bit pricey, but has a lot of stuff in it.

Brian Robison
04-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for sharing Ray!
On the mirror, were you able to just engrave away the backing to color fill?
If so, what power and speed. What wattage?

Steve McKee
04-16-2007, 11:13 AM
The vector art collection is also available from LaserBits, at a little better price too.

Steve

Ray Mighells
04-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Brian I'm finding that acrylic is great stuff to work with. It cuts about the same as plywood. Mirror is very striking and I envision doing a lot of it. It is pretty pricey, but if you live anywhere near a commercial glass business, you can probably pick up scraps free. They don't have to be big pieces. I run 400 DPI; 40/50 power; 90 speed; 2500 freq; vector speed 9 for 1/8", flat black rattle can sprayed on the back. The engraving is on the back, so don't forget to flip your text. I'm running a 35 W Epilog.

Brian Robison
04-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks Ray, I've tried glass mirror (reverse engraving) but not acrylic. I have several pieces, I just never tried reverse engraving on it, I assumed it would be the same as the glass mirror. I'll play with it.