PDA

View Full Version : Zambus on MM16 - That's the way Uh Huh Uh Huh, I Like It - Uh Huh Uh Huh

Doug Shepard
04-15-2007, 5:38 PM
I just got a set of Zambus casters underneath my MM16 about an hour ago, and man are they sweet. After ditching the factory Johnson Bar setup, I went with a Delta mobile base for about a year (see this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10507 ). It worked way better than the Johnson bar from a stability standpoint but I still didnt think it rolled on my somewhat uneven shop floor very smoothly. It would occasionally hang up in spots. Between posts here and on the MM Users Group forum, I'd been reading a lot of glowing posts on the Zambus casters and decided to go fer it. They showed up a couple of days ago and got them installed today. The hardest part by far was getting the saw off the Delta base. Got some help from a neighbor to get the MM16 up on blocks and slid off the Delta. After that it was a one man show. Removing the blocks was easy after turning the caster adjusters all the way up. In addition to the smaller footprint (no surrounding mobile base) it also raised the table higher, which is nice. Haven't measured to find out how much higher - it's probably only a couple inches higher but it feels like a lot more. With the footpads lowered, the saw aint going nowhere. It's as solid as a rock. But rolling the saw is incredibly smooth, even on my floor. Turns on a dime too, as all 4 wheels pivot rather than just the single pivot that the Johnson Bar or Delta base had.

No pics yet to prove this happened though. It's windy here today and the saw just kept rolling out of the viewfinder every time a gust came into the shop.:D

Barry Londrigan
04-15-2007, 5:53 PM
Doug...great job! Looking forward to seeing a picture of the setup. I would like to put them on my bandsaw as well!

Jeff Wright
04-15-2007, 7:18 PM
Here's a pic of the Zambus casters on my MM20. I also have a set on my Oneida DC stand and plan installing some on my MiniMax 410 Combo machine.

Barry Londrigan
04-15-2007, 7:35 PM
That is awesome! Where do I get em? About what do they run?

I am sure you guys have read this but I laugh every time I read the MM20 manual and it states:

"See Figure 5 Below, Johnson Bar Placement. Note: Always be careful where you place your Johnson".

Now that is sound advice!

Bruce Page
04-15-2007, 7:55 PM
That's cool Doug. I'm looking forward to some detail pics of your setup. I still like the Delta MB under my MM, but I need to do something about my PM15's mobility!

Charles Wilson
04-15-2007, 7:59 PM
Does it really say that in the MM20 manual? If so, I wonder what happened when they found out that technical writer wrote that. ;) Maybe the guy's name was Jim. Jim Shorts. :p

Chuck

Per Swenson
04-15-2007, 8:04 PM
Ok,

Doug,

I have read a lot on the MM forum about this. (super lurker)

I don't see why these won't work on any band saw.

With that said, here is the link to Zambus... http://www.zambus.com/index.htm

And the big question. Which ones did you use and why?

Also any issues with installation?

Trying to be helpful.

Per

Jim Flynn
04-15-2007, 8:14 PM
I have the Zambus on my MM16. I used the AC300S model which threads right onto the leveling studs that the MM bandsaws ship with. The Zambus kit also includes replacement studs that work as well. The only installation issue that I had was in threading the studs through the saw base as the factory was a little generous with the powder coating. They work great.

Barry Londrigan
04-15-2007, 8:15 PM
Thanks Per...I googled Zambus and found the site...and then you took the questions out of my mouth...which one?

Jeff Wright
04-15-2007, 8:18 PM

About $35 each caster.

Steven Evans
04-15-2007, 8:44 PM
I just got the AC-600 Type "S" series with the stud mount. As stated they just thread right on. I went with the 600 series cause bigger is better right LOL?

The "F" series has a flat mounting plate with four holes (9.5mm)for bolts. The "S" series has a single female M12 hole in the top. Mine came with the M12 studs, same as the levelers on the MM20. Website says M16 by special order available.

The BS rolls like a dream. A one handed operation. I am going to do some measuring and see which model I can get onto my 410 combo unit.

Great find. Thanks to someone here on SC.

Doug Shepard
04-15-2007, 8:48 PM
Yep - I got the same one's Jeff recommended on the MM User Group - AC300S. The total with shipping was $151.35. The Delta 50-296 mobile base I had it on is $90 at Amazon. Just MHO, but the Zambus are worth the difference. I also had a little problem on two of the casters due to the same powdercoat problem that Jim mentioned. I did some measuring. From the floor to the bottom of the MM16, it's now 3.5" and will go maybe another inch when the footpads are adjusted down so it's stationary. The Delta had the saw raised off the floor about 3/4" or a bit more. So I'll take the midpoint of the adjusters and say I gained 3" on the table height. I'm 6'3" so the height gain is just icing on the cake. Here's a shot to prove it happened.

Gary Herrmann
04-15-2007, 8:52 PM
I'm 6'7". I think I need those. May have to wait for my bday tho. I can just hear SWMBO now. You spent $150 on what?!?

Doug Shepard
04-15-2007, 9:01 PM
I'm 6'7". I think I need those. May have to wait for my bday tho. I can just hear SWMBO now. You spent $150 on what?!?

At 6'7" maybe you should spend a bit more and get one of their bigger ones? I think they've got dimensioned drawings on their site if you wanted to try and shoot for a particular height increase. Course, it's gonna cost you more.

Steve Rowe
04-15-2007, 9:25 PM

If you get them, just wait till she sees where the charge was made. If I recall correctly, what showed up on my bill was from hair salon. This being the case SWMBO may not think the $150 is out of line.;)
Steve

Jim Dunn
04-15-2007, 9:31 PM

At 5'7" will I have to dig a hole in the floor if I install em on my tools:D

Doug Shepard
04-15-2007, 9:41 PM
At 5'7" will I have to dig a hole in the floor if I install em on my tools:D

Or you could just buy 2 extra plate mount style casters. Run 4 bolts through the soles of your shoes, adjust the casters into the stationary mode, and you'll never notice the table height increase.:D

Don Bullock
04-15-2007, 9:43 PM
Those look great Doug. I may eventually put some of those under some of my machines. Thanks for the information.

Per, thank you for the link.

Roy Wall
04-15-2007, 9:55 PM
Another great report on these Zambus casters.....!!

The wheels are only 2" diameter and the total height is 84 mm (3+ inches)......do they REALLY work this good?? I guess so!

My problem is the garage floor is uneven...plus it slopes gradually from front to back for drainage (/14"-ft fall) ....I guess I could find a flat area.

Jerry White
04-15-2007, 10:09 PM
I became aquainted with the Zambus casters through this website and the MM users group. I needed a little more detailed information to understand the full advantages and SMC came through (thanks Jeff Wright).

So I recently installed the Zambus AC300S casters on my MM16 and I am totally thrilled with the results! So much so that I am thinking of installing the casters on my DJ-20 jointer, which is presently on the Delta mobile base. Has anyone tried these on their jointer?

Doug Shepard
04-16-2007, 10:36 AM
....do they REALLY work this good?? I guess so!

I'm sure sold on them.

My problem is the garage floor is uneven...plus it slopes gradually from front to back for drainage (/14"-ft fall) ....I guess I could find a flat area.

Sounds like the same outfit poured our garage floors. That's probably the biggest reason why the other bases weren't working out for me. I'd no sooner get the saw rolling than I'd bottom it out and catch. At first when using the Johnson bar it was the saw itself catching. That was pretty nerve-racking as the whole saw would come to a lurching stop and wobble a bit. With one hand on the Johnson bar, there's only so much you can do to steady the saw if that happens. Later with the Delta base, it was the back rubber leveling feet sometimes snagging. With a nice even floor, I doubt either base would have problems. The Zambus have the saw raised up enough that this just isn't an issue. And you wont need to worry about a flat area either. When you're ready to use it, you can use the foot pad adjusters to level the saw.

I've been seriously considering getting a Noden Adjust-A-Bench and wondering how the Zambus casters might work under it rather than the caster kit that Noden sells. Now that I've seen how well they work I think I'd definitely do it if I end up with a Noden bench.

Barry Londrigan
12-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi fellas....question regarding the Zambus castors....are these castors locking? (The AC300S or AC600S) I am thinking about ordering a set and was just curious if the lock in place somehow once the bandsaw is moved. It is difficult to tell from the literature.

Doug Shepard
12-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Barry
If you adjust the star shaped knob it lowers the foot down until the weight is on the foot instead of the wheel. It wont budge with the wheels off the floor.

Louis Rucci
12-31-2008, 11:55 AM
I have the same bandsaw and definitly want to see how it looks.

Barry Londrigan
12-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks Doug...that just what I am looking for...by all accounts that I have read hear...it sure does make moving this band saw so much easier...I just wanted to be sure that it will stay in place once moved.

It doesn't sound like these castors would be the type that you would install if it was a piece of machinery that you would periodically have to move out of the way (for instance in a garage shop). I think it would be a hassle to bend down and undo the feet each time you would want to move it, but I do think it is great in this application for me and my MM20.

Louis, there are pictures on here with the MM20 and MM16 with these castors on them. I was looking at them this morning. Do a search on MM20 or zambus.

Mike Heidrick
12-31-2008, 1:24 PM
For those that do not like the $35 a piece Zambus price - great lakes casters sells a clone (I am pretty sure a darn near duplicate copy) of this caster for about $60 for the set of four shipped and there is a woodnet discount from the owner. I have them installed on my MiniMax MM20 and they work perfectly and thread/bolt right on as well.

http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262

Also From Jason the Great Lakes Caster Owner.......

"Hey everyone http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowsmile.gif

Thanks for all the support! Don't for get we have a woodnet forum discount for you. Use "woodnet" at check out and you save an additional 15% on anything on our site. Also check our new the Foot Master (http://www.footmaster.us/) product line of leveling casters for your heavier duty needs and the Foot Master exclusive ergonomic ratcheting leveling casters. (http://footmaster.dorodoint.com/footmaster-ratcheting-casters.html) These caster are currently not on our site for purchase but will be as soon (1-2 weeks) as our photographer finished all the images.

Here is a link to the ratching casters on the manufactures site. http://footmaster.dorodoint.com/footmaster-ratcheting-casters.html (http://footmaster.dorodoint.com/footmaster-ratcheting-casters.html)

We will also have a video demonstration of the ratch online around the same time as the product is available for purchase.

Thanks again for all your support!
Jason
Great Lakes Caster (http://www.greatlakescaster.com/) "

Here is Jason's contact info:
Jason S. Popma
jpopma@greatlakescaster.com (jpopma@greatlakescaster.com)
616.291.6368 cell
877.645.8373 direct e-fax

Doug Shepard
12-31-2008, 2:15 PM
It doesn't sound like these castors would be the type that you would install if it was a piece of machinery that you would periodically have to move out of the way (for instance in a garage shop). I think it would be a hassle to bend down and undo the feet each time you would want to move it, but I do think it is great in this application for me and my MM20.

That's exactly the kind of shop and sort of movement that I have. I was going to mention the ratcheting Footmaster type that Mike posted about as the bending is the one negative drawback to the Zambus. I guess thay tells you how much I didnt like the Johnson bar setup. For most light/short uses though, I just snug 2 of the caster footpads down and it's secure. For something bigger where I was actually pushing some wood that might rool the saw, or be set up for a whole week or more, I'd take the trouble to do all 4 and raise it onto the pads.

Russ Massery
12-31-2008, 2:57 PM
I have the Great Lakes Casters on my G0513X. Love um', I like the way move much better than the mobile bases that I have on my other machines.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-31-2008, 5:11 PM
I'm thinking of getting a set of these for my MM16. Question? Once you move the machine where you want it, how hard is it to " lock" it into postion? Is the mechanism that lowers the stability thing hard to do? Thanks.

Colin Giersberg
12-31-2008, 6:46 PM
How about here.

Zambus, Inc.
300-2 State Route 17 South, Unit C
Lodi, NJ 07644

Tel (973)-777-4922
Fax (973)-777-7728
sales@zambus.com (sales@zambus.com)

Mike Heidrick
12-31-2008, 8:59 PM
Alan, it is not not hard IMO, but you do have to reach down/bend at the waist and reach around the body of the caster with two fingers and rotate a small-ish wheel inside the caster housing. Just a bit annoying but a small price for the movement that they give me on my 800lb+ bandsaw.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks Mike, it sounds worth it. Alan

Gary Herrmann
12-31-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm going to give the greatlakes casters a try.

Mike Heidrick
12-31-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm going to give the greatlakes casters a try.

You will NOT be sorry!

Steve Clardy
01-01-2009, 12:24 AM

I am sure you guys have read this but I laugh every time I read the MM20 manual and it states:

"See Figure 5 Below, Johnson Bar Placement. Note: Always be careful where you place your Johnson".

Now that is sound advice!

Ok. Now how in the world did I miss that little tidbit from long ago. :confused:

ROFLOL :D

Barry Londrigan
01-01-2009, 9:28 PM
yeah...you definitely wanna watch where you put it....there is only one place that it goes :)

I was searching around for the footmaster ratcheting castors....what I was finding were VERY expensive....

Doug Shepard
01-02-2009, 7:06 AM
...I was searching around for the footmaster ratcheting castors....what I was finding were VERY expensive....

Same here. I'm real interested to see what price Great Lakes Caster has on them once they get them listed n their website.

Chris Padilla
01-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Ka-Ching! I just rung myself up for a set of the GL caster for my MM20. I hate the tow bar.

Do all four casters swivel? That would be awesome and improve moving this beast around the garage.

Barry Londrigan
01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Cool Chris! I would love to hear how they work out for you. I would love to know what the quality difference is with the Zambus...I could only imagine it to be longevity...I mean if the GL castors roll the bandsaw around fine...I can't see paying the extra money. I am thinking they swivel...and then feet lowered to lock in place. What model did you get?

Doug Shepard
01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
...Do all four casters swivel? That would be awesome and improve moving this beast around the garage.

Yup. You can rotate the saw 360 in the same spot if you want.

Mike Heidrick
01-03-2009, 12:14 AM
I used the regular $15 casters from GLC and not the ratcheting ones. They work good enough for me.

John Harden
07-12-2009, 1:56 PM
I'm fixin' to order either Zambus or Great Lakes casters for my MM-20 and am wondering how you folks installed them on an 800+ pound tool? I'm leaning towards asking a neighbor to help me and leaning it first one way, then another. Is there an easier way? This seems a bit dangerous as one of us has to balance the thing the whole while the casters are being installed. Then, it's leaning way over to one side until we install the other side. Now that I think more about it, this seems like arecipe for it to fall over.

Also, I'm also leaning towards the Great Lakes version wirh ratched. This ratchet looks pretty cool. What has been the experience of you folks with both? How hard is it to turn the handwheel on the Zambus? I can't imagine I'll move it around much.

Regards,

John

Jeff Wright
07-12-2009, 2:40 PM
I'm fixin' to order either Zambus or Great Lakes casters for my MM-20 and am wondering how you folks installed them on an 800+ pound tool? I'm leaning towards asking a neighbor to help me and leaning it first one way, then another. Is there an easier way? This seems a bit dangerous as one of us has to balance the thing the whole while the casters are being installed. Then, it's leaning way over to one side until we install the other side. Now that I think more about it, this seems like arecipe for it to fall over.

Also, I'm also leaning towards the Great Lakes version wirh ratched. This ratchet looks pretty cool. What has been the experience of you folks with both? How hard is it to turn the handwheel on the Zambus? I can't imagine I'll move it around much.

Regards,

John

As I recall when I installed Zambus on my MM20 I used a 2x6, maybe four feet long or so, slid it under the front side where the dust port is. I then used that to leverage the machine off the floor so I could slide some prepared 2x4 blocks under EACH side of the front edge but not blocking where I had to insert the thread for the Zambus. This way the saw was not rocked one side or the other but straight back on its rear base. Once these two casters were inserted, I removed the 2x4 blocks, lowered the saw onto the new casters and repeated the same process on the rear. I had no assistance. But I did use extreme caution. I am not a professional anything, so use your OWN judgement as to what method is safe and effective.

Doug Shepard
07-12-2009, 3:11 PM
John
I had a neighbor help me rock my mm16 up onto 4x4's. First the front side then the back, with both inboard of the mounting holes. After they're installed you can use the caster levelers to raise it off the 4x4's then pull them out and adjust the levelers back down.

John Harden
07-12-2009, 3:40 PM
As I recall when I installed Zambus on my MM20 I used a 2x6, maybe four feet long or so, slid it under the front side where the dust port is. I then used that to leverage the machine off the floor so I could slide some prepared 2x4 blocks under EACH side of the front edge but not blocking where I had to insert the thread for the Zambus. This way the saw was not rocked one side or the other but straight back on its rear base. Once these two casters were inserted, I removed the 2x4 blocks, lowered the saw onto the new casters and repeated the same process on the rear. I had no assistance. But I did use extreme caution. I am not a professional anything, so use your OWN judgement as to what method is safe and effective.

I'm liking this idea. I can lift one side using the 2X6, install the casters and extend their footpads so that side is now stable. Then, I can slide the 2X6 to the other side and repeat the process. Still, I think I'll enlist one of my neighbors to assist and help steady it.

You guys using Zambus or Great Lakes casters? I'm liking the ratching feature of the GL's, but am wondering how difficult (or not) it is to just use the handwheel on the Zambus'?

Regards,

John

Tom Cross
07-12-2009, 4:38 PM
I have the Zambus caster on Agazzani B-20. I concur they are wonderful. The handwheel is very easy to use as it can be done by hand without any tools.

Jeff Wright
07-12-2009, 5:36 PM
You guys using Zambus or Great Lakes casters? I'm liking the ratching feature of the GL's, but am wondering how difficult (or not) it is to just use the handwheel on the Zambus'?

Regards,

John

It's my opinion that the handwheel on the zambus is intended only for locking the machine in place, not to actually level the machine. I don't see any way a person could turn the handwheel and change that corner's height . . . the machine is simply too heavy to lift it with the small adjustment wheel. I suppose if you were to raise the machine first using a lever, you could then lower the zambus and provide some leveling action. But I find it unnecessary to level a machine; instead I just turn the handwheel enough to prevent the MM20 from coasting out my garage door as I have a sloped floor.

Maybe others can correct me if their use varies.

Mike Heidrick
07-12-2009, 7:48 PM
I definately concur with Jeff.

Not all Great Lakes casters have the handle btw. Some just have the wheel - The $15 ones only have the little hand wheel.

Derek Arita
11-09-2016, 8:17 PM
Had a question on this old thread...looking at my MM16, there's a space under each of the leveling screws, so castors would not mount to a flush bottom surface. How did you get the castors to mount flush with the bottom of the base, rather than recessed into the base?

David Davies
11-10-2016, 6:31 PM
As a voice of dissension -- I mounted Zambus casters on my MM24 and while I've been in the process of trying multiple shop configurations it is significantly easier to move the saw with these casters. However, if I needed to move my bandsaw on a regular basis it would be much quicker and easier with the factory Johnson bar. Having to get down to each corner of the saw and dropping the saw onto each wheel and then lifting it back up again after it was moved takes much longer than simply using the Johnson bar. I'm probably going to take them off. A better option if you don't like the Johnson bar would be to put the bandsaw up on blocks and use a pallet jack.

Dave

Chris Padilla
11-10-2016, 7:27 PM
Keith Outten, the SMC Admin, uses a small pallet jack to move all his stuff around...swears by it.