PDA

View Full Version : Bits for PC 4212

David Romano
04-15-2007, 5:32 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question. I've been thinking about buying the PC 4212 dovetail jig, and with all the talk about the availability/quality of the bits, I am wondering if those bits are the only ones that will work. It seems like a bit of just a slightly different size (not radically different) would work just as well, esp the straight bit. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks
David

Dick Bringhurst
04-15-2007, 8:45 PM
David, I wondered about the same thing when I got my Incra. They sell a kit especially for the Incra. Its expensive. I bought it. The part numbers are the same as the standard bits (Amana) . I've just used the standard bits when replacement was necessary. No problems. Dick B.

David Romano
04-15-2007, 9:59 PM
Dick, are they the same dimensions as the factory bits, but just a different brand? I'm wondering if I need a 17/32" x 3/4" 7 degree bit or maybe I could use a 10 degree bit or a 1/2" x 13/16" 8 degree bit. Am I stuck always making the same size dovetails?

David

Dick Bringhurst
04-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Mine were. I had no problems with the replacement bits. I replaced bit of the same dimentions. Dick B.

Jim Newman
04-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Whiteside makes a bit for the Porter Cable 4212 Dovetail jig system. I do not know whether the bit size is standard or not personally, but have been told it is not.

Brian Penning
04-16-2007, 1:09 PM
Check out page 14 of the Advanced Manual at the PC website.
Here's part of it...

ALTERNATE ROUTER BITS
You are not limited to using the router bits supplied with your jig. Other router bits can be used to produce a different
look or to work with thicker woods. Using alternate bits can help you produce more advanced joints (inlayed
dovetails, etc.). Since 1/2" shank bits are stronger and are much less prone to deflection than the 1/4" shank bits,
we recommend that you use the 1/2" shank bits with the 4210 and 4212 dovetail jigs, and with the 4211 and 4213
accessory kits.
THROUGH-DOVETAIL BITS
If you choose to purchase alternate through-dovetail bits, keep in mind the following:
1. The dovetail bit must have a 7° angle. This angle matches the tapered fingers used to guide the straight bit.
2. The sum of the diameters of the dovetail and straight bits must equal 15/16". For example, a 5/8" dovetail bit
must have a 5/16" straight bit - the sum of both equalling 15/16".
3. The length of the cutter determines the maximum thickness of wood that can be cut. The length of the cutter
on the dovetail bit is the maximum thickness of the pin board. The length of the cutter on the straight bit is the
maximum thickness of the tail board. If your bits have 1" cutters, you can make through-dovetails with 1" thick
boards.
4. Purchase bits that will not cut into the template guides. The template guide used with the dovetail bit has an
inside diameter of 21/32". Use bits that will fit into this dimension. Some larger bits might work, but with
minimal depth (Fig. 18A).
5. The inside diameter of the template guide used with the straight bit is 17/32". Use straight bits that are smaller
than that dimension.

Alex Berkovsky
04-16-2007, 2:06 PM
Whiteside makes replacement bits for DC 4212. I bought mine from Hartville Tools but I am sure other vendors sell them as well.

Whiteside 7 Degree dovetail bit part #RD7531.
Whiteside straight bit part #R1064A.

Lou Ferrarini
04-16-2007, 2:32 PM
Woodcraft carries the Whiteside replacement bits also.

David Romano
04-16-2007, 4:25 PM
Great, thanks everybody for the advice! Being able to use at least some variety of bits makes me feel better about buying the jig.

We getting hit pretty hard by this nor 'easter here in New Hampshire. Rained and snowed all day yeasterday and last night. Haven't had power for most of the day, roads flooded out, what a mess.

David

Todd Hyman
04-17-2007, 9:55 AM
Whiteside makes replacement bits for DC 4212. I bought mine from Hartville Tools but I am sure other vendors sell them as well.

Whiteside 7 Degree dovetail bit part #RD7531.
Whiteside straight bit part #R1064A.

There is a woodnet discount from Hartville Tools. I think 20%.