PDA

View Full Version : Todays Turnings ... NE Bowl and HF

Shane Whitlock
04-15-2007, 5:00 PM
A couple of small turnings from today. A Box Elder burl natural edge bowl and a Cottonwood hollow form.
The HF is 6" tall w/CA and BLO finish. The bowl 4" wide, no finish yet, just sanded to 1200. As soon as my new vacuum pump gets here I will mount it in a vacuum chuck and turn the foot smaller and round its edges a bit.

Comments/Critiques always appreciated,
Shane

Nancy Laird
04-15-2007, 5:33 PM
Shane,

Both of these are beautiful pieces, but I wouldn't turn the foot smaller on the bowl - it seems perfectly proportioned to me. Rounding the bottom at little? Only a tad. How are you going to finish the bowl?

Nancy

Leo Pashea
04-15-2007, 5:39 PM
As soon as my new vacuum pump gets here I will mount it in a vacuum chuck and turn the foot smaller and round its edges a bit.

Comments/Critiques always appreciated,
Shane

Beautiful turnings Shane. The HF is very nice, the wood is the pretty. The Burl bowl is very nice too, and I agree with you regarding the foot. A bit smaller and an easing of the edges would be more pleasing to the eye. I don't know what you have planned for the finish for the Elder, but I would use lacquer, to preserve that wonderful color without darkening it. Nice work all around.

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2007, 6:02 PM
Shane - great looking pieces!

Absolutely love the look of the HF! Great form and wonderful color!

I have to agree with you and Leo in that I think the foot on the bowl should be rounded over. Wonderful natural color to the bowl - I've only used oils and know that will yellow the wood. Have to agree with Leo once again and suggest using lacquer in order to seal the bowl and minimize the loss of any of the natural color. Make sure you post the finished results - if you can.

Overall - very nice work! Looking forward to your next post!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-15-2007, 7:04 PM
Nice Job Shane! Both of these look great. Any ideas as to the finish for the NE or will you leave it as is? Keep up the good work!:)

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Shane those are a couple of beauties. I like the cottonwood. I would put a smaller foot on the NE. I think that would be slightly more pleasing.

Shane was the cottonwood dry or green? Thanks.

Neal Addy
04-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Both are really nice. I don't know if I'd change anything.

Dominic Greco
04-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Shane,
The hollow form is damn nice. The shape is also nicely done.

Have you ever tried Watco's Danish oil on the cottonwood? I think you'd might like it over the BLO. It does not darken the wood, but still pops the grain nicely.

And I totally agree with you about the foot on the natural edge burl bowl. Smaller, a little shorter (to make it appear that the bowl is "floating" above the surface of the table) would definitely do the trick

Jonathon Spafford
04-16-2007, 12:33 PM
These pieces are wonderful! You kinda skipped the learning curve and went right into the advanced class didn't ya ;) Awesome work... that burl form is a beautiful piece and although there may be subtle corrections that could be made (I still don't know myself if a smaller foot would look that much better) I don't know if I would risk ruining the work with re-chucking... hey, nobody else would notice! Both pieces are awesome and you did an excellent job! Keep the pix comin'!

Shane Whitlock
04-16-2007, 5:53 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone, I appreciate them. :D I tried to reply last night but couldn't get on the site for some reason.

No oil finish on the NE, it will just be buffed and polished with White Diamond and carnauba wax. I have done a couple of Box Elder bowls this way and the grain still pops but doesn't amber any.

Bernie the cottonwood was dry. The HAT (http://www.pbase.com/shaner/image/75997109) I turned a while back was very green, both are real easy to work with.

Dominic, thanks for the suggestion. I have used Watco danish oil a lot on other projects. I will keep it in mind for the next piece of cottonwood.

Thanks again,
Shane

John Chandler
04-16-2007, 7:06 PM
Good looking pieces.