PDA

View Full Version : What should I sell my DW735 planer for?

Mac Cambra
04-15-2007, 3:44 PM
Guys,

I thought I would like to ask for some pricing advice, I will be looking to sell my DW735 lunchbox planer, that is in perfect condition. It is just over 2 years old and has had maybe 200-250 BF of hard wood lumber run through it. I just did the first blad change a couple weeks ago. In addition to the plane I have the Dewalt mobile base and the infeed/outfeed tables.

The only reason I am selling is due to a significant upgrade, teaser for an upcoming gloat...........:D Need to assemble and get some pictures.

If you guys can think of any reason to keep this tool as a complimentary capability to let me know.

Thanks

Joe Chritz
04-15-2007, 3:50 PM
The lunchbox planers do a nice job on very thin lumber and may leave a smoother surface.

When I get my new planer (soon I hope) I will be selling the lunchbox.

Joe

Mike Henderson
04-15-2007, 5:34 PM
I bought a DW735 planer in about the same condition as yours for $300. At that time, you could buy a rebuilt DW735 (with a warrantee) for $350 so the seller and I settled on $300 for a used one.

I don't know if the rebuilt DW735s are still available, but I'd use them as a guideline and go just a bit under that price for yours.

But in the end, it's all what the buyer is willing to pay. Start high and negotiate.

Mike

Dave Falkenstein
04-15-2007, 6:05 PM
A guideline I have used selling tools is 1/2 of the current street price for the tool and accessories.

Dave Sweeney
04-15-2007, 6:17 PM
$300-$325 for the planer & tables sounds about right. I have the same setup as you and feel it should be worth more than that but with the price of recons. being what they are that's probably all an informed buyer will pay.

I also have the stand, and love it by the way, and if I was you I'd hold onto it. You'll never get out of it anywhere near what you have into it and a mobile stand like that will always come in handy for a variety of uses.

Andrew Williams
04-15-2007, 8:07 PM
A lunchbox planer won't press cup out of a board as much. It may only need a slight face-flattening of a cupped surface to get a flat board. A full-size planer is more likely to just press the cup out and spring back.

Mac Cambra
04-16-2007, 12:25 PM
I appreciate the inputs, I am leaning toward keeping it but the little woman is pushing that I sell it as part of the upgrade justification.

I think I may employ the passive aggressive stall technique and see if I can wait her out :cool:

Paul Johnstone
04-16-2007, 11:38 PM
I really hate to side with a wife on a tool issue.. BUT..

Come on man, you don't need two planers. :)

Once you get a bigger planer, you won't want to use the lunchbox anymore. Trust me.

Save the passive aggressive approach for another day.. No sense in letting her see all the tricks right now.

Eugene A. Manzo III
04-17-2007, 9:22 AM
I think it is worth at least $20.00 ---- Tell you what the checks in the mail sold to the guy from Maine for $20.00 :) . Sell the planer and buy something smaller you can hide from wife :p