PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinions on a carving tool.

Brian Kent
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
I need to buy one gouge. Just one. It's not going to be another slippery slope. Really.

But since I only need one - a 14mm #7 straight gouge - to follow some directions on letter carving - I might as well try out a good tool. I'll try it on for size and then actually have a reference point next time I need to buy JUST ONE carving tool.

So - can anyone share some wisdom with a pre-beginner on your favorite brands (or what to avoid)?

Pat Zabinski
04-15-2007, 1:01 PM
I've tried a variety of brands, and I've talked with several fellow carvers about their preferences, and it seems like choosing favorite brands of gouges is like choosing favorite ice cream toppings, in that every person is going to have a slightly different answer, but there is a common top-two or top-three that most people pick.

Personally, I have Pfeil ("Swiss Made") and Two Cherries, and I've tried a few other off-brands. My personal preference is for Pfeil, which I believe is only available from Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com). Although the other brands are high-quality, I find Pfeil better matches my needs, because:

* they have strong steel and sharpens easily and stay sharp
* they come pre-sharpened at a low angle, which is great for the
woods I carve (although a steeper angle would stay sharper longer on hard woods, it also makes intricate work more difficult)
* I can buy one tool at at time
* they offer a wide variety of gouges (shapes, sizes, ..)
* the price is about par with the others
* they seem to fit my hand well

I have tried a few other brands that I like as well, but my inventory of Pfeil tools is significant enough and my experience with them has been
good enough that I plan to stick with them.

John Timberlake
04-15-2007, 3:41 PM
The Pfiel Swiss tools are great. They come sharp enough to use although I usually hone them on a leather wheel. They hold an edge really well. I have tool that are 30 years old with occasional use and have only used leather on them. And the prices are lower than they were a few years ago.

Mike Henderson
04-15-2007, 5:25 PM
Most of my carving tools are Pfeil but I also have some Ashley Iles and Henry Taylor. All are good. I had a problem with the Henry Taylor tools when I first got them because the edge was over hardened and it chipped easily. After a couple of sharpenings, the over hard steel was removed and they now work fine.

If you assume that the steel is about the same in all quality (or brand name) carving tools, then the shape of the handle becomes the most important factor. Try to get your hands on some tools and see which one fits you best.

Finally, carving tools need to be SHARP! Learning how to sharpen them is at least half the battle in learning to carve. My contribution to that is here (http://members.cox.net/mnh-overflow/Papers/SharpeningCarvingTools.pdf). I haven't updated the paper but I now use the green honing compound from Lee Valley.

Good Luck!!

Mike

Brian Kent
04-15-2007, 6:56 PM
These are some of the tool names I thought might hear. I think I'll try the Pfeil brand to see how it fits my hand. The price at Woodcraft isn't bad.

All of my sharpening is geared toward chisels and plane blades. Can your sharpening system be built onto a slow grinder (6" - 1725 rpm) or on a slow setting of a drill press? I don't know what the speed is on a lathe.

If not, is there another system that I could use that doesn't require a big investment at first (powerstrop, slip stone, or anything else I've heard about and never tried)?

Mike Henderson
04-15-2007, 7:01 PM
These are some of the tool names I thought might hear. I think I'll try the Pfeil brand to see how it fits my hand. The price at Woodcraft isn't bad.

All of my sharpening is geared toward chisels and plane blades. Can your sharpening system be built onto a slow grinder (6" - 1725 rpm) or on a slow setting of a drill press? I don't know what the speed is on a lathe.

If not, is there another system that I could use that doesn't require a big investment at first (powerstrop, slip stone, or anything else I've heard about and never tried)?

Sure, a slow speed grinder with this honing/sharpening system will work fine. It might be a bit faster than my lathe but it'll work fine. In fact, anything that will spin the disk will work. Just be safe.

The only real danger of too fast a speed is that it might spin the leather off. So when you use this, stand just to the side of it and make sure you use some good glue to attach the leather.

Mike

Louis Bois
04-15-2007, 7:13 PM
Hi Brian,

I tend to go with the Auriou brand...and no, it's not just because I'm French.

The steel they use is wonderful and they hold an edge tremendously well. They arrive sharp with only a honing required. The handles aren't for everyone, but I happen to like the octagonal shape and they fit my hand well...then again, I think the Pfeil brand uses octagonal handles as well. I think they're one of the better modern options available...still made the old-fashioned way...by hand! Have a look...

"The Best Things" sells them...

Cheers,

Carl Eyman
04-15-2007, 8:20 PM
I bought a bunch of carving tools (pfeil) from a guy in Canada. His price in Canadian $ was about the same or lower than US suppliers in US$. Good service. Check the internet or pm me and I'll try to dredge up his name.

Mike Henderson
04-15-2007, 8:54 PM
I bought a bunch of carving tools (pfeil) from a guy in Canada. His price in Canadian $ was about the same or lower than US suppliers in US$. Good service. Check the internet or pm me and I'll try to dredge up his name.
If it's the same guy I buy from, Carl, it's KMS Tools (http://www.kmstools.com/main.php?scripts/products/cat.php?63&2)and the guy is Bob Gadd (if my memory serves). The only reason I didn't recommend them is the shipping cost for one tool. But I agree - they have good prices, good service, and Bob is a good guy to work with.

Mike

Pam Niedermayer
04-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Pfeil make nice carving tools, but I also like Dastra, Stubai, and those from several old makers such as Addis, Herring, and Maier.

Pam