PDA

View Full Version : Grinding wheel.

Rich Stewart
04-15-2007, 3:17 AM
The time is coming when I need to get a new grinding wheel to sharpen my tools. I have the PSI 8" two speed grinder. What do you all think would be the best new wheels to get? And where. Thanks.

Rich

Tom Morton
04-15-2007, 7:16 AM
Blue wheels from Oneway 56 and 80 grit and the balancing device if your grinder will accept the wheels. A phone call to oneway will answer that question. The blue wheels are my 3rd set and are lasting 3 times longer that any others I have tried.

Doug Thompson
04-15-2007, 7:38 AM
Rich,
The quest for the perfect wheel is a tough one with a hundred answers but IMO ONLY this is what I found.

Norton is the best brand name wheel on the market period. They have two wheels that stand out one is the "SG" the other is a "3X"

At $90-100 the SG is the best wheel they sell for a bench grinder. I own a set from Packard, great wheel but tend to grove if your not careful. It must be a "I" grade.

The Norton 3X is half the price and still a very nice wheel. I have used a 46 grit "K" grade wheel to rough grind the tools. I would buy this again if it ever wears out... this is one tough wheel. I also bought a 80 grit "K" wheel but only ground about 20 tools with it so I haven't formed a opinion. It looks good so far.

George Tokarev
04-15-2007, 9:06 AM
Green SiC from http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=105-677 site would be my choice. Actually is my choice. 100 grit for touchups. I don't grind for shape, but if I had to, I'd use my sander like I do for the lawnmower each spring. Whenever that finally arrives.

It's not expensive, but you can tell people it is.

Balance is a great idea, but you'd be surprised how quickly a touch of lead foil interrupting a section of cardboard washer takes care of that. Don't play the game with the stone on the grinder, check heavy with a bolt for an axle.

Also not expensive, but it's fairly obvious how cheap you are unless you hide it well.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2007, 9:43 AM
Rich I use the Norton 3X. This wheel has last longer than any others I have tried. It is one tough wheel.

Jim Becker
04-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Norton 3x. 60 grit on one side; 100 grit on the other. And the OneWay balancing system. Nothing better for close to the price!

Doug Thompson
04-15-2007, 12:18 PM
George, LoL I didn't think anyone else used a green wheel. For my personal tools I use a old 6 inch high speed grinder with a 100 grit green wheel on one side and a old 36? grit gray wheel on the other. No fancy jigs, the old stock rests and it works perfect.

George Tokarev
04-15-2007, 1:43 PM
Yep, like the writeup in the catalog says, it's especially suitable for HSS because it removes so little. I have almost three years on my now 1 x 5" 100 grit. Three months did in one of the soft white AlOx.

Leo Pashea
04-15-2007, 5:46 PM
Norton 3x. 60 grit on one side; 100 grit on the other. And the OneWay balancing system. Nothing better for close to the price!

Precisely. ;)