PDA

View Full Version : Any Tenneseeans south of Nashville??

Joe Tonich
12-27-2003, 9:49 PM
I'm looking for information on areas to check out. It's been two years since my parents passed away and the estate is finally out of probate so I can move on. My Dad has had a heart condition for a long time and we stayed so I could help out as needed. My family and I are looking to move to Tenn. hopefully in the near future. We will be down there camping and looking around near the end of March or the beginning of April. Any info. about areas to check (Schools, Towns, etc...) would definitely be helpful. My boys, 9 & 10 yrs. old, go to a Cath. school now and SWMBO would like to keep them in a Cath. (or other religous) type school. I'd like to stay south of Nashville to be somewhat close to a favorite cousin and her husband in Alabama. I go down to 'Bama every year (since I was 5) and really love the southern atmosphere, but SWMBO likes the change of seasons, so we're compromising. :D Any advice or info. would be helpful.

Thanks,

Joe

Sparky Paessler
12-28-2003, 5:18 PM
Joe
You might want to consider East Tennessee. Doesn't get as hot as middle Tennessee and we get snow instead of Ice Storms! Also no tornados like west Tennessee gets.

From Memphis orginally

Sparky Paessler

Steve Powell
01-12-2004, 7:50 PM
I also think you might want to check out the Knoxville area. There are many nice areas just west of Knoxville that are still rural but close enough to the big city to keep things easy.

I live quite a ways east of Knoxville, actually just about 20 minutes from Sparky. Northeast Tennessee is beautiful especially when you go to the NC/TN border. Knoxville is still close and has much better weather than Nashville and Knoxville and environs is not nearly as hard to navigate as Nashville. Cheaper to settle in also.

Bruce Page
01-12-2004, 8:35 PM
Joe, I spend a few weeks each year at the Arnold Engineering Research Center just south of Manchester. Manchester is nice, but I really like the Murfreesboro area off of highway 24. When I get closer to retirement I am going to seriously check it out. ;)

Rob Littleton
01-13-2004, 12:50 AM
How ironic......

I am talking to my wife now about moving out that way. I mean that state way. See, I came to the US 9 years ago from the UK and landed and settled in the bay area, california. Its been real nice but toooooo busy now and if there is a piece of grass out here not big enough to build 3 houses on, they will build 3 houses on it. I watched them tear down a private school my son went to when we first go there, and put 5 houses on it. Incredible.....

My wife is born and raised here and moved to the UK for work years ago. She is thinking Phoenix (coz thats where the sister lives) but heck, i struglle with California temperatures sometimes.

Now, TN, I lhave NEVER been to but always have wanted to since I was a kid. I dont like the snow but hey, I can live with it if I have to.

I am giving serious consideration to miving out there. I am looking at realtor.com regularly and the land and homes look great.

I would really be interested in your feedback to the brother that posted the original question and any extra you can give me.

thanksl

Dick Parr
01-13-2004, 8:41 AM
I was going to email you some info, but you don't allow email. If you would like some more info on east TN, then please email me.

Rob Littleton
01-13-2004, 11:39 AM
I was going to email you some info, but you don't allow email. If you would like some more info on east TN, then please email me.

Im sorry about that Dick....

you can send an email to robl@cisco.com.

I dont want to take away form the original message though.

thanks for your help.

Joe Tonich
01-13-2004, 3:59 PM
Thanks,

From all the input of advice, (here, co-workers, web sites, etc...) I'm seriously looking into the Knoxville area. I can't believe the diff in cost of living compared to Cleveland. The weather sounds fantastic and the cost of TAXES, compared to here, is unbelievable. Will be making a week long trip during my boys spring break to look and ask around. :D

Thanks again,

Joe

Rob Littleton
01-13-2004, 4:06 PM
Thanks,

From all the input of advice, (here, co-workers, web sites, etc...) I'm seriously looking into the Knoxville area. I can't believe the diff in cost of living compared to Cleveland. The weather sounds fantastic and the cost of TAXES, compared to here, is unbelievable. Will be making a week long trip during my boys spring break to look and ask around. :D

Thanks again,

Joe

check out www.realtor.com too. some beautiful places listed.

we might be neighbors hehehe

Joe Tonich
01-13-2004, 4:20 PM
check out http://www.realtor.com too. some beautiful places listed.

we might be neighbors hehehe

Rob,

I've been checking out : http://www.unitedcountry.com/ucforms/uconline/uconline/searchv2/Search_Other_Criteria.Asp

Cannot believe the cost of housing and land. What I wouldn't give for some of the scenery of some of those "looking out the front door" pics! :D Now all I see are lots of houses on 60'+/- wide lots. :(

Joe

Steve Powell
01-13-2004, 6:34 PM
Yes, it's quite nice and if you hunt there are quite a few options available for deer, hog, etc.
Fishing options are even better. The Tennessee Valley Authority maintains several large dammed lakes as part of their power generation plan. These facilities are also maintained for a variety of public recreational usage.

The variety offered from Knoxville is great. In one hour you can be in the Smokey Mts if you go southeast. In an hour you can be in the plateau region around Cookeville going West in two hours you can be in Nashville. Go East and you have the Tri-Cities region about 1 1/2 hours. Go south-southwest and you are in Chattanooga in a little over an hour.

Can't ask for more to do or see. If you are bored it's your own fault.