PDA

View Full Version : Woohooooooo - Fresh Wood

Pat Doble
04-14-2007, 11:13 PM
And free too.:) :D

LOML called me at work yesterday and said a co-worker was taking down a couple of box elders and wanted to know if I wanted any. :eek: (You'd think by now she'd know the answer to that question - considering my car never made it into the garage this winter and there's a garage/workshop expansion now planned for this summer). This hobby/vortex sure has me hooked good.

But on to the haul and a couple pictures of some of what's left...
(The poor little Rikon in pic 2 just isn't going to cut it for long with wood like this).

We took two trees down. The large one pictured had lots of color, the second - about 25ft away - had virtually no color (just one branch had about 6ft worth).

And is it wrong that I was coveting his neighbors BE (it had burls...) ?? ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Congrat Pat! I enjoy turning Box Elder! I'd like to turn some green box elder someday. So far I've turned nothing but Free but dry box elder!

If I may.........You can covet your neighbors burl....but I'd stop there! And I wouldn't be harvesting without permission even in the dark of night! My neighbors are aware of my loaded shotgun........So was one of my daughter's boyfriends when she was in HS!

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Boy Pat what a gloat. Yep it is wrong to covet thy neighbors burl. What a haul.

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Congrats on the wood haul Pat! Should keep you busy for at least a couple of weeks! Have fun and post what you turn out of it!

Ryan Cathey
04-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Yeah, that commandment was on the tablet that broke

Tom Sherman
04-15-2007, 10:10 AM
great gloat there Pat looks like you'll have plenty to do for a long while.

Mark Pruitt
04-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Green with envy......
congrats on a great find!

George Conklin
04-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Way to go, Pat!!! You've got enough wood there to last a good long while!
You better get busy sealing it all up;) .

Terry Quiram
04-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Oh man you must be a glutton for punishment. That makes me tired just looking at that pile. You either need to buy a larger lathe or sell some blanks to me.:D Congrats on your BE wealth.
Terry

Leo Pashea
04-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Nice haul.............that should keep you out of the tavern, or the wife's hair for a week or so. :D

Glenn Hodges
04-15-2007, 3:34 PM
What a great pile of wood. I wish that stuff grew down here.

Steve Kubien
04-15-2007, 5:53 PM
Nice haul. You need a bigger lathe and some serious free time.

Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario

Christopher K. Hartley
04-15-2007, 7:06 PM
I've got to agree with Steve...BIGGER Lathe. See John Hart, I think he has a Monster lathe in mind and you have just the blank. Congrats!!:)