PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear NE

Terry Quiram
04-14-2007, 5:38 PM
This NE is a result of our clubs monthly challange. This happens to be my first NE. I didn't realize the wood was full of worms until I got into it.:eek: Cut a few in half and picked a couple out with dental pick. 6"dia x 2 1/2-3" tall, lacquar finish.

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2007, 5:53 PM
Terry - I like it! Haven't turned an NE yet but sure like yours! Also haven't turned any pear and notice that there is no sapwood color change in your NE. Looks great! I did turn one cherry burl that was full of worms and have to admit pulling them out of the wood was a little different. Can't tell from the photos - did you dental pick to get all the sawdust out of the worm holes? I know it took me longer to do that on mine than it did to turn the bowl in the first place!

Nice looking NE! Looking forward to your next one!

Terry Quiram
04-14-2007, 6:18 PM
Steve, some of the dust fell out but most stayed in. There may very well be worm carcusses in there. I DNA soaked it then nuked it dry.

Terry

Jonathon Spafford
04-14-2007, 8:45 PM
Wonderful bowl! That wood is really great as is the turning and finish! The worm holes just add character! Looks great to me!

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Terry what a wonderful bowl. It is a beauty. I like the worm holes. Really sets it off. Nice job.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Very nice first NE Terry! I enjoy turning those about as much as anything. It's always a challenge to keep that bark on and it looks like you rose to the challenge! Well done Sir!

Ed Scolforo
04-15-2007, 6:27 AM
Very nice form, Terry. Keep 'em coming!

Leo Pashea
04-15-2007, 8:22 AM
Beautiful Terry. I really like the warm color of that Pear, and the worm holes add great character. I also like the undulating rim, and the thin walls. Heck, I guess I just like everything there is about this one!

Tom Sherman
04-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Nice NE Terry, I have turned a little bit of BP and it is nice to turn sometimes has some nice grain sometimes is pretty plain.

Mark Pruitt
04-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Good job on the NE! I've cut into a couple of worms too while turning. Kinda makes you glad you're wearing a face shield.

Frank Kobilsek
04-15-2007, 2:28 PM
Terry
Looks like you are ready for Dennis' Chapet Challenge. I got mine roughed and DNAed just gotta get home and finish turn.
Looking forward to seeing yours.
Frank