PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Shelix on Yorkcraft YC-8J Need Help

Chris Fetting
04-14-2007, 5:35 PM
I read all the praise on the forum about the Byrd Shelix and purchased one from Holbren. After installation my Jointer screams. It has a high pitched wine whenever it is running. Did I ruin the bearing? I had a very difficult time removing the bearings from the old cutterhead and pryed and pounded until they were off because I did not have a gear puller. Any advice? Thanks

Alan Schaffter
04-14-2007, 5:50 PM
Get some new bearings.

glenn bradley
04-14-2007, 5:53 PM
I have found that almost without exception; when I pry and pound as opposed to waiting to get the right tools, I do more damage than good. The exception is working on automobiles; I can mess them up no matter how good of tools I might have :) . I would suspect bearings. At that speed and load (belt tension), even a slight problem will sound like a screaming meemie.

Alan Schaffter
04-14-2007, 5:58 PM
Get some new bearings.

Cary Swoveland
04-14-2007, 6:17 PM
They are no doubt standard size metric bearings, cheap and widely available. After removing the old bearings and before installing the new ones, put the cutterhead in the freezer for a few hours. The new bearings should go on very easily.

Cary

Chris Fetting
04-14-2007, 7:24 PM
Thanks guys! I will get some new bearings this week and try the freezer trick. I will post an update to see if this solves the noise problem.

Mike Heidrick
04-14-2007, 7:35 PM
HF has the gear puller set for about $14.
Sears has one for $50 if no Harbor Freight stores close by.

Steve knight
04-14-2007, 8:20 PM
now the head will whisle while runnning or more of a roar. it makes more noise while running but no extra noise when cutting. but it's best to jsut replace the bearing when you isntall it. far easier then trying to remove the old ones.

Chris Fetting
04-17-2007, 7:55 PM
Installed the new bearings today. Purchased the gear puller from HF to remove the damaged ones. I knew better than to use a hammer, but I was in a hurry. Sounds great now, thanks for the advice.