PDA

View Full Version : Cushions for Compressor

John Hulett
04-14-2007, 1:22 PM
I bought a 60-gal IR compressor a couple of months ago, and want to get it mounted and powered this weekend. I know I need to anchor (bolt) it to the floor, and I understand I should use some sort of cushion to dampen the vibration.

I've found a cuple of things on the internet that might work, but I'm not sure - I thought I'd go to the voices of experience here at SMC.

What have you used to cushion your compressor?

- John

Mike Hill
04-14-2007, 1:36 PM
John: I purchased mine from the manufacturer of my compressor, but basically if you can find an old tire it would work fine. Just cut the pieces square with a hacksaw and a little larger than the legs of you compressor, drill a hole in the center and bolt the compressor to the floor with concrete mollies.
Mike

Cary Swoveland
04-14-2007, 1:41 PM
Hockey pucks!

Cary

Ken Garlock
04-14-2007, 1:43 PM
John, it sounds like we have very similar compressors. I tto have a 60 gal 5 hp IR. I bought some shock mounts from McMaster & Carr.

Each one is good for 300#. I mounted two on each of two 2X4s. Since my compressor is along a wall, I want to the compressor to be away from the wall for air circulation. I positioned the 2x4s perpendicular to the wall and worked the compressor legs on the the shock mounts. The mounts are screwed to the 2x4s and the compressor legs are bolted to the shock mounts. The unit has not moved in 4 years (it is not bolted to the floor.) The compressor does sway about 1 inch at start up and shutdown, but that is no big deal, the mounts are just doing their job. The unit is located in a garage about 10 ft. from the shop. Both are part of the same structure.

These compressors are made for industrial use, and as such, do make a lot of noise when running. I advise against putting it in directly in your shop. If you must, then build a closet to help muffle the sound.

John Hulett
04-14-2007, 1:54 PM
Hockey pucks!

Cary

I heard that somewhere before....

John Hulett
04-14-2007, 1:55 PM
John, it sounds like we have very similar compressors. I tto have a 60 gal 5 hp IR. I bought some shock mounts from McMaster & Carr.

Each one is good for 300#. I mounted two on each of two 2X4s. Since my compressor is along a wall, I want to the compressor to be away from the wall for air circulation. I positioned the 2x4s perpendicular to the wall and worked the compressor legs on the the shock mounts. The mounts are screwed to the 2x4s and the compressor legs are bolted to the shock mounts. The unit has not moved in 4 years (it is not bolted to the floor.) The compressor does sway about 1 inch at start up and shutdown, but that is no big deal, the mounts are just doing their job. The unit is located in a garage about 10 ft. from the shop. Both are part of the same structure.

These compressors are made for industrial use, and as such, do make a lot of noise when running. I advise against putting it in directly in your shop. If you must, then build a closet to help muffle the sound.

Ken - have you got a picture? I think you're right about our compressors being the same...

Jim Becker
04-14-2007, 2:22 PM
I just used two pieces of 2x4 to mount mine, isolating it from the floor and also raising it a little so the pipe for my auto-drain was easier to deal with. But hockey pucks are also an excellent and relatively inexpensive idea!

Andrew Williams
04-14-2007, 2:36 PM
I have no experience in this since my compressor has wheels and rubber feet (it's a smaller one). I did work in the acoustics field for a while when I built my first recording studio, and had to learn about vibration decoupling. Has anyone ever tried making a sandwich out of plywood and urethane (sorbothane or the generic equivalent). You would have to make it a triple-decker. That way the concrete fasteners can fasten the bottom wood "bread" to the floor, the urethane "meat" is held on there by some kind of adhesive, and the outer wooden "bread" could be bolted to the machine.

Just a theory

Jeff Miller
04-14-2007, 2:47 PM
Thick truck or trailer rubber mud flap double thickness =quiet air compressor:D

John Ricci
04-14-2007, 2:58 PM
Ditto on the hockey pucks. I buy them by the dozen and use them for feet on any stand that does not roll and I used them to fit a 2'x8' benchtop over two rolling tool cabinets for an instant bench. Pucks rule!

J.R.

Cary Swoveland
04-14-2007, 3:40 PM
...and also raising it a little so the pipe for my auto-drain was easier to deal with...
Jim, I've been considering getting an auto-drain. I believe there are inexpensive ones that work on pressure alone, and more expensive ones that have electric timers. Advice?

Cary

Carroll Courtney
04-14-2007, 4:44 PM
If you have an A/C supply house near by or Grainger they have isolation pads made out of cork w/ rubber.Comes in 3/4" When we install compressor at work or chillers we set them on these type of pads.

Ken Garlock
04-14-2007, 4:58 PM
Hey John, here are a couple pictures of my compressor setup.

The big picture

Shock mount of feet

Plumbing out of the accumulator

The air line between the accumulator and the wall mounted filter/regulator is Teflon with a stainless steel jacket. You will need some type of flexible link between the accumulator and your distribution system.

Wiring is a length of 10 Ga. air conditioner extension cord I got at the Borg. The electrican had already put in a 240V 30Amp plug.

Bill Roland
04-14-2007, 5:54 PM
Jim, I've been considering getting an auto-drain. I believe there are inexpensive ones that work on pressure alone, and more expensive ones that have electric timers. Advice?

Cary

Grainger has the ones that go off when the pressure drops 10lb. They cost around $80 I think. I recently used two at work.

Tyler Howell
04-14-2007, 7:35 PM
I left mine right on the pallet it came on.
Plenty of clearence for the drain system, great stability and good vibration damping.

Bruce Wrenn
04-14-2007, 11:36 PM

CaryHF has theirs on sale for about eight or nine bucks regularly till now. Now I need one and so they aren't on sale. Works on pessure release piping to switch.

Bruce Wrenn
04-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Ken, from photos, looks like recpt. is upside down. Cord doubles back on itself, instead of hanging down as originally intended.

John Schreiber
04-14-2007, 11:49 PM
I found a really nice description of how the auto drain valves work here at http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/. I hadn't understood before.

Bart Leetch
04-15-2007, 12:19 AM
I find all this goings on about compressors interesting. Mine just has 1 1/2" square tubing in a + on the bottom with adjustable feet off of an old portable bench. Been working fine for about 10 years now.

It all kind reminds me of a guy the had a 3 1/2" thick concrete floor in his carport but had 6" of concrete underneath his chest freezer somehow he thought the freezer would need thicker concrete to support it than a car does.

Maybe if the compressor is in an upstairs room or situated where the vibration noise needs to be isolated it may be necessary but not for a garage or stand alone shop especially on a concrete floor.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Richard Butler
04-15-2007, 1:35 AM
Hockey pucks!

Cary

Hockey pucks are too hard. My compressor came with some square pieces of steel and rubber.The steel plate is what the feet are in contact with with the rubber between the floor and the plate. Campbell Hausfeld say not to crank the bolts down. Just snug is good.

Richard Butler
04-15-2007, 1:47 AM
I find all this goings on about compressors interesting. Mine just has 1 1/2" square tubing in a + on the bottom with adjustable feet off of an old portable bench. Been working fine for about 10 years now.

Maybe if the compressor is in an upstairs room or situated where the vibration noise needs to be isolated it may be necessary but not for a garage or stand alone shop especially on a concrete floor.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The new compressors are a bit different than your old one. The feet are lighter and may crack if not padded/isolated from the concrete floor.

Bart Leetch
04-15-2007, 11:07 AM
The new compressors are a bit different than your old one. The feet are lighter and may crack if not padded/isolated from the concrete floor.

Isn't that a shame at the cost of a piece of new equipment now days you think they would allow $10-$20 more to put decent feet on them.
I'd pay the extra just to have it right.

Of course I built my own air compressor from donated parts only new item on it is the pressure switch & gages. 50 gallon tank total cost about $25 runs nail guns & my impact wrench just fine.

Matt Meiser
04-15-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't have my vertical IR bolted down. I've been meaning to attach a safety chain between the top and the wall, but have never gotten around to it. Under each foot I have two pieces of rubber anti-fatige matting which works great and really reduced the noise.

Don Abele
04-15-2007, 4:01 PM
Like Tyler, I left mine on the pallet it came with. Not only does it isolate it, it ensures I maintain adequate room around it, and really makes it easy to move (which I tend to do every 2-3 years).

On the auto-drain, I got one off eBay for $50 and it works great. I had to notch the support on the pallet to get it to fit, but it only took 30 minutes total to install (including notching).

Take care,

Doc

Ken Garlock
04-20-2007, 4:30 PM
Ken, from photos, looks like recpt. is upside down. Cord doubles back on itself, instead of hanging down as originally intended.

Yes, I know Bruce. I always thought that the cord plug was bass-acwards. The cord was originally for a window air conditioner and as such the cord would be coming out of the top and heading over to the AC unit. It will probably take a good long time for the 10 Ga wire to have fatigue failure.;)

Rich Stevens
04-20-2007, 5:18 PM
Auto drains are a must if you want to preserve the longevity of your air tank or moisture is something your tools or spray guns loathe. More so if you live in an area of high humidy.

I love German made products generally. About two years ago an Ebay seller was getting rid of a bunch of Bekomat auto drainers - brand new in box. These were powered with 110V and were activated only when the water level reached a certain point. Well made, brilliant design. I think I paid $5 for it - there were no other bidders. Shipping cost more than the item itself.

Richard

John Hulett
04-20-2007, 5:36 PM
Isn't that a shame at the cost of a piece of new equipment now days you think they would allow $10-$20 more to put decent feet on them.
I'd pay the extra just to have it right.

Don't worry, Bart. They have just the solution for you;) :

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=711

... It's just not in the price range you would expect.:eek:

I just figured I'd go on my own in lieu of their kit. I picked up a lenght of about 6' of rubber hose with fittings on both ends instead of the nice shiny braided hose from a local hose suppier for about $12. Anchors can't cost me more than $10. And I knew my fellow frugal creekers could help me with an alternative for the cushions.

- John