PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remember the name of a machine

Ed Blough
04-14-2007, 1:03 PM
I'm trying to remember the name of a machine or the company that built it.
With all the talk about Festools MFT and now EZguides bridge, I seem to remember a company I think out of Canada that built an tilting cutting table.
As I remember the table tilted to help with loading of sheet products, and had an x-y axis mechanism to cross cut or rip precisely. I think they used a Festool saw in the Demo.

Does anyone else remember this tool or company?

I think when I first saw it the reception of the it was luke warm at best. But I'm thinking it might have been a product ahead of it's time from the activity I see on from the guided saw manufactures.

Does anyone recall this product?

Ed Blough
04-15-2007, 3:08 PM
Wow
I thought for sure someone would know this company.

It was a table that tilted to allow you to load the sheets.

As I remember there was geared track runing length wise on the table about 8 ft on this track ran a carriage that was about 4 ft wide that carried the tool carriage.

When I saw this demo'ed in a Tampa Woodworking show in the late 90's early 2000's they used a Festool ATF 55, which was the first time I had ever heard or seen of Festool.

The beauty of the table was it folded flat so it could be stored against a wall. Would make precise cuts either rip or cross in ply or stick wood. Also a router could be mounted to the tool carriage and acted like a manual powered CNC machine.

Like I said thought the company was from Canada.
Doesn't anyone remember the name? Is the table still made?

Alan Greene
04-15-2007, 3:37 PM
Ed is this what you are talking about?
http://www.powrgrip.com/cgi-bin/powrgrip/STT1.html

Ed Blough
04-16-2007, 1:21 PM
Ed is this what you are talking about?
http://www.powrgrip.com/cgi-bin/powrgrip/STT1.html

Alan
The table/panel saw I'm thinking about was a little like that but the one I'm trying to remember had a mechanism to hold either a saw or router and move them in a precise x-y axis.

As I remember they had rails on both sides of the table the length of the long side of the table that had gear teeth. On this rail was a carriage which interlocked with the gear teeth at both ends thus insuring it moved parallel down the length of the table.

On this carriage was another movable carriage that traveled parallel to the table and traveled the width of the table. This carriage had provision to mount a saw (festool ATF55 in the example I saw) and/or router.

The mechanism then allowed the user to push their sheet stock to x-y fence/index and was assured that saw/router would move/cut parallel to the indexed edge. It ended up almost like a manual powered CNC machine or panel cutter that was horizontal instead of vertical.

I saw the table at the WoodWorking Tool show here in Tampa in the late 90's early 2000's. It was priced around $1000-1500 and that included the table and a festool ATF55 saw.

The company had a website that I remember looking at it but I can't find it now as I can't remember the name.

I thought with all the talk about Festool MFT and EZguide's bridge/power table that his table might be exactly what people are now looking for.

Thanks Alan for you effort.

Bob Wingard
04-16-2007, 2:53 PM
I remember the table you are referring to .. .. he kept adding features and increasing the price until he finally went out of business a few years ago (or so I was told by some of the vendors at the show)

His name was Tim Bradberry, and he lives in Toronto, but I can't recall the name of his product. It had a tubular backbone with arms welded to it to support a worktable.

richard poitras
04-16-2007, 4:52 PM
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/307052519.html heres one on craigslist .....PANEL KING

Alan Greene
04-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Ed, I have no idea if this info is any good but you can try it.

Exac-T-Guide, BradPark Industries, Inc., 91 Niagara St., Toronto, Ont.
Canada M5V 1C3; (416) 594-9455, (416) 461-1601.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011095082.pdf

Alan

Ed Blough
04-17-2007, 12:36 AM
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/307052519.html heres one on craigslist .....PANEL KING

Richard
You got it!! I was the Panel King. Bob said he is out of business. I did a google search and found one listed on Sawmill for sale.

I think Alan is talking the same thing but I can't see the Tauton Press article he is referrencing.

Thanks to all

Roy McQuay
04-17-2007, 2:28 AM
That looks like a great setup for flattening lumber with a router. Too bad it is no longer made.

Ed Blough
04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
That looks like a great setup for flattening lumber with a router. Too bad it is no longer made.

Roy
Hang in there I think this table was ahead of it's time. I think with the new thinking about guided saw cutting it will make a come back. Especially if you read the Festool MFT and Ezguide Bridge/powertable forums. I figure we are making a full circle and will eventually end at the vertical panel saw.