PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Bowls

Glenn Hodges
04-14-2007, 1:01 PM
Here are some pictures of more of my recent work. Someone remarked about me not doing any hollowforms. I used to do them, but they did not sell well. I now only do what my customers want, and this is the reason for the pictures I post. Your comments and critiques are appreciated.

Glenn Hodges
04-14-2007, 1:04 PM
These are a few more pictures of recent natural edge pieces.

Bill Wyko
04-14-2007, 1:24 PM
Glen you are very gifted. Those are all very elegant. Nice choices of wood and finish too.:)

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2007, 1:25 PM
Beautiful work Glenn! Amazing the amount of bark you were able to retain! Love the color and finish on each of them! I'm sure they sell like hotcakes! Nice work!

Tom Sherman
04-14-2007, 1:26 PM
looking good Glenn, don't understand why those would not sell.

Jonathon Spafford
04-14-2007, 1:32 PM
Really nice work! The wood is beautiful and you kept the bark on, which I can say from experience isn't easy. The only form comment I have is that it might give the forms a bit more graceful of a look if they had a continous curve down to the foot isntead of a more squarish shape... this is simply my own personal opinion (lots of those out there ya know ;)). These are excellent pieces though and the finishes are nice! So keep 'em comin'!

Paul Zerjay
04-14-2007, 1:35 PM
Very nice bowls Glenn. What was the reason your hollowforms didn't sell so well?

Glenn Hodges
04-14-2007, 1:56 PM
Thanks for the comments. People would look at my hollowforms and ask what would someone do with them. I once asked a person if they had ever heard of art, and he replied that yep, if fact they even new him, he worked at the filling station across from the tobacco warehouse. I never use that word again when describing my work. You people have to understand the clientele I work with down here in the swamp country. Most of my customers think each piece must perform some function other than just be observed for its beauty. I did a large salad bowl for a woman from Jacksonville, Fla upon her request. When she came to pick it up right before Thanksgiving she remarked, "There is no way in hell I will ever put a salad in that, it is a work of art." Go figure.....I guess she did not know him.

Rich Stewart
04-14-2007, 2:14 PM
I think if someone asked what a hollow form was I would tell them it is a vahhhhsse. Stick flowers in it. Funny how those natural edge pieces look oblong. Real purdy bowls.

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2007, 2:15 PM
Very nice work Glenn!!!!! Makes me want to try my hands with NE's once again. Beautiful work sir. :D

Ed Scolforo
04-14-2007, 2:26 PM
Nice work, Glenn. I tend to agree with Jonathan re. the squarish look of the foot. One other personal preference of mine is a finish that is not as glossy. Sometimes a high gloss has an almost plastic look to it. This is just my preference, and I know that many others prefer a high gloss.
Ed

Skip Spaulding
04-14-2007, 3:09 PM
Beautiful Glenn, I tell them " if it holds water its craft, if not it's art" !

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2007, 3:23 PM
Glenn....beautiful pieces! Now you know why the locals don't know ART...he's relocated to Jacksonville!:rolleyes:

Leo Pashea
04-14-2007, 4:18 PM
Wonderful work Glenn. Your nat. edge work is very well done. Fine form, finish and nice use and display of the species you choose. Many turners turn the same form repetatively, whether in bowls, hollow forms, and especially natural edge work. Your work is set apart by the fact that the forms and shapes vary. Fine turning and finishing sir. Very fine.

Glenn Hodges
04-14-2007, 7:32 PM
Again thanks a bunch for the comments. I only put a glossy finish on my bowls for one reason, that is the finish customers want. If they wanted them dyed purple that is what they would get. I have done it so much I like it. We grew up during an age which this term was coined, "Different strokes for different folks." Your input is valued, please keep it up.

Neal Addy
04-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Glenn, these are outstanding. Very fine work.

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Glenn those are beautiful. I really like them. Nice job.

David Walser
04-15-2007, 8:03 AM
Glenn,

As others have already said, these are wonderful. My favorite is the second in the first group of four. The profile reminds me of an ancient boat and I'd like to see it with a square sail mounted on a mast in the center of the bowl, er, boat. I hope you won't mind my being whimsical with you creation, but I really do like the bowl -- in part because it reminds me of a boat.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-15-2007, 9:02 PM
Beautiful Glenn. What finish did you use on the Pecan Bowls? Good Job again.:)

Corey Hallagan
04-15-2007, 9:46 PM
Awesome NE's Glenn! Excellent work.

Corey

Glenn Hodges
04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I used lacquer on these natural edge, thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Mark Cothren
04-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Glenn, I love your work - thanks for sharing! Keep 'em coming!

George Tokarev
04-16-2007, 4:07 PM
Again thanks a bunch for the comments. I only put a glossy finish on my bowls for one reason, that is the finish customers want. If they wanted them dyed purple that is what they would get. I have done it so much I like it. We grew up during an age which this term was coined, "Different strokes for different folks." Your input is valued, please keep it up.

Yep, or de gustibus non est disputandum, na vkus i svet tovarishchej net, or any other things that mean no accounting for taste. You make shallow types like the birch I left the scar on too? I find them a good seller because they can do fruit, flowers, or other centerpiece duty on a table.