PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base for Sawstop?

Darrin Davis
04-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I should be recieving my new Sawstop with 52" rail system this next week and was wondering if there were any suggestions out there for a mobile base that works well with this saw.

Per Swenson
04-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Sawstop is making their own mobile base.

I have no idea if it is in production.

I do know it was to have more stuff then the usual.

Like a shelf, etc. ( the sawstop engineer actually called me)

Anyway, I have the htc mobile base made for the SS and it works perfect.

When not locked a robust toddler can move the saw around.

Hope this helps.

Per

Mike Heidrick
04-14-2007, 1:12 PM
HTC HST-3274EX - Only one to get unless you hold out for the SS model.

Don Bullock
04-15-2007, 12:27 AM
HTC HST-3274EX - Only one to get unless you hold out for the SS model.

Mike is correct. That's the one that I have. My dealer has already told me that I could trade it in on the custom mobile base that he sells or I guess I could trade it for the one that SawStop is going to make. For now I need the adjustability of the HTC HST-3274EX, so that's why I got that one.

Thane Duncan
04-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Gents and Ladies

I received the new model of the HTC base on Tuesday. I had the first model which was terrible. I have the 5hp Sawstop and it wobbled when on the base with the extension. Wrote them and sent measurements and they have cooperated and redesigned the base. I am sure I was not the only one complaining. It is now under the saw, not perfect but much better. They added casters to the far end and got rid of the flawed long extension. Will fire it up tomorrow and give you some feedback. BTW sawstop is great. Sold my 66.

TD

Timothy Aiken
04-15-2007, 6:38 AM
Thane,
I had the same problem. Did they replace it free of charge or did you have to purchase another one?
Tim

Don Bullock
04-15-2007, 8:57 AM
Gents and Ladies

I received the new model of the HTC base on Tuesday. I had the first model which was terrible. I have the 5hp Sawstop and it wobbled when on the base with the extension. Wrote them and sent measurements and they have cooperated and redesigned the base. I am sure I was not the only one complaining. It is now under the saw, not perfect but much better. They added casters to the far end and got rid of the flawed long extension. Will fire it up tomorrow and give you some feedback. BTW sawstop is great. Sold my 66.

TD

Pictures, please.:confused:

Jim Dunn
04-15-2007, 8:58 AM
I e-mailed Saw Stop and the reply was "it wasn't in the offering as yet". No mention of when it would be.

Jim Becker
04-15-2007, 10:00 AM
I happen to like the HTC welded mobile bases for heavy equipment.

Homer Faucett
04-15-2007, 10:15 AM
I have the Jet heavy duty base under mine, as that was what the dealer had, and I wanted a mobile base under it when I took it off the crate. I had to cut a few wooden shims on each side to keep the saw centered in the base, but it works well. I don't have any toddlers to test the Jet mobile base against Per's HTC, but it certainly works better than the universal Delta style base that was under my contractor's saw.

Thane Duncan
04-15-2007, 1:48 PM
Tim and folks,

The first base I was sold was the General, it will work with the 5 hp and the 52 inch fence but it does not extend long enough. You can however move the legs inboard and therefore use the General base. But I wanted the mobile base to be full length. I sent it back to Woodcraft. Then I recieved the HTC base. It was adapted to work with the 30 inch tables and the extended base was flimsy. I wrote HTC and complained and the engineer wrote back so I sent diagrams and detailed what I thought was wrong. The table was too heavy for a nonsupported extension. I sent it back and they sent the new base a couple of weeks later. I only kept the old base two days. I suspect I have one of the first new bases sent out.

I have the diagram. I hope my attachment worked. It is much improved. I have written the engineers with some other suggestions. BTW I don't work for them or in the industry. If I had the old one and had possessed it awhile I would add brackets and casters to the far end. Tractor Supply sells ones which are heavy duty and small. I am going down to try it out now. Will post and let you know and answer any other questions in a couple of hours.

Thane

Thane Duncan
04-15-2007, 1:58 PM
Jim

Just to clarify, I already posted to Tim. I do like the HTC bases in general. I think I have at least 6 in my shop. This first attempt at the base for the long heavy Sawstop was lacking however. It was too short and flimsy and unsupported on the end. I am not globally negative on HTC by any means.
Just trying to inform on my experience with this one base.

Thane

Mike Heidrick
04-15-2007, 2:17 PM
This is the first I have read of the base being flimsy.

I have the same saw (5HP and 52") and the HTC 3274EX is not flimsy at all.

Thane how is your floor in your shop.

Thane Duncan
04-15-2007, 4:42 PM
Mike

The first model I received had an extension that pulled out of the base. First of all, the fasteners barely received the extension when it was lengthened and it was not long enough. Maybe your table is different but when my table legs sat on this base only 1/4 inch of the legs sat on the base. Because it flexed when weight was added it went to almost floor level. Also there was no support for my dust collection, an old excaliber system. The new one is much improved with casters out toward the end. The rocking that took place on the old base due to its wheelbase was unacceptable as far as I was concerned compared to my 66 with the Powermatic base. My basement floor is level, stained concrete.

Thane

Thane Duncan
04-15-2007, 11:56 PM
FOLKS

Had a chance to use the Saw on the base today. Glad that Don asked for a picture. That is when I noticed that the locking bracket was left out of the box by HTC. THANKS DON. I have emailed them and that will bolt on in the location of the diagram in my last post. Don, I have enclosed a picture of the base per your request, it is probably not too late to exchange for the new model. I have suggested two locking brackets, one on each side. As you can see, the casters have been have been moved farther out. This base is made specifically for the 52 inch fence. The old style would have been more than adequate for the 30 inch base. I apologize for using the word flimsy earlier, flexible and not well supported would be more applicable to my impression of the old model. I think this is an adequate base, with a few more tweeks it will be great. Hope that helps all above. Let me know if there are any suggestions or concerns. Love this site, have been reading for a long time.

TD

Don Bullock
04-16-2007, 12:17 AM
TD,
Thanks for posting the diagram and picture. I was planning to add some casters to the extension on my base after I add the router table. Your picture and diagram will help a lot. I'm installing an Incra TS LS 32" WonderFence Package on my SawStop so I'm sure that the base I have will work for now. The router table won't be added for a while. I need to recover from the SawStop purchase etc. before I buy any more tools. The LOML has been very supportive, but she does have a limit. The other night I was on the computer and her exact words were, "You aren't buying any more tools, are you?" :eek: She wasn't too pleased when she got the bill for the fence because it was supposed to be for just a table saw fence without the WonderFence added. I decided to get the whole package now rather that later. It's a little cheaper in the "long run", but it's about double the price she was expecting.;) :D

Spencer Keysan
04-16-2007, 11:53 AM
TD,
Thanks for posting the diagram and picture. I was planning to add some casters to the extension on my base after I add the router table. Your picture and diagram will help a lot. I'm installing an Incra TS LS 32" WonderFence Package on my SawStop so I'm sure that the base I have will work for now. The router table won't be added for a while. I need to recover from the SawStop purchase etc. before I buy any more tools. The LOML has been very supportive, but she does have a limit. The other night I was on the computer and her exact words were, "You aren't buying any more tools, are you?" :eek: She wasn't too pleased when she got the bill for the fence because it was supposed to be for just a table saw fence without the WonderFence added. I decided to get the whole package now rather that later. It's a little cheaper in the "long run", but it's about double the price she was expecting.;) :D
you could have saved $5000 and made a pushstick instead, then the LOML would have been very happy.

Glen Blanchard
04-16-2007, 12:48 PM
you could have saved $5000 and made a pushstick instead, then the LOML would have been very happy.

Spencer - Enough about the pushsticks already!! Paaaalllleeeeeezzzzze.

Lars Thomas
04-16-2007, 2:44 PM
This is probably a good time to point out one of the great features of the vBulletin software. Via the User Control Panel (UserCP) there is a feature to 'Ignore User'. If you haven't already, I'd encourage all to investigate this option. In four years at the creek, this is the first time I have felt compelled to use this feature.

Spencer Keysan
04-16-2007, 3:01 PM
Isnt it kind of unsafe to roll the saw over the power chords on the shop floor? As shown in the picture. The extra weight and girth of the expensive push stick surely is not going to help that situation. Maybe thats why sawstop, with their emphasis on safety, have not provided a rolling stand.

Peter Melanson
04-16-2007, 5:06 PM
Since when did Sawmill Creek allow toddlers on the website. I would please ask the moderators to get rid of the child throwing a temper tantrum over push sticks. Once or twice is OK but this is 6th or 7th time I have see these post from this guy on different threads.

Ron Wessels
04-16-2007, 5:12 PM
Via the User Control Panel (UserCP) there is a feature to 'Ignore User'.You can also select the user link from the post and select the "View Public Profile". In the blue bar below the user name are the selections "Add <user> to Your Buddy List" and "Add <user> to Your Ignore List".

After doing so and clicking the browser Back button appropriately, you'll have to refresh to show the effects.

Brian Penning
12-10-2007, 8:07 PM
Tim and folks,

The first base I was sold was the General, it will work with the 5 hp and the 52 inch fence but it does not extend long enough. You can however move the legs inboard and therefore use the General base. But I wanted the mobile base to be full length. I sent it back to Woodcraft. Then I recieved the HTC base. It was adapted to work with the 30 inch tables and the extended base was flimsy. I wrote HTC and complained and the engineer wrote back so I sent diagrams and detailed what I thought was wrong. The table was too heavy for a nonsupported extension. I sent it back and they sent the new base a couple of weeks later. I only kept the old base two days. I suspect I have one of the first new bases sent out.

I have the diagram. I hope my attachment worked. It is much improved. I have written the engineers with some other suggestions. BTW I don't work for them or in the industry. If I had the old one and had possessed it awhile I would add brackets and casters to the far end. Tractor Supply sells ones which are heavy duty and small. I am going down to try it out now. Will post and let you know and answer any other questions in a couple of hours. Thane

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I presently have the General base with the extension. I'm trying to figure if I can keep this base for when I receive my SawStop(36" rails) -it presently supports my General cab saw that Ill be selling. Just not sure if I have to sell the base also.
Looking at various photos I think it should be OK but would like to be sure.
This link gives dimensions of the base.
http://www.general.ca/pagemach/acces/saw_text/50030.html

Chuck Burns
12-11-2007, 2:19 AM
Well, I did something different and put my SS on a General Hoverpad. When "down" it is imoveable. When aired up it is easily manuevered in all directions. Not a cheap way to go at 269 but I wanted to be able to move it sideways. Balance as to where the saw sits on the HP is very important and purely trial and error.The HP's have a HDPP type material the saw sits on but there is too much flex or it to work well (it would be ok on something with a flat bottom). I put 3/4 ply on the Hoverpad and then put a "fence" of 3/4 stock around the base to keep it in position. I had to do the same on the HP under my Jet 18" BS and the two small HP's under the PJ882.

Don Bullock
12-11-2007, 7:58 AM
Chuck, that sounds interesting. Do yu have some pictures that you can post?