PDA

View Full Version : Batten the hatches mateys!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Well...........a production turner I'm not......but maybe someday........

Dave Richards wanted someone to turn the spindles for the wheel on his sail boat. I thought I was at another auction where turning tools were featured....I held my hand up!:eek: ;) :D

Dave sent me 8 blanks....he needs 6 spindles. I turned the first one Tuesday evening followed by 2 more. The first one was a lesson in dodging spinning corners. Turning the pummels wasn't that difficult but turning the 2 inch area between 2 facing pummels was. When backing a tool out of the intermediate area, you can catch the face of the pummel and chip it. DAMHIKT....the first one had some chip out.......the others are looking okay IMHO

So...I just came in from the shop....all my tools have been sharpened...5 more to go....and to quote a famous judge and referree Mills Lane......"Let's get it on!"

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2007, 1:27 PM
Sounds interesting! Pictures???

Jonathon Spafford
04-14-2007, 1:35 PM
Definitely we need pix... (or it didn't happen ;))

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2007, 2:09 PM
Pics.........Pics are REQUIRED!!!!! This is your captain speaking!!!!! ;)

Jim Becker
04-14-2007, 2:24 PM
Hey, nothing like a "paying" job turning specialized bonkers, eh?!! :D

Christopher K. Hartley
04-14-2007, 3:02 PM
There goes Retirement!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Bob Noles
04-14-2007, 4:42 PM
Being a moderator does not excuse the absence of pictures....

now.... "get it on" :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2007, 5:29 PM
When they are finished there will be pictures..............................3 more to go..........

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2007, 5:54 PM
Ah, the suspense!!!

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Yea Mr. Fitz moderator. No pics it didn't happen and besides Captain Dennis has spoken. :cool::rolleyes:;)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Actually.....the moderator duties did slow me down a bit!..........

Here they are. I hope Dave can find 6 of the 8 useable. :o If not, I'll refund the cost of the labor!:D

A couple have some tear out....it's a learning thing....when turning between 2 facing pummels 2" apart....watch how you withdraw your tool from the work area. DAMHIKT

Dennis Peacock
04-16-2007, 11:07 AM
WOW Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is most EXCELLENT!!!!!! :cool: :cool:

Each one is almost exactly like the other. Very nicely done sir. My hat is off to you for a job so well done without a duplicator.
I sure hope you took pics of how you did this as it would come in handy for me and for others, I'm sure, that may have the need to duplicate a piece or two in our "career" path. :)

Jonathon Spafford
04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Wow... there is very little difference between them! Excellent work! That is not an easy job!

Pat Salter
04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Are we back to making bonkers again??? A matched set at that??

Just Kidding Ken, Nice job. any slight differances will not be noticed since they won't be right next to each other.

I'm curious about a couple of things:
what kind of wood??
what kind of finish will be put on it? (doesn't look like yours have finish yet)
will they all recieve dado's similar to the sample piece?
What size wheel will this end up being (looking at your " 2" " space between pommels, these look approx. 14" long which would make the wheel appox. 30"?)
will we see a picture of the finished product?
Did you use a template/story board and if so, could we see a picture of that?? and yeah, I agree with Dennis, a set of pictures of the work in progress would be great.
are you done yet??:D