PDA

View Full Version : House number sign....

David Harvey
04-14-2007, 9:30 AM
Thought I would share the wife's and my latest creation. We've talked about a new house number sign down by the road for sometime and decided to finally do one.

I used a combination of programs and equipment, but it came together rather well.

The design was done in X3 and exported to the various programs to get it made.

I used a 3D model of a duck purchased from VectorClip3D and it was machined from SignFoam using Cut3D on the ShopBot. I sized it and increased the 'Z" of the duck using Carrara Pro modeling software.

The base of the sign was machined from 3/4" birch plywood on the 'Bot' using VCarvePro.

The Numbers were Laser cut from 1/2" Cedar and then I applied reflective decals that were print/cut on the Roland using Avery reflective vinyl. The numbers are printed in yellow, but reflect from white to yellow depending on the angle. They should light up nicely at night from the passing car's headlights.

After priming, Peg airbrushed the 2 pieces, (she did really good, as I knew she would) then they were glued together and clear coated.

Today, I'll mount the 4"x4" posts to the ends and if the weather doesn't go bad on me I'll 'get'r in the ground'.

Mark Koenig
04-14-2007, 9:59 AM
Thought I would share the wife's and my latest creation. We've talked about a new house number sign down by the road for sometime and decided to finally do one.

I used a combination of programs and equipment, but it came together rather well.

The design was done in X3 and exported to the various programs to get it made.

I used a 3D model of a duck purchased from VectorClip3D and it was machined from SignFoam using Cut3D on the ShopBot. I sized it and increased the 'Z" of the duck using Carrara Pro modeling software.

The base of the sign was machined from 3/4" birch plywood on the 'Bot' using VCarvePro.

The Numbers were Laser cut from 1/2" Cedar and then I applied reflective decals that were print/cut on the Roland using Avery reflective vinyl. The numbers are printed in yellow, but reflect from white to yellow depending on the angle. They should light up nicely at night from the passing car's headlights.

After priming, Peg airbrushed the 2 pieces, (she did really good, as I knew she would) then they were glued together and clear coated.

Today, I'll mount the 4"x4" posts to the ends and if the weather doesn't go bad on me I'll 'get'r in the ground'.

Nice Work neighbor!!!

Vicky Orsini
04-14-2007, 2:55 PM
Wow! Jaw-droppingly beautiful. Both you and your wife are very talented and I'm in total awe. Very, very impressive.

Larry Bratton
04-14-2007, 3:33 PM
David,
That's a pretty vast departure from where you were last weekend. Beautiful work! I would be afraid to put that too far from the house though,it might end up in somebody else's yard (with modifications). :D

David Harvey
04-14-2007, 8:39 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments!

Well the weather did cooperate today and we were able to get the sign erected down by the road. It turned out pretty good and is very visible, especially the numbers...they just light up when light hits them.

We decided to add a rider to it today too.... a little advertising doesn't hurt, does it?

It was pretty dark when we finally finished, but here are a few pics of it...in the dark;)

P.S. Peg is also a flower nut! She designed the landscaping around the sign...

Keith Outten
04-14-2007, 9:10 PM
Nice job on the sign David. You obviously did some serious planning and the results are stunning.

Thanks for the pics.