PDA

View Full Version : freud blade f40 hyper-finish

michael merlo
04-14-2007, 12:59 AM
well i was checking the "auction place" and saw a "freud f40 hyper-finish" 10" blade ......so ...... what the heck - i now own it for $42. THIS IS NOT A GLOAT (yet) - i thought it was a f410 - and f410 is listed in the text, but the photo shows it's distinctly marked 'f40 hyper-finish'
i'm aware of the f80 hyper...... with high atb grind..... but can't seem to find any info on this thing - anyone heard of it before? ..... or is this the only one in existence? btw i'm getting quite a collection of gp ts blades here - wwII, tenryu gm, dw7657, dynamic, everlast, a freud 50t combo and now this. (i may as well get a systematic and a ridge while i'm at it) is this obsessive behavior yet? grateful for any info on this blade

Curt Harms
04-14-2007, 2:12 AM
They seem to be on a par with Forrest WW2 & that class blade. I'm happy with mine, got 'em on sale when Woodworkers' Warehouse folded. I haven't tried ripping 2"+ hardwood but 1" works fine, will produce a glue-ready edge. It is an ATB blade but I don't think it's a hi ATB.

HTH

Curt

michael merlo
04-14-2007, 2:30 AM
thanks curt - my assumption was that it was the f410 but the confusion is the "F40 hyper-finish" designation and the fact that i have been unable to find, in a search, anything that acknowledges this blade even exists. guess i'll have to wait till it gets here.

They seem to be on a par with Forrest WW2 & that class blade. I'm happy with mine, got 'em on sale when Woodworkers' Warehouse folded. I haven't tried ripping 2"+ hardwood but 1" works fine, will produce a glue-ready edge. It is an ATB blade but I don't think it's a hi ATB.

HTH

Curt

scott spencer
04-14-2007, 8:13 AM
AFAIK, the F40 is the F410. F80 and F40 indicate tooth counts for that series... 410, 810 indicate that it's 10" diameter.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone with this obsession! I've tried over 35 blades now, including the WWII, Ridge Carbide TS2000, Infinity Combomax, Tenryu GM, two other Tenryu's, several upper Freud's, several upper DW's, several Leitz, Oldham, Vermont America, Delta, Ridgid, PC. I mean....blades are shiny...am I supposed to just ignore them all?! :D

In all, I've come to the expensive realization that good general purpose and combo blades are all an acceptable design compromise but will still do a fine job and leave a glue line edge on most cuts, and lousy blades are a waste of money. :o

Good luck with your bid! (keep your eyes peeled for a deal on the P410...)

Jim Becker
04-14-2007, 9:51 AM
I mean....blades are shiny...am I supposed to just ignore them all?!

You must have a Cocketiel in your ancestry... :D :D :D Shiny things rule!

michael merlo
04-14-2007, 10:44 AM
hey thanks guys - am intrigued by this blade designation and looking forward to trying it out - you can google 'F40 Hyper-Finish' and the auction shows up with the photo - if it is an f410 ...... i'm happy. if it's a hatb with side grind i'll be ecstatic .... maybe charles can clear this up.

yeah scott, i hold you personally responsible for a few of these purchases .....;)

or a crow!

scott spencer
04-14-2007, 11:10 AM

Cocketiel would be more of a prestigious lineage .... probably crow! :D

Dave Falkenstein
04-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I have a Freud F40 blade, and have owned it for quite a few years. F40 was the designation prior to the time the blade was renamed the F410 with an accompanying price hike. The F40 sold for about $50 new. I think the F40 and F410 are the same blade except for the name and the price. Hopefully Charles M. will chime in with the rest of the story behind the name change.

michael merlo
04-14-2007, 11:30 AM
"(keep your eyes peeled for a deal on the P410...)"

absolutely! i don't see how i could possibly get by without one of those!!

it's an illness scott, and as sick as it sounds ....... i'll prolly end up with one

just to make a display case to house all the others.

michael merlo
04-14-2007, 11:34 AM
I have a Freud F40 blade, and have owned it for quite a few years. F40 was the designation prior to the time the blade was renamed the F410 with an accompanying price hike. The F40 sold for about $50 new. I think the F40 and F410 are the same blade except for the name and the price. Hopefully Charles M. will chime in with the rest of the story behind the name change.

ok dave, that sound's about right - btw - am fellow cavecricker. do you know carlos & simone?

scott spencer
04-14-2007, 11:57 AM
"(keep your eyes peeled for a deal on the P410...) ...... i'll prolly end up with one

just to make a display case to house all the others.

I was just out nosing around in the shop this morning...the calendar says it's spring, but the weather says winter so I really haven't opened things up yet... Anyway, I had to laugh when I looked at my blade rack...it holds 7 blades and there's a stack of 5 new blades sitting on the workbench that I haven't even tried, plus a few more up on the shelf that won't fit in the rack either! Guess my first project of the season will be a bigger blade rack. :rolleyes:

Charles McCracken
04-16-2007, 2:56 PM

Dave has it pretty much right except that the blade did change considerably. The price increase reflected the increased grinding time required for the tooth geometry and finish. The F40 was our original premium general purpose blade. The F410 Premier Series was the upgrade and the new P410 Premier Fusion is the latest incarnation. Now both the F40 and the F410 are discontinued.