PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector size

Mark Ebert
04-13-2007, 11:57 PM
I have a 14' by 35' basement shop which I'm finally getting a cyclone for. Up until now I"ve gotten away with a PSI 1.5hp bag dust collector with a garbage can separator but it just leaves too much dust in the air. Its good at collecting the larger chips, but thats about it.

After checking out the brands and all the reviews, I've pretty much decided on the Oneida Dust Gorilla series for various reasons. Now the problem of size. I can't decide whether the 2hp or 3hp would be best for my shop. The collector will be located at one end of the shop in the corner and it looks like I can get away with only one run of 7" or 6" down the length of the shop, with 4-5 branches to reach all the machines. I was told I could probably get away with the 2hp version, but it wouldn't give me much room for expansion later if I add larger machinery or expand the shop. The 3hp version would eliminate my worries about possible future needs, but I also don't want to spend the extra money, energy cost and increased noise with the 3hp version if I don't have to.

I guess I'm looking for feedback from those who have either of these two sized systems and how well they work for the shop size they are being used in.

-Mark

Jim Becker
04-14-2007, 10:03 AM
I use the 2hp Commercial system (equivalent of the 2hp Super Gorilla, but older) in my shop and it services my "big" tools just fine. My shop is approximately 22'x30' and the duct system is stepped. That said, if you have the height available, the 3hp Gorilla is an awesome machine and the extra air flow will benefit you even now.

John Renzetti
04-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Mark, With that long of a run go for the extra capacity of the 3hp Oneida. That's a real nice dust collector. Go with a 7 or even 8" main trunk line. You may even be able to reduce this by 1" around the center of your shop. Check with Oneida on this.
take care,
John

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2007, 1:36 PM
IMHO...it's not just HP that makes it better....it's also the size of the Impeller. The larger the impeller? The air CFM goes up dramatically.
A DC with a 12" impeller will only create just so much air movement. I don't care if it has a 10HP motor on it. :) Increase the impeller size from a 12" to a 13"? You will be moving a very noticable amount MORE of air.

So....while HP does play a part in this....because it has to turn a larger/heavier impeller and load.....the most important part is the size of the impeller. ;)

Just thought I'd toss in my 2¢ on the subject. Moving on to more woodworking now. :D

Roy Hill
04-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Before you jump you might want to check out Clear Vue Cyclones at http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ . They have a choice of impeller sizes and motors. The customer service from the owner Ed Morgano is superb. I have one of the units however, I am still in the process of shop construction (interior) and haven't got the unit completly installed yet.

Jim Bell
04-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Customer svc at Clearvue is the best experience I have ever had. The system will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

Dino Drosas
04-15-2007, 1:21 AM
I also have the ClearVue and could not be happier with it. Everything said is true and even the price is unbeatable. I have been using mine for almost two years and my shop is dust free.

Charles Wilson
04-15-2007, 8:14 AM
I am in the same situation (basement size wise) and am wondering about DC too. Is there any way that any of you can post some pics of DC systems so I can get some ideas?

Thanks
Chuck

Roy Hill
04-15-2007, 8:22 AM
I am in the same situation (basement size wise) and am wondering about DC too. Is there any way that any of you can post some pics of DC systems so I can get some ideas?

Thanks
Chuck

Chuck, go to the Clear Vue site and click on Photo Gallery. There are lots of pics. I don't have my system completely installed yet so my pics would be somewhat incomplete. The Clear Vue site is located at http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/

Jim Becker
04-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Charles, Oneida is a reasonable ride for you in Syracuse...it would be a very nice field trip for you and you'd be able to see the systems. Picking up would also save you shipping costs. There is a lot of interesting competitive information available at this link, too... http://www.oneida-air.com/oneida_advantages.htm