PDA

View Full Version : Chisel help

Roy McQuay
04-13-2007, 10:36 PM
I am looking to buy a few chisels and while shopping at Woodcraft, I became lost about the different chisel types and their uses. I was mostly confused by the differences between firmer chisels, registered chisels, and mortise chisels. I wanted a 3/8" mortise chisel but waited to ask here for advise on the differences, if any.

Andrew Williams
04-13-2007, 11:09 PM
I like the pigsticker mortise chisels best. They don't have them at Woodcraft (or anywhere for that matter, except toolsforworkingwood.com). Stock is dreadfully limited, but the chisel is amazing if you manage to get one or more. Can't help you on firmers and sash mortisers, since I don't have any of those. For ordinary bevel-edge chisels, I have a set of japanese chisels and they are awesome. Best edge-holding of any tools that I have, including the A2 stuff.

Roy McQuay
04-13-2007, 11:36 PM
I like the pigsticker mortise chisels best. They don't have them at Woodcraft (or anywhere for that matter, except toolsforworkingwood.com). Stock is dreadfully limited, but the chisel is amazing if you manage to get one or more. Can't help you on firmers and sash mortisers, since I don't have any of those. For ordinary bevel-edge chisels, I have a set of japanese chisels and they are awesome. Best edge-holding of any tools that I have, including the A2 stuff.Thanks for the info. I went to the site, as I have before, and they are always out of stock on what I want. I did get a little info on the different chisels though, but nothing on firmer chisels. I assume they are not for fine work, but not sure.

Gary Curtis
04-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Are the Japanese chisels difficult to sharpen? As far chisel types, I'm no expert, but here's a list of what the average woodworker might want.

1) Bevel edged bench chisels
2) Mortise chisel
3) Skew chisel (for dovetails)
4) Paring chisels

I bought a set of English mortise chisels from the 1940's. Handles looked like hell, but boy, are they tough tools. I haven't found much use, however, since I mostly will cut a mortise with a router.

But I guess I'm on the wrong forum, saying that.

Gary Curtis

Roy McQuay
04-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks Gary, actually, I just bought a Domino this morning, which will do almost all of my mortise and tenons from now on. But sometimes I will have a need to chisel a mortise bigger than the Domino will handle. I have bench chisels and a mortise chisel but want to upgrade.

James Mittlefehldt
04-14-2007, 5:55 AM
Roy if you happen to have the 2005 I believe tools and shops edition of FWW magazine, there is an article there by Bob Smalser that explains in precise detail the difference between the various chisles, which should answer your question.

I forget the precise difference but that article has it.

Jim Dunn
04-14-2007, 9:24 AM
Roy if you happen to have the 2005 I believe tools and shops edition of FWW magazine, there is an article there by Bob Smalser that explains in precise detail the difference between the various chisles, which should answer your question.

I forget the precise difference but that article has it.

I have that mag and indeed the information was great. (Now my wife decides what gets left at the bedside and now I can't find it.:o It may have gravitated to the "reading" room in the basement.:eek:)

I think Mr Smalser could expand on his article for all those that don't have the magazine. If asked nicely, he's a great teacher and woodworker.

Joel Moskowitz
04-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I went to the site, as I have before, and they are always out of stock on what I want. I did get a little info on the different chisels though, but nothing on firmer chisels. I assume they are not for fine work, but not sure.

THe reason they are out of stock is that demand is huge, they are a timeconsuming chisel to make, and Ray is having a steel shortage. Getting D2 in the right sizes is getting harder and harder. We have a large shipment of 1/2" and 1/4" due this week but all the 1/4" and a decent share of the 1/2" is already committed to orders. Ray thinks he has found a solution for the steel shortage but it will be a few months before that supply kicks in. until then we do expect to solve the 1/4" and 3/16" shortage but while I think ray told me he has material for 3/8" I don't remember for sure.

Andrew Williams
04-14-2007, 2:24 PM
Are the Japanese chisels difficult to sharpen?

I Scary Sharpen them by hand. I ignore the primary bevel completely and just do the secondary bevel. They sharpen very easily freehand. Once the secondary bevel is too large I would try working on the primary with a medium grit.