PDA

View Full Version : Saw Decision

Roy Hill
04-13-2007, 9:44 PM
Hi Folks, I'm new to posting on SMC. Joined the forum about a week ago. I have been reading a lot but never posted. I am trying to set up a new workshop with larger tools than I have now and have decided on either going with the Grizzly or Rikon brand. My budget will stand a 17 or 18 inch bandsaw and a 10 inch cabinet saw for starters. I have read your praises for Grizzly tools and I have talked to a local retail woodworking store that is a top seller of Rikon tools. Now I need to make a decision, buy local and have someone local to talk to or buy from someone I can only communicate with by email or telephone. I lean toward local but, I have not come to a good fuzzy feeling either way. Any sound advice from you good wood workers that have experience with either or both brands? I'm all ears.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2007, 9:50 PM
Roy....Welcome to the Creek!

There are members here that have both and I'm sure they'll reply!

William Nimmo
04-13-2007, 9:58 PM
I am in the same boat. I can't bring 220 into my shop so I am going with either the grizzly 2 hp cabinet saw or the steel city 1 3/4 horse. They are about the same price but the steel city I can look at, touch and feel. Seems real nice, it is available 1/2 hour away and I can pick it up when I decide. I have been making do with a dewalt 744 job site saw and mft 1080 and festool ts55 and guide rail system.
How nice would a cabinet style saw with a good fence and all the jigs and accesories be?
I think I am going to buy the steel city. Grizzly has great reviews but we must do our share for the local economy.

Nancy Laird
04-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Roy, please look at the Steel City machines before you make a final decision. They are well-made and are gaining in popularity. I don't know your price ranges, but the SC 18" BS is $1279.99 and the 10" deluxe CS with a 50" fence is $1599.99, both at Woodworker's Supply.

The best deal on a 10" CS right now is the Delta 3 HP right- or left-tilt with a Bies or Uni fence at $1699.99, $250 mail-in rebate through 5/31/07, and no motor freight charge from WWS, and includes the table board and leg assembly.

Please make sure to ask your salesperson to e-mail you a copy of the mail-in rebate form.

Nancy

Jim Becker
04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I am in the same boat. I can't bring 220 into my shop so I am going with either the grizzly 2 hp cabinet saw...

Check the specs...you'll still need to pull a circuit for that particular saw due to amperage draw. It needs a 30 amp 120v circuit. If you can't deal with a new circuit, stick with one of the nice hybrids which run 1.5-1.75 hp and can run nicely on a 20 amp 120v circuit.

John Durscher
04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I have one of the smaller Rikon band saws. I have been very happy with it. However, none of the "standard" accessories will fit it which is rather disappointing. For example, I would like to add the quick tension release device that Carter sells, but it is currently only available for the regular Taiwan brands - Delta, Jet and so on. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) Rikon is something of a unique manufacturer.

John

Frederick Rowe
04-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Roy- Exciting stuff picking out the big tools.

About 2 months ago I bought the Rikon 10-345 18" band saw. On sale at Woodcraft for $999. With a minimum of setup, the 1" TimberWolf resaw blade was tracking straight and I've been very satisfied with it's performance for resawing. I've found many small design touches that make me appreciate the saw even more. Blade changes are easy, and blade tracking returns to set after many blade tension/de-tensioning. Even more though, I've called Rikon's customer service and echo other SMC rave reviews. Knowledgeable, conscientious, patient.

As for table saws, I'm a Unisaw/Unifence fan, but many SMC members report high satisfaction with the Grizzly 1023 line of TS.

Paul Douglass
04-14-2007, 4:39 PM
I have a new Steel City cabinet saw, and I love it! I have found that, so far it is a little harder to get accessories for. For example, zero clearance insert, have to buy a certain one because the opening is a little wider. I can get it from the dealer I bought the saw from, no problem, but right now I don't think I will find one at Rockler or Woodcraft, etc. I looked at the Shark blade guard, don't see one listed for Steel City. Just something I have found, maybe this will change. I am sure I can get accessories for it but I may have to work a little harder to find the correct fit.