PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Art Mulder!

Jim Becker
04-13-2007, 9:37 PM
Our own Mr. Art has a letter published in the new Jun 2007 issue of Fine Woodworking on page 10. He comments about casters in a small shop and how 4 swiveling casters are more maneuverable in that situation. Excellent point, Art!

Dennis Peacock
04-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Congrats Art.!!!! I'll have to go read it now...since mine has arrived and I've made it back to home territory.

Walt Caza
04-14-2007, 3:41 AM
Congratulations Mr. M,
As far as I'm concerned, FWW is the tops !
For those unaware, Art has also had projects published in
Canadian Woodworking magazine. He writes helpful articles with
dimensioned drawings and fancy photos.
Keep up the good work,
Walt

Art Mulder
04-14-2007, 7:01 AM
Awe shucks. It was just a letter to the editor... :o:o:o

But yeah, it was rather fun when they checked back with me on some facts and let me know it was going to get printed. :D

(Darn Canadian/US Border. Probably another 2-3 weeks before I see it!)

Tim Malyszko
04-14-2007, 8:05 AM
Congrats Art. I'm still awaiting arrival of the June 2007 issue and look forward to reading your comments.

Rob Blaustein
04-14-2007, 9:23 AM
I spotted it too and was actually going to PM Art to tell him how 'spot on' his point is. I too have a small shop and I sometimes feel it's like parallel parking a car in a tight space with bases that have two fixed wheels. The next thing I build on wheels will certainly have all four casters that freely rotate.
Rob

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-14-2007, 9:54 AM
Hi,

Way to go Art...... you seem to make the simple and the obvious that we sometimes miss more present and helpful...:)

Neil Lamens
04-15-2007, 9:08 AM
Hi Art:

Way to go man..............never thought of it, but my shaper does handle like a shopping cart.

Nice passion Art..............Neil

Jason Tuinstra
04-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Hey, congrats!!! It's always nice to see our members recognized for their work and their insights.

Don Bullock
04-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Congratulations Art. I read your comments and am very interested in trying that out by making a base for my miter saw that way. I really wish that the HTC base on my SawStop was made with four rotating castors. It is a bear to parallel park.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Art's commentary is spot-on. It's the reason I've stopped purchasing aftermarket mobile bases with non-swiveling casters.

Now...I hope the manufacturers are readin' this!

-Jeff :)

Brian Walter
04-15-2007, 5:52 PM
I didn't read the article so I don't know exactly what was said, but is he suggesting using swiveling caster with locks to prevent rolling or using some other sort of adjustable leg to lift the caster off of the floor to keep the tool from moving? I tried locking swiveling casters once, but found that the cabinet wasn't very stable, so I won't go that route again. But using a threaded rod to raise the caster off of the floor, like on my Shop Fox mobile base works very well. But it too could benefit from 4 swiveling casters, not just 2.

Brian Walter