PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a bent hand saw?

Michael Lutz
04-13-2007, 9:01 PM
I have a bent back saw. It used to belong to my SWMBOs grandfather. Is there anything that can be done to the blade or is it toast.

Thanks,

Mike

Ryan Cathey
04-13-2007, 9:26 PM
Lay the blade on a hard flat surface(an anvil for example) with the convex side facing upwards and tap on it with a ball pein hammer. This will slightly spread out the metal and staighten the blade.

Bill Houghton
04-13-2007, 10:04 PM
If the back is bent, you can try straightening that - clamp it down against a straight surface first; if that doesn't work, put some shims under the ends and clamp gently against the high point. I would not hammer it, because hammering stretches the metal on the side you strike - you could make the problem worse.

Some back saws, I'm told, bend at the teeth because the blade is coming out of the back, something you may be able to judge if you look at the end of the back (is there a gap showing in the "fold" of the back). I've never experienced this, but am told that you can re-set the blade in the back by gentle mallet work.

Or, the blade itself may be kinked, in which case, hammering it flat may work.

If you visit Wood Central, search the Hand Tools forum archives on the subect; there's an excellent thread from some months back on the subject.

Alan Turner
04-13-2007, 11:46 PM
A long story, and I will shorten it. I bought, by accident (both of mine and the seller) a 12" Disston 77, which is quite a valuable saw. I did not know it was a 77, and did not notice it had a bent blade. I sent it along to Tom Law, back when he was sharpening saws for others, and he called to say it was a No. 77, and would I sell it. No. As to the bent blade, he took off the back, and it straightened itself right out.

So, you might consider taking off the back, and see if it is that which is causing the bend.

Ryan Cathey
04-15-2007, 1:45 AM
Excuse me, just testing my new email address.

Paul Erickson
04-15-2007, 1:20 PM
If you visit Wood Central, search the Hand Tools forum archives on the subect; there's an excellent thread from some months back on the subject.

Hi Bill,

I have tried to find this but any combinations of "saw" and bent, repair, or straighten reveals nothing like what you mention. Any thoughts?

cheers, Paul

Jerry Palmer
04-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Lay the blade on a hard flat surface(an anvil for example) with the convex side facing upwards and tap on it with a ball pein hammer. This will slightly spread out the metal and staighten the blade.

I'd recommend that if you do this, use the flat side of the hammer, not the ball. The ball can leave small indentations that are impossible to remove.

Ruston Hughes
04-17-2007, 5:04 PM
I have straightened a bent panel saw using a hammer on a flat surface (my workbench). Convex side up and lots of taps with a light, flat faced hammer. It's slow going but you don't want to dent the blade.

For a back saw I would also recommend checking how the blade is seated in the back first. If the toe or heel has slid out of the back a little (maybe from being dropped) it will bow the blade at the teeth.