PDA

View Full Version : Cedar bowl #2

Terry Quiram
12-27-2003, 11:22 AM
I should call these Lasley bowls. This is another bowl made from the Cedar I got from Bob. I like the shape and heft of this one better. Size is 9"dia 4" tall with strong 1/2" wall. 3 heavy coats Watco's Natural wet sanded the last 2 coats. I wet sand for at least 30 minutes each time to really work the oil in. Beall buffed and waxed.

Terry

Tom Hintz
12-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Nice job!
I like the bevel on the rim, and the finish. I've never had much luck with the cedar I scare up in the yard and woods but I may have to give some better stock a try. I like the coloring and grain patterns in yours.

Keep it up!

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Terry, that is one Beautiful Bowl. The time spent on getting that finish was very well spent. Outstanding shape and size too. I need to strive to have more patience and get finishes that nice on my Turnings! :D Patience never was my finest attribute, but I am really going to try to improve on that aspect of my Turning in the New Year. Thanks for sharing your work Terry.................that is such a pleasure to look at! :)

Dave Smith
12-27-2003, 2:34 PM
Excellent results Terry. I got to finish some TN cedar bowls from wood I got from the Barbers two years ago. First I have to get a salad bowl off the lathe. But I have to sharpen the scraper first. By the time I get that done it will be time to put an other cost of finish on some projects. And after finishing I treat myself to some computer time. I am on the computer so why go through all the other stuff.

Dave Smith

No wonder I don't get anything done in Longview, WA.

Joe Tonich
12-27-2003, 5:20 PM
Hi Terry,

Whoever said, "Thin is in" is CRAZY!! I like the heavy, solid look of your bowl. You definitely did the wood justice. :) The light spots on it look like dappled sunlight. :cool: COOL! :cool:

Joe

Jim Becker
12-27-2003, 9:20 PM
Terry, I too, like the outward bevel on the rim...and will probably steal that idea on a future project! It really changes the overall profile to a very interesting presentation. Nice job on these turnings!

Happy Holidays!