PDA

View Full Version : Purpleheart

Les Schlanger
04-13-2007, 8:35 PM
I am building a cabinet out of Purpleheart and Ambrosia maple and am a bit confused about the finishing process. I have been told by some sources not to use mineral spirits, or oil base finishes as this will accelerate the color change of purpleheart from purple to brown, which I would like to avoid. My thought was to use a water based poly on the dyed maple, and the purpleheart. Is there anyone out there who can give me some guidance!? Thank you in advance for your help.
Les

Steve knight
04-13-2007, 10:41 PM
depends on the purpleehart. there are two main species I see one has a tighter grain is a bit denser and turns lighter purple when you cut it. the other one has a more open grain is not as dense and turns brown when you cut it. that one tends to turn brown more afterwards. that one the oil may speed it up. the first one does not seem to have that problem. a coat of shellac should do it.

Les Schlanger
04-14-2007, 1:23 PM
Thanks Steve!! I did notice that one type turned brown when cut!!!
Les

Steve knight
04-14-2007, 1:46 PM
it seems to be the most common one. I get the stuff that stays purple here. I also foudn anotehr species that is even more dence and a finer grain that really stinks when it is cut. I got some that was culy like curly maple very cool.