PDA

View Full Version : Passed up a deal on a Unisaw

scott spencer
12-27-2003, 8:29 AM
By chance, I ran across an older Uni (maybe 30 years old) with a 52" Unifence and no motor for $250. It was in good shape (was told mint before I saw it and that the fence was a Biese), and it had seen some commercial use. The top needed a good polishing, but there was no pitting. It had new arbor bearings and many updated bushings, etc. The height adjustment wheel was pretty tight, but the angle adjustment worked smoothly. With a new motor and some elbow grease, having it up and running would have set me back ~ $600....figuring my General contractor saw would fetch ~ $500, it would have only been $100 out of pocket.

I couldn't do it. My GI is less than a year old, it's shiny and new with a router table and extensions all built on to it, and I've come to love that Biesemeyer fence. Even though I know that the guts of the Uni are twice what the GI has, and there are several other long term advantages, I couldn't do it. I just didn't want to be futzing around trying to make it work as smoothly as what I'm used to, and couldn't justify the risk of getting rid of a really nice saw for an unknown with potential advantages. The GI may not have the 3 ponies that the Uni would have, but it's cuts everything I've thrown at it.

Anyone else ever pass on what they thought would be their dream saw? Comments on my decision?

Terry Quiram
12-27-2003, 9:35 AM
I passed up a HUGE Walker-Turner bandsaw because my garage was too small. Now I have a shop with 12' ceiling with plenty of room. Sigh.....

Terry

George Summers
12-27-2003, 9:48 AM
What is the geographic location of this gem, should others here be interested?

George

scott spencer
12-27-2003, 12:18 PM
What is the geographic location of this gem, should others here be interested?

George

It's in Rochester, NY and will be listed locally pretty soon.

Tom Peterson
12-27-2003, 4:02 PM
You probably did the right thing. Based on input I received from our members, I passed on an older saw (3 PH). Its hard to find time to fit in all the woodworking that I would like to do. I didn't need a project of re-hab on a saw also. I am still watching for a used cabinet saw. If one doesn't show by the spring woodworking show, I'll probably buy new.

mike malone
12-27-2003, 7:59 PM
[QUOTE=scott spencer]By chance, I ran across an older Uni (maybe 30 years old) with a 52" Unifence and no motor for $250. It was in good shape (was not have the 3 ponies that the Uni would have, but it's cuts everything I've thrown at it.

hi scott
i think you did the right thing in this case. you would have had to cut the cabinet to get a new motor in and would have to buy a new expensive unisaw type motor. Unless you are into restoration...look for a "turnkey" unit, that hasn't been butchered. they are "out there"...
happy new year to all...
mike