PDA

View Full Version : First Festool

Roy McQuay
04-13-2007, 1:41 PM
I went to Woodcraft yesterday and bought a new lathe and while there, the salesman from Festool came in and gave me a personal demo of Festool machines. I was impressed but just paid for my lathe, Jet 1442, and left. I left the lathe there to pick up this morning. I got the lathe this morning and then went back in and bought the Domino with all the trimmings including the mid size vac. For making chairs, I think it will be much faster than conventional m/t joints and way stronger than dowelling. I hope it is worth the expense in time saved, but I am sure, from reading other posts, it will be.

Jim Becker
04-13-2007, 2:32 PM
Congratulations, Roy! Welcome to yet another slippery slope! :D Gee...turning and Festool in one week. That's a BIG hole to step in! LOL! :D :D :D

Roy McQuay
04-13-2007, 2:57 PM
Thanks Jim. I have had a Delta midi lathe a long time, but never used it much, so I am new to turning as I want to try larger wood. The Domino made sense to me because I make a lot of chidrens rocking chairs out of figured woods and they take me a lot of time to assemble. I have promised each of our 11 grandchildren one and so far have only made one for them. I have probably made 50 though. Anyway, I also do a lot of outdoor furniture and the Festool salesman said a new domino tenon will be available soon for outdoor use. That outdoor stuff sold me.

Ted Miller
04-13-2007, 3:34 PM
Roy, I have the domino and I use for so many different things I can't write them all down. so far all my carcass assembly, face frames, table tops, door jambs and right now I am working on assembling a vanity and all the drawers are done with dominos. Its a great tool and with zero measuring and the time I have saved with assembly is crazy. I also own the TS 75, CT 22, PS 300 EQ, 118" guide rail, OF 1400 EQ, RO 150 EQ, LS 130 and a few other items and I have found them to be awesome to work with in my shop as well as at job sites...

Dan Stuewe
04-13-2007, 3:37 PM
the Festool salesman said a new domino tenon will be available soon for outdoor use.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Is it smaller so epoxy will work better? Why does there need to be an outdoor version of the tenon?

Roy McQuay
04-13-2007, 3:51 PM
That's interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Is it smaller so epoxy will work better? Why does there need to be an outdoor version of the tenon?The salesman didn't know what material would be used for the new tenons. They are beech now. He just said they would be more suitable for outdoor projects.

Bob Childress
04-13-2007, 4:06 PM
Well, Roy, you picked a good one to start with (dang that dangling preposition). :) I've only had mine a few days and am already in love.

I heard that the "new" tenons would be some type of mahogany, but don't quote me.

Anyway, you are doomed now. :D

Roy McQuay
04-13-2007, 4:19 PM
Yes, I see now why people love them. I am just piddling and love it. I am sure that soon I won't know how I lived without it. I will be adding the Rotex sander soon. Then the router....the saw.... I can't get over the dust free workbench. I love it.

Ted Miller
04-13-2007, 4:24 PM
From FOG:

Waterproof Dowels for exterior applications, identified by dark wood with distinctive grain and a special symbol on the dowel. Given the darker colour of the wood, it should be possible to use this as a feature when making through tenons, where the end of the dowel is purposefully revealed.

They will be made from Mahogany hopefully available this summer...

Orson Carter
04-13-2007, 5:13 PM
Can someone please allay my fears and tell me this is some kind of plantation Mahogany and not Honduran?

Regards,

Orson

Ken Milhinch
04-13-2007, 6:56 PM
Why ?:confused:

Orson Carter
04-13-2007, 7:35 PM
Hi Ken,
Where do you buy Honduran Mahogany in Melbourne. AFT have none and don't expect any soon, Mathews haven't seen it for a long time. Its now protected in South America. I would hate to think that somehow a protected species was being used to make dominoes for outdoor use. That's why, and and I'm not getting dragged into a "Greenies v Woodies" argument.:)

Regards

Orson

Ted Miller
04-13-2007, 8:08 PM
Honduran Mahogany is not illegal as long as it complies with all the rules and regs from CITES. Any mahogany supplied from Peru is illegal, at least here in the US...

Gary Keedwell
04-13-2007, 8:28 PM
Hi Ken,
. That's why, and and I'm not getting dragged into a "Greenies v Woodies" argument.:)

Regards

Orson
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:
Gary K.

Per Swenson
04-13-2007, 9:35 PM
EARTH FIRST !

We will log new planets upon discovery.

Easy, this is a attempt at humor

Per

William Nimmo
04-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Yes, I see now why people love them. I am just piddling and love it. I am sure that soon I won't know how I lived without it. I will be adding the Rotex sander soon. Then the router....the saw.... I can't get over the dust free workbench. I love it.

I have the domino and rotex sander and love them. Still the plunge saw brings a smile everytime I use it. Probably the most used festool along with the vac.

Ken Milhinch
04-15-2007, 8:56 AM
Hi Ken,
Where do you buy Honduran Mahogany in Melbourne. AFT have none and don't expect any soon, Mathews haven't seen it for a long time. Its now protected in South America. I would hate to think that somehow a protected species was being used to make dominoes for outdoor use. That's why, and and I'm not getting dragged into a "Greenies v Woodies" argument.:)

Regards

Orson

Orson,

I don't know that I can buy it in Australia - I have never tried. I just don't get the argument that it is ok to cut down a tree planted by man, but it's not ok to cut one down that grew from "wild seed" so to speak. I don't wish to get started on the Greenies thing either, so let's leave it at that.