PDA

View Full Version : Wixely Digital angle gauge?

Jay Yoder
04-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey all! Hope everyone is having a great Friday!! My question is this:

Has anyone purchased the digital angle gauge? What are your thoughts? Is it accurate? I am contemplating the purchase of one at woodcraft this w/end (15% off...woohoo!!) and just wanted to see what you'all thought of it..

Thanks!!!

Guy Germaine
04-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I've got one and use it all the time. I've used it to set up my Table Saw and my Band Saw. I like it.

Jay Yoder
04-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks...Guy...It is one of those "accessory" purchases that i want to make the right decision about...

David Weaver
04-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I have one, too, and like it. It makes setup easy and it takes up almost no space when you're not using it.

Rob Bodenschatz
04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
I've got one. It's great. I highly doubt you'll regret purchasing it.

Gary Keedwell
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Works real good and at $40...you can't lose.
Gary K.;)

glenn bradley
04-13-2007, 1:42 PM
Sounds like they're pretty nice:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54427&highlight=wixey

Brian Dormer
04-13-2007, 5:55 PM
Go for it! It's great for setting up just about any tool with a table (except maybe the router table). I've used mine on TS, BS, CMS, and DP.

Tim Dorcas
04-13-2007, 7:45 PM
I recently bought one and have used it quite a bit on the tablesaw and bandsaw. It's incredibly easy to use and from what I can tell accurate.

Scott Rollins
04-13-2007, 8:13 PM
I couldn't be without it now that I have one. I feel like I can guarantee accurate cuts the first time without set-ups on BS TS and woodrat. I will probably buy the Table Saw Fence Digital Readout as soon as I finish paying for my woodrat and router set-up.

Gary Keedwell
04-13-2007, 8:22 PM
Thought I tried it on everything ...then it dawned on me to check my squares with it. Zeroed it out on my cast iron table saw top and checked the up-rights on my squares. My Starrett ( pride & joy) was a perfect 90º.
AHhhhhh piece of mind!!!
Gary K.:D

Paul Douglass
04-13-2007, 9:00 PM
Proceed with caution, you may think they are cheap, BUT, when I got mine and found out how "unsquare" my sqares were it cost me a Starrett 12" combination square and a Starrett 4" double square (should have got a 6" maybe)!! :eek:

Gary Keedwell
04-13-2007, 9:22 PM
Proceed with caution, you may think they are cheap, BUT, when I got mine and found out how "unsquare" my sqares were it cost me a Starrett 12" combination square and a Starrett 4" double square (should have got a 6" maybe)!! :eek:
:( Sorry to hear that. I knew mine was square when I bought it because I used to be an inspector in machine shop. I'm just happy it is still square after all these years!!!
How long have you had your Starrett? Maybe they are going "downhill?"

Gary K.

Jeff Miller
04-13-2007, 10:51 PM
On their website(Woodcraft) I only see 10% off or am I not looking in the right place, please help I want 15%:)

Alan Greene
04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
I have had mine for a few months now and I am very happy with it. Use it on the TS, Jointer, BS.

John Miliunas
04-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Definitely a "must have" item in my shop now! Been using mine for several months and have found it to be spot-on and a great time saver. Go for it!!! :) :cool:

Bill Leung
04-14-2007, 2:04 PM
I got mine a month ago. Seems to work great and gives me the piece of mind that things are correctly angled. I use it on my TS, BS and CSMS.

Bob Noles
04-14-2007, 2:44 PM
Had mine a couple of months and have found more uses for it than a cat has lives.

A great investment and piece of mind.

Bruce Wrenn
04-14-2007, 11:49 PM
I bought mine at Woodcraft last Nov, with birthday month discount. Woodsmith paid me a hundred bucks for tip using Wixey that is in current issue. Check it out. A note, you don't have to square head, just rest Wixey on fence and zero prior to placing in miter slot bar.

Jeff Miller
04-15-2007, 12:14 AM
I bought mine at Woodcraft last Nov, with birthday month discount. Woodsmith paid me a hundred bucks for tip using Wixey that is in current issue. Check it out. A note, you don't have to square head, just rest Wixey on fence and zero prior to placing in miter slot bar.

Bruce is the issue the one shown on their website now.(so I know which one to look for )

THANKS

JEFF

Paul Douglass
04-15-2007, 10:41 AM
:( Sorry to hear that. I knew mine was square when I bought it because I used to be an inspector in machine shop. I'm just happy it is still square after all these years!!!
How long have you had your Starrett? Maybe they are going "downhill?"

Gary K.

I meant my old cheap squares were not square. My new Starretts are AWESOME! I just got them a couple weeks ago.

Gary Keedwell
04-15-2007, 1:15 PM
I meant my old cheap squares were not square. My new Starretts are AWESOME! I just got them a couple weeks ago.

Alright!!! You restored my faith in the old standard, Starrett. Starrett and I go back over 40 years and have heard lately that their QC is not what it used to be.:( Hopefully the accusations are unfounded.

Gary K.

Jay Yoder
04-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Bruce...great tip! I picked one up at 15% off due to a card i got in the mail! I cant wait to use it, but i have a plumbing project ahead of any fun time for me! Oh well...

Jay Yoder
05-01-2007, 12:20 PM
hi all, me again...am i missing something? Mine is not working right...i follow directions...place on table turn on and zero, but when i move it to the blade, the readout does not change at all...is there a trick?

Rich Torino
05-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Jay,
It might be just "dead on arival".... It does happen some time. I would just contact Woodcraft custmer service. They are usually pretty good..

Brad Townsend
05-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Jay,
It might be just "dead on arival".... It does happen some time. I would just contact Woodcraft custmer service. They are usually pretty good..
Amen to Rich's comment, Jay. It's not you. The first one I got was also flakey. Woodcraft is very good about stuff like this, but if you run into any problem, you can also email Barry Wixey direct. He is excellent about taking care of issues like this. He sent me a replacement which has worked like a charm for months now.

digital@wixey.com

Gary Keedwell
05-01-2007, 1:35 PM
hi all, me again...am i missing something? Mine is not working right...i follow directions...place on table turn on and zero, but when i move it to the blade, the readout does not change at all...is there a trick?
Hi Jay...I would say it is either the battery or you have a defective gage. Try a new battery and see how it does.:)
Gary K.

Steve Clardy
05-01-2007, 7:57 PM
I purchased one several weeks ago.
I really like it.