PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust

TYLER WOOD
04-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Tried tuurning some honey locust I got a couple of weeks ago. WHEW!!! That stuff does not play well. My tools were chattering really bad. I don't know if my tools were not sharp enough, my angle of approach was off, or it was just the wood. I finally got a natural edge bowl roughed out. Still need to finish sanding, but am going to wait till it dries and then sand and finish the piece. Hope you all can wait that long for pics! It turned out ok, not really satisfied with the form, but not much else I could do with the size and sape of the piece of wood.

TYLER WOOD
04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
oh yeah, it turned out 7 1/4" diameter bowl portion is 2 1/2" deep and the base it 1" for overall of 3 1/2". Nice size and shape for a candy bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2007, 1:02 PM
Yep honey locust is hard and sharp tools are a must. If you think that is hard try turning some dry black locust. :eek: :eek: :mad: That stuff is hard.

Jim Becker
04-13-2007, 2:57 PM
The "secret" to turning locust is...turn it when it's fresh and wet. Once it dries...you're in for a real ride! HARD is, umm...not strong enough.

TYLER WOOD
04-13-2007, 4:20 PM
This wood was cut down about 3 weeks ago maybe four tops

George Tokarev
04-13-2007, 4:24 PM
Lots of hardness difference? Woods with big early/latewood differences have a tendency to bounce even a well-secured tool. Or, like some red pines, crush the brittle stuff into the soft when you give 'em a bit too much pressure. Suppose sanding will tell the tale. If it ridges real fast, that's the problem.