PDA

View Full Version : New vendor in town

Mario Lucchesi
04-13-2007, 9:30 AM
Are any of you familiar with a vendor called Fastenal?

They just opened a new store near me and have tools and fasteners of all kinds. They have a saw blade sharpening service as well, has anyone used it.

They also carry a tool brand called Jonnesway. they say that Ingersol Rand makes the air tools for Jonnesway and that they are everybit as good.

Joe Chritz
04-13-2007, 9:35 AM
They have stores all around.

Probably as good as any other to deal with but I expect it to be all based on the quality of any individual they have working for them.

I get almost any industrial stuff like that from MSC direct, Northern Tool or Enco but if I had a decent local shop I would throw business their way.

Don't know about the air tools. Any I have get used twice a year (except nailers and spray gun) so mine are bottom end.

Joe

David Weaver
04-13-2007, 9:37 AM
We have them here. I am only a hobbyist, so I have time to wait for the best deal, though, and I'm always able to find a better deal on amazon, etc. for things. I get my screws from McFeely's and I don't do anything important enough with bolts or other fasteners to need better than Borg quality.

It does seem like a genuinely good hardware type store, though, and they can order almost anything they don't have in stock.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2007, 9:41 AM
Hey....must be a national company as I saw one in Moscow Idaho.....We in Idaho are the last ones to get one of anything....including a super Walmart....my wife whines about that all the time!

Kyle Kraft
04-13-2007, 9:46 AM
I've done business with Fastenal on an industrial level for years, and they offer a wide variety of Maintenance, Repair, and Operations parts and supplies. I buy grinding wheels, and cutoff wheels from them because I can see and touch the stuff before I buy, and they carry Norton abrasives.

They will also sell onesy twosy on drills, taps, and such for the hobbyist.

As always, some suppliers have good deals on some things, and not on others....so shop around.

No, I don't work for them:D

Bruce Benjamin
04-13-2007, 11:02 AM
There's been a Fastenal in my town for several years now and I've shopped there occasionally. I haven't usually gone there just for regular deck, drywall, or wood screws because there are several other sources much more conveniently located to me. I've gone there mostly when I had a project that also required more unusual or specialty fasteners thinking that since this is their primary business they should be the place to go. Probably 8 out of 10 times they not only don't have the specialty fastener but they're also missing one or more of the standard fasteners I'm looking for too. I've all but given up on them because the local Ace Hardware or even one of the big box stores is more likely to have what I want. They are now a last resort if nobody else has what I want. They always try to help and are very friendly but I find it's nearly always frustrating. Half of the time they don't even know what I mean when I give the standard trade name or give a description of what I want. It can't just be me. I don't know how they've stayed in business. Their prices aren't especially good either. The local Ace or Orchard Supply is far more likely to have what I want. They seem to be there primarily for construction crews who don't want to go to Home Depot or Lowes and don't really care how much they pay for their tools either.

Bruce

Craig D Peltier
04-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I went to one for my first time last monday.I went there two sundays ago to buy a Starrett straightedge but they were closed.Then I came back and read that post about Starrett and decided to not support them.So next monday I went to local hardwood store 500 feet away to have a piece passed through there drum sander while I waited I went over there.
They dont have any Starrett there but they can order it? He just calls his local rep and they send it.So they play middle man.I was hoping to touch it before I bought one (not starrett).
Thye carried de walt power tools at this one I was at. My local true value has much more fasteners than they do so im good there.
They did have alot of cutoff wheels as someone had mentioned. Alot of zip ties some like 4 feet too.So thats always good to know.

Joe Meazle
04-13-2007, 3:03 PM
The guy that runs the one here was a real jerk. He made the borg seem well run. I need to see if he is still there. I will not go back if he is.

Ryan Myers
04-13-2007, 7:39 PM
I have an account with them. They have access to a huge variety of fasteners. Not always the best on prices for common fasteners such as drywall screws. If my local store doesn't have something I need they more often than not can have it to me in a day or two with no extra shipping charges. While back I needed some 5" x #10 construction screws, they had them. Try finding those at the BORG.