PDA

View Full Version : Completed Project

Brian Penning
04-13-2007, 9:05 AM
I notice there aren't too many completed projects posted here so I thought I'd post one I just finished this week.
Maloof style rocker in mahogany and walnut backslats. This is my 6th one and yes I'm addicted to making them.
Thanks for looking..
http://www.brianpenning.com/index_files/image8071.jpg

http://www.brianpenning.com/index_files/image864.jpg

http://www.brianpenning.com/index_files/image8601.jpg

Jim Becker
04-13-2007, 9:07 AM
Beautiful work, Brian...it just "flows". I can understand why you enjoy making them!

Mike Waddell
04-13-2007, 9:10 AM
Excellent work, Brian. I've been wanting to make one of those.

How did you prepare for making your first? Did you go to a hands-on course, or just look over pics and plans?

Mike

Mario Lucchesi
04-13-2007, 9:13 AM
WOW

That is amazing!!

Awesome work.

Brian Penning
04-13-2007, 9:16 AM
Mike> I mostly looked over pics and the DVD on Sam Maloof. Also made at first a craftsman style rocker from a plan that more or less gave me the general dimensions and layout of the rockers and back legs.

Don Bullock
04-13-2007, 9:21 AM
Brian, that chair is fantastic. I marvel at your skill to make them and, like Jim, can understand why you enjoy making them. You are certainly a talented craftsman. Your choice of different woods, mahogany and walnut backslats, is interesting. I've noticed that a lot on projects and like the contrast it creates in a pice very much. The grain of your mahogany is esopecially beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

As for completed projects being posted, I have noticed a lull as well. Perhaps, as the weather warms up (it's hard to believe some of the harsh weather even recently in some parts of the country) more of us will get more "shop time" and complete those projects we're working on. For me, my :day job" is an additional factor along with showing my dogs many weekends. I'm looking forward to my summer break from teaching so I can start using all the tools I've accumulated this year.:D

Mathew Nedeljko
04-13-2007, 9:33 AM
Congratulations Brian, fantastic looking chair... I'm hoping to get into chair building at some point, but right now it looks a bit intimidating.

How did you get the curvature in the backslats? Are they steambent?

Brian Penning
04-13-2007, 9:39 AM
Mathew>backslats are laminated( 3 pieces 1/8" thick) as are the rockers themselves
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Bri68/Miscilaneous/IMG_2629.jpg?t=1176471506

Paul Douglass
04-13-2007, 9:57 AM
That is beautiful. Thanks for posting, reminds me we are suppose to use these tool we talk about on this forum, not just buy and upgrade! :D

I think I will go turn some of mine on today!

Jason Tuinstra
04-13-2007, 10:37 AM
The addiction is totally understandable when they turn out as well as this! It looks great.

scott spencer
04-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Now THAT'S something to be proud of! Outstanding work...

Chris Dodge
04-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Great work! Very fine craftsmanship! Chairs are one thing I have not built yet but need to give a try. You're work is inspiring!

Rich Torino
04-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Just a wonderful piece of work...

Eric Wong
04-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm always impressed with people who can make chairs!
Nice job!

John Schreiber
04-13-2007, 11:50 AM
That's very nice. A good addiction to have.

Having made six of them, do you keep making changes to the design as you go? How do you decide what to change?

glenn bradley
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
That is a very graceful chair. Beautiful work. Do you bend the back slats or cut them out that way?

Peter Stahl
04-13-2007, 1:36 PM
Show off!, Really nice looking chair, keep em coming Brian!

Mike Hill
04-13-2007, 1:50 PM
Brian: Beutiful job and something to be really proud of. I always wondered how you shape the seat on one of these. Router or ???
Mike

Brian Penning
04-13-2007, 2:01 PM
-The seats are shaped using the most dangerous tool I've ever used -A lancelot. It's a chainsaw disk that goes on a grinder. Goes very fast though. Marc Singer did a post b4 that is basically the same way I do it. I use a template that has holes in it to tell you where to drill to certain depths. This tells you when to stop grinding down to the required depth.
-I used to cut the backslats on the bandsaw but changed to laminating them-I get much better uniform results.
You can see some of my other rockers at this link. This last one is what has evolved from them. http://www.brianpenning.com/index_files/Page439.htm
Thanks for the compliments..

Paul Johnstone
04-13-2007, 2:25 PM
Wow, that's totally amazing work. I've never had the courage (or the time) to even attempt a chair.

jeremy levine
04-13-2007, 2:31 PM
Wow, that is a fine rocker !

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Mr Penning,

Another beautiful chair! I think that you should consider teaching chair making my friend, your chairs always capture my imagination and I say to myself, "I'd Love to Make One".

I am sure as the snows dissapear and the blooms open in that amazing garden of yours that some new and wonderful projects will come from your shop this spring...they all are wonderful but none seem quite as wonderful for me to enjoy as these chairs,

You "Rock"......I guess so, eh!:D