PDA

View Full Version : Jameison Secondary Rest Question

Ed Scolforo
04-13-2007, 6:24 AM
Hi,all. I recently built a secondary rest to support my Jamieson D-Bar handle using Jameison's directions and a pic from Travis (thank you!). Having a short bed Nova DVR, I made the support along the ways of 3/4" plywood, 28" long and drilled every 2" to accomodate different positions. When the base is extended near all the way out I get a fair amount of flex on the d bar support arm. My hold down is 1/4 x 20 thread. The 3/4" plywood doesn't seem to be stiff enough to prevent flex. Is some flex ok or should I be using something stiffer? Other suggestions? Thanks.
Ed

Jim Becker
04-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Ed, the extension I build for the rear rest to be used on Stubbalina is three layers of 3/4" plywood thick. This accomplished both the stiffness goal as well as adapting the secondary rest originally constructed for a 10 inch swing lathe to the larger machine.

Bill Wyko
04-13-2007, 12:27 PM
You might want to look at 3/4 baltic birch plywood. Not the stuff at Home Depot but the 5'x5', 13 ply material you' find at woodworkers or other specialty shops.

Ed Scolforo
04-13-2007, 6:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Bill, I ordered a piece of 3/4" Baltic Birch from Woodcraft this afternoon.
ED

Bill Wyko
04-13-2007, 7:23 PM
No problem my friend:D