PDA

View Full Version : Corian paint tips

Mike Lush
04-13-2007, 2:53 AM
Hi all,

I'm playing with corian for the first time and am enjoying it. What I am wondering is what would be a good paint to use if the sign is placed outdoors? Do you need to use a sealer?

Thanks,
Mike

Keith Outten
04-13-2007, 7:06 AM
Mike,

You can use just about any type of paint you prefer on Corian, even latex paint will adhere well. I use Rustoleum or Krylon spray paint to fill most of my Corian signs. You can also use Dupont's colored adhesive to color fill for a permanent solution...and I mean permanent. Colored caulk is also an option.

Using rattle cans makes it easy to either change the color later on or to refresh the paint after many years in service. The ability to repaint in place then run a random orbital sander over the surface is part of the low maintenance cost that I explain to my customers. Provided you engrave your Corian with a reasonable depth you could repaint many times over several decades which provides a brand new sign in just minutes. A sealer shouldn't be necessary.

mike klein
04-18-2007, 7:45 AM
I would like your input to this Keith as you seem to be very familiar with the corian products. I have a customer wanting some 5x7 and 8x10 plaques made up and these will be going indoors, in a pool area, which we all know is very humid all the time. My first thought was to use corian and color fill the text and graphics. I'm wondering if a person should also seal the material, say with a krylon clear coat or just leave it alone. I just want to make sure these last for many years..

Mike

Keith Outten
04-18-2007, 5:22 PM
Mike,

Rattle cans of Krylon or Rustoleum for paint filling the text is all you need, you don't need to seal your plaque. Inside, even in a humid pool area it should last for decades.