PDA

View Full Version : TV on PC Screen

Joe Pelonio
04-12-2007, 7:24 PM
After a lot of research I decided to try a $69 USB Tuner on one of the computers here in the shop, and the darned thing actually works. It will do analog or digital, and has a little box with connection for antenna or cable to plug in, and a remote control. Not that I'd watch daytime TV while working, or at all for that matter, but lately I've been working into the evenings and weekends, and I do enjoy baseball games. I hooked it to the one that runs the laser, and can switch back to Corel when needed and still have the sound. Right now I'm using rabbit ears and get just 8 stations, but the cable company has offered up to two digital boxes free for a year so I've ordered one. It also lets you use the PC as a DVR, though I haven't time to play with that yet.

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I had a TV tuner card in my PC for a number of years...I only recently removed it. They do work fine, at least for any analog channels you can receive from your service provider. Someone, I believe ATI, will soon have one that will accept a Cable Card, making digital offerings available, too. It's sometimes convenient to be able to put a show in a window when you just can't get away from the computer...you know, like Norm in the lower, right corner and PowerPoint in the rest of the screen? :D

Mike Cutler
04-13-2007, 9:18 AM
Interesting topic. Only because I've been looking for a satellite input device for HDTV ( Don't bother looking. No such device exists at this time, in fact it would be against the law to make one. There is one for "free HDTV over the airwaves). The High Def digital signal is being protected.
The upgrade to the ATI Wonder TV Tuner will allow you to receive and play back cable at 720, but the true HDTV standard is currently at 1080i and 1080p . In Europe Maglia and ElGato have devices that perform the function that Jim refers to, but they aren't available over here yet.
A simpler route than the PC card is the USB, or Firewire input devices to convert cable to play on the screen. Maglia and ElGato both make a few products that provide this function. You're limited on resolution though.

I don't own a TV, but I do like hockey so I have a Satellite box connected to my computer to watch NHL Center Ice.

Joe Pelonio
04-13-2007, 11:22 AM
This one I have by Pinnacle is USB, and the picture is better than what my daughter gets on her analog TV on rabbit ears. I'll get a better idea of the quality when I get the cable box and hook that up to it. We can't do satellite
here due to big trees.

David G Baker
04-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I had a TV tuner card in my PC for a number of years...I only recently removed it. They do work fine, at least for any analog channels you can receive from your service provider. Someone, I believe ATI, will soon have one that will accept a Cable Card, making digital offerings available, too. It's sometimes convenient to be able to put a show in a window when you just can't get away from the computer...you know, like Norm in the lower, right corner and PowerPoint in the rest of the screen? :D
Jim,
I have been watching cable TV on my computer monitor for around 8 years using an ATI video card with a built in tuner. It worked great. I upgraded my computer and the ATI card is not compatible with my new motherboard. I have been looking for a good compatible card at a good price off an on since the upgrade. I could watch TV and work on the computer at the same time by shrinking the TV window. Up until recently I could buy a color TV cheaper than I could get a good TV tuner board. I am going to check out the USB tuner set up.

Jim Becker
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
David, hopefully new cards/devices will come along that support the digital tuning that is becoming increasingly more important as cable companies reduce the number of analog channels and move most content to digital. Some only have locals on analog at this point already. And cards/devices that support cable card will be able to bring the digital content to you without the separate cable box to unscramble the signals.

Dan Mages
04-13-2007, 3:08 PM
I have been using TV PC cards for about 10 years now and love them. I prefer the cards made by ATI because they come with nice TIVO style software for recording shows.

Have fun.

dan