PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Gray with Some Black and Blue (Gloat)

Don Bullock
04-12-2007, 6:43 PM
I finally got the top of my drill press/mortiser cart finished. I decided to use a Craftsman rolling tool chest as a base. On top of that I've added two layers of 3/4" plywood. The top piece is some extra oak that I had. The oak is finished with some poly. I still have to make the side and end pieces to cover up the edges of the plywood, but at least it is all functional. All my drill bits, hand drills, mortising bits and other drill related tools are in the drawers of the tool chest. It's great for organization and mobility. The drill press is a Delta 300L and the mortiser is a Steel City.

Yes, I have pics.:D

The drill press table is the large Rockler table. It's a little big on the 12" Delta, but it works well and goves me a lot of support for the wood I'm drilling.

glenn bradley
04-12-2007, 7:32 PM
Sweet setup and great on space.

Frank Snyder
04-12-2007, 7:52 PM
Nice combination, Don. I especially like that drill press table. Enjoy!

Ron Jones near Indy
04-12-2007, 7:58 PM
Sweet looking arrangement! I'm sure you will like it.

Scott Taylor
04-13-2007, 1:18 AM
Don,

I notice you went for the Steel City. How do you like it? I just purchased one and I've only gotten as far as assembly and toying. Just curious if you have accumulated some hours to give feedback. Thanks.

Scott

Tom Cowie
04-13-2007, 5:40 AM
Nice set up Don,

Great use of space .

Tom

Mario Lucchesi
04-13-2007, 7:53 AM
Great idea, And very nice execution. It is very nice. Looks like you should get years of use from that setup.

Don Bullock
04-13-2007, 8:29 AM
Don,

I notice you went for the Steel City. How do you like it? I just purchased one and I've only gotten as far as assembly and toying. Just curious if you have accumulated some hours to give feedback. Thanks.

Scott

Scott, I just put it together yesterday. I had to wait until I had the tool case top finished before I could put it together. My plans are to use it on a project I have scheduled for this summer when I'm off from school. There isn't time for it right now. I will start practicing with it as soon as I can.

One thing that I did notice is that the caddie on the back for the chisels doesn't work well. When I put a chisel in it the plastic cap at the end came off and the drill bit came flying out the bottom. For now all my chisels are in boxes in one of the drawers. Either I'm doing something wrong or the caddie design isn't right. Other than that I think that the fit and finish are excellent.

Jason Tuinstra
04-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Very nice choices. I have the same drill press and have never needed the extra height of the bigger ones.