PDA

View Full Version : Glue for polypropylene

Mike Henderson
04-12-2007, 6:05 PM
A friend asked me this question and I couldn't answer it - so I told him I'd tap the knowledge of the forum.

Anyone know how to glue polypropylene (to wood or to itself)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

Dave Lindstrom
04-12-2007, 6:59 PM
I doubt anything will really glue polypropylene, but if anything would, I'd bet on 3M 5200 Polyurethane adhesive/sealant. Full-service boating stores like West Marine will have it (and you might get other ideas by talking to them. It probably won't work without some kind of mechanical attachment (e.g., screws), but I be it'll keep whatever it is from moving around.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-12-2007, 7:50 PM
Anyone know how to glue polypropylene (to wood or to itself)?

The best way to get prop to stick to itself is to melt it and cause the molten sections to come together. You can weld it too using hot nitrogen gas and propylene weld rod.

To use a third agent glue you can flash the oils off the surface with a propane torch and then quickly, before more oil forms, apply the glue or adhesive material.

I have tried solvent wipes with limited success at best.

Gluing polypropylene is really not an easy thing to do because the polymer is constantly giving off oils that interfere with any bond.

David Giles
04-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Welding is the only real way of attaching PP to itself. In making a Trex gate, I tried many different glues (Trex is half PP, half wood fibers). None worked unless the surface was sanded to expose the wood fibers. West epoxy bonded the best at that point.

There's a reason why Titebond comes in PP containers.

ROBERT ELLIS
04-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I can't remember if it's polypropylene or polyethelene that a lot of the plastic on cars is made outof. But in either case the auto parts/body shop stores carry two part epoxy that is made for the above mentioned plastic...it's fairly expensive though.

Noah Katz
04-17-2007, 2:31 PM
"To use a third agent glue you can flash the oils off the surface with a propane torch and then quickly, before more oil forms, apply the glue or adhesive material."

Actual oil comes out of thplastic PP?

Is it ever a problem getting onto the stock re gluing, finishing, etc?

Mike Sery
04-17-2007, 2:50 PM
contact cement

Mike Henderson
04-17-2007, 2:51 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the information and suggestions. I'll pass the data on to my friend.

Mike