PDA

View Full Version : Favorite composite decking?

Eric Wong
04-12-2007, 5:41 PM
I'm expanding my deck this summer, and we're going composite. I've found the selection of composites is staggering. For those of you who have worked with Trex, ChoiceDeck, Cross Timbers, CorrectDeck, Evergrain, WeatherBest, etc, etc, etc....

What were your experiences? How have they lasted?

I'm leaning toward Trex right now just because my local HD carries it, but I need some help!:D

Anthony Anderson
04-12-2007, 5:45 PM
Eric, there was a lawsuit a few years ago against the makers of Trex, because of deterioration. Make sure that the issues with Trex has been resolved before going that route. I interested in what others have used as well. Thanks, Bill

Frank Snyder
04-12-2007, 5:54 PM
Hi Eric,

I made my front steps out of Trex about 3 years back. It's a bit expensive, but it holds up really well to my Southern exposure. The color will fade over time, but I think they mention that. It also looks the most natural (not shiny) of the composite decking materials I've seen. I also like the "no maintenance" of the Trex, but the same goes for any composite decking. Just be sure to use the right screws so you don't get the "mushrooms". Oh yeah...its also really heavy.

Frank Snyder
04-12-2007, 6:04 PM
Eric, there was a lawsuit a few years ago against the makers of Trex, because of deterioration. Make sure that the issues with Trex has been resolved before going that route. I interested in what others have used as well. Thanks, BillYou mean this?

http://www.trex.com/legal/classaction.asp

John Young
04-12-2007, 6:23 PM
I redid our deck a few years ago with Trex. If you shop around you may be able to get a good price. I got quotes from two local vendors. Then I went back and forth to each and drilled them down on the price. I ended up getting about 30% off of the original quote and getting free delivery. You might not be able to get Home Depot to come down on the price. But it is worth a try. I also checked with a few other stores that offered composites. The price ended up being about the same as the Trex after I got the Trex price down. I was not impressed with the other composite options at that time.
The deck has held up very well. The color has faded a little. But I think it still looks great. The surface can get a little hot in the summer. But I would rather have hot feet than to have to maintain a wood deck.

Eric Wong
04-12-2007, 6:30 PM
I also did a Google search about the lawsuit and didn't find too much. Settled out of court, haven't heard much since.

Frank and John, nice looking work, BTW.

Alfred Clem
04-12-2007, 8:04 PM
What is causing you to use composite materials? Here in Arizona I have had a deck made of 2x6 construction grade redwood since 1985, applying a coat of oil stain about every 12 to 18 months. It has held up very well under the Arizona sun, dryness, and solar radiation. I have looked at some of those composite decks in our area. Some good, some not.

Eric Wong
04-12-2007, 8:21 PM
What is causing you to use composite materials? Here in Arizona I have had a deck made of 2x6 construction grade redwood since 1985, applying a coat of oil stain about every 12 to 18 months. It has held up very well under the Arizona sun, dryness, and solar radiation. I have looked at some of those composite decks in our area. Some good, some not.

I like the look of composite, I hate maintenance, even just power washing the thing is a pain. I'm lazy I guess. My neighbor redid his deck with Trex (I think), and its looks very good.

Eric Wong
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM

Alfred, can you describe the problems you've seen with the ones that didn't look so good?

Jim Becker
04-13-2007, 12:08 PM
The one downside that I've heard from time to time about the composites is that they can get very hot in the sun...tough on the tootsies, if true. (Not that wood doesn't get hot, but apparently there is an order of magnitude if it can be believed) For you folks who have used the product, what is your take on that? Por favor...

Al Killian
04-13-2007, 2:10 PM
A older couple that I help out form time to time had Trex installed 10 years ago and has no prblem with it other then the contractor cut it in half to cut it to there house:mad: :eek: .

David G Baker
04-13-2007, 3:23 PM
Eric,
If you can stand the hot surface and want a material that will last at least 50 years check out Trimax. It is made from recycled plastic with fiberglass mixed in. The strength of the product matches or exceeds wood. It is not cheap but neither is composite materials.
I used Trimax for several projects while living in California and it is still looking great after 10 years(according to my ex-wife). California Sun is very destructive to many materials, it hasn't touched the Trimax. It gets hot with a direct Sun shining on it but most materials get quite warm.
Trimax makes posts, lumber and railings. Do a Google search for the specs.
I have no connection with Trimax other than I love the stuff. Wish I had a local supplier here in Mid Michigan.

Dave Falkenstein
04-13-2007, 4:44 PM
I have built a number of redwood decks and a few using composites. Trex and Weatherbest are very similar. Both have an option for a simulated grain, which helps with the uninteresting appearance that the material exhibits. I prefer the composits that are solid 1" or 2X material. Many of the composites have wierd profiles, and some require a propietary fastening system. Trex and Weatherbest can be screwed down just like any wood decking.

Personally, I prefer the look and feel of redwood, especially if you use a bracketing system like Deckmaster, where the screws are installed from below the deck. Deckmaster can be used with composites also - which I would recommend. Lots of folks like composites for the reduced maintenance, but then they choke when they discover the much higher initial cost. Not only is the decking more expensive, but you also need joists no more than 16" on center. If your deck expansion includes redoing the old part of the deck, figure in added joisting for the old deck. Composite railing materials are WAY expensive. I usually talk people into redwood pickets and rails with a composite cap to keep the cost reasonable.

I have discovered the best way to install composites (when using screws installed from the top side) is to pre-drill the decking. There are screws specially made for composites, but they don't work all that well, IMHO. Composite materials are very dense, and screws don't want to penetrate it. Pre-drilling eliminates that issue as well as the "bubbling" of the material out of the screw holes.

BTW, you will still need to powerwash your deck to keep it clean. Composites tend to show the dirt, especially if you choose a light color. In addition, the texture of composites makes the deck get dirty faster.

Good luck.