PDA

View Full Version : It's not a Kapex, but...

Frank Snyder
04-12-2007, 5:39 PM
I failed to take into account the amount of space required behind my Bosch 5412L when I purchased it (28" from the fence to the wall)...I lost all of my infeed/outfeed support from my flanking countertops, and I wasn't about to increase the base cabinet depth on all of my cabinets for a deeper countertop. My bad. So I'm selling it (see classifieds if interested).

The Kapex would've solved all of my problems, but unfortunately it is not available here just yet and I needed something now. So...I came across this Hitachi C12LSH which operates kinda like the Kapex (slides forward on fixed rails) and only needs about 18" from the fence to the back wall, so I can still get 6" of material support from my 25" deep flanking counter tops.

It also has an A/C laser (no batteries to change) though the laser line is obscured during the cut. There is a digital back lit readout for the bevel and miter angles, which I thought was a gimmick at first, but I've come to appreciate it since gauges themselves aren't all that easy to read. Also, there's less head play on this saw than any other SCMS I've used.

Probably the second best feature of this saw is its dust collection (shock)...it has a rubber shroud in front of the blade and a large 2"+ port which gets about 90% of the dust into the bag. I was impressed. Minor gripes include no on-board storage for the arbor wrench, the bevel lock is behind the saw and not so easy to reach (I got spoiled with the Bosch's up front bevel lock), there are no out feed supports included, and it is heavy to carry (67lbs.) Oh yeah...the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle design...you can form your own opinion.

So...until the Kapex shows up, this is the only SCMS solution to my space problem.

Don Bullock
04-12-2007, 7:18 PM
That's a great choice even without considering your limitations. I really like my 10" Hatachi SCMS. It was accurate right out of the box.

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Nice looking saw, Frank. I can see how it's design makes for better space utilization and I'm glad that the dust collection is relatively effective.

David Weaver
04-13-2007, 7:51 AM
Looks like a fine saw - especially with the Chopmaster on it. I have the non-sliding version of the saw and like it well enough, which is sometimes hard to do with tools that are on the lower end of the expense range.

If I had a little more room behind my saw, I'd have gotten one of those instead.

I'd ask you if you wanted a 6" forrest stabilizer with a 1" arbor hole, but I know first-hand that the 1" part of the arbor is just big enough for the blade.