PDA

View Full Version : Mouse For Laptop

Scott Greaves
12-26-2003, 8:37 PM
I just got a Dell laptop, and using the little touchpad is not my preferred method of controlling the cursor. What is the best mouse to use with a laptop, that is actually used on lap tops? Thanks!

Scott.

Kevin Beck
12-26-2003, 9:17 PM
I have a Logitech cordless optical notebook mouse on my Toshiba. Works great and has an on/off switch to save the battery when traveling. My mother has a very small corded notebook mouse on her laptop. I really don't care for the very small mice with my hands.

Almost anything beats using the little touch pad, even a corded wheel mouse :) I disabled my touch pad because I have big hands and was moving the cursor around when I typed.

Kevin

Scott Greaves
12-26-2003, 10:27 PM
I have a Logitech cordless optical notebook mouse on my Toshiba.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the recommendation! I looked this mouse up, and it appears to be just what I was looking for. A couple of questions - does the part that fits into a USB port stick straight out all the time, or does it swivel to the side? Does it ever get in the way? Thanks again!

Scott.

PS - My new computer is doing an annoying thing. If the cursor sits on a linkable area for a while, the computer takes it upon itself to go there. This is probably a feature somebody thought was convenient, but I think it's annoying. Does anybody know how to set it so it doesn't do this? Thanks.

Scott.

Kevin Beck
12-27-2003, 12:37 AM
The part that plugs into the USB port sticks out about 2 inches and will not bend. With the placement of the USB ports on my Toshiba it isn't a problem. I do take it out when traveling and keep it in the travel case that comes with the mouse.

Both of my sons computers have cordless optical mice with a cord connecting the mouse receiver to the USB port. This might work better if the direct plug-in receiver is in the way.

You might check the touchpad settings under Control Panel / Mouse to see if you can stop following links you rest on for a while. This is likely different on your Dell but the Toshiba touchpad has a lot of options.

Kevin