PDA

View Full Version : Fine tuning tenons by sanding?

Darl Bundren
04-12-2007, 5:21 PM
I just finished cutting some tenons in some white oak for a nightstand (my first M&T furniture ever) and, just as I feared, the tenons are too tight for snug assembly. I am thinking that I might use a belt sander upside down in the workmate to sand them down a bit. Is this a recipe for disaster? And, other than planing (no plane) are there other easy ways to get the tenons to fit? Thanks in advance.

Andrew Williams
04-12-2007, 5:23 PM
try a rasp first

David Weaver
04-12-2007, 5:26 PM
Or if a rasp is too aggressive, a big bastard file. I use a bastard file to clean out my mortises. Not for the purists, but it works.

Joe Spear
04-12-2007, 5:27 PM
And hold it as square as you can, without cutting into the shoulders.

Eric Wong
04-12-2007, 5:29 PM
I think a belt sander might be too aggressive. A shoulder plane is really the best tool for this job, but if you don't have one, I would either use a sharp chisel, sandpaper (hand sanding), or a file. Proceed carefully!

Howard Phillips
04-12-2007, 5:45 PM
I agree that a shoulder plane would be best, however a card scraper (drawn along the length of the tenon, depending on how much needs to be taken off) or a chisel would do. I would use either of these before a belt sander.

Mike Henderson
04-12-2007, 5:52 PM
I always make my tenons too tight and trim to fit. For the cheeks, I use a LN rabbit block plane, but paring with a sharp chisel will also work well. I haven't tried the rasps as suggested by others but that should work also.

I think most people cut tight and then trim. It's harder to add material back - which you do by gluing a piece of veneer to one of the cheeks.

Mike

James Phillips
04-12-2007, 6:19 PM
Planes are cheap. I would use this as an excuse to get one. I know not all planes are cheap, but you are going to have to flatten the bottom and sharpend it anyway, so you might as well buy an inexpensive one

Hans Braul
04-12-2007, 6:24 PM
I agree with the opinions above that a shoulder plane is the ideal tool for this job, and this appears to be the perfect opportunity to buy a sweet new tool! I have the Lee Valley medium and I love it.

Hans

Jesse Cloud
04-12-2007, 6:42 PM
If you wish to sand the tenon, the issue is keeping it flat and square. Best way to do this is to making sanding sticks. Take a piece of scrap, rip it to size (I generally go for a foot long and a couple of inches wide). Make enough pieces so that when put together the width is a little more than a sheet of sandpaper (or half a sheet). Spray some adhesive on the sticks and put a piece of 100 (or so) grit sandpaper on the sticks (grit side up of course:rolleyes:).

Then rip them apart with a utility knife.

You can get a very tight fit this way, but test often and look to see where the tenon gets burnished, then sand more there.

If you take off too much, glue a strip of veneer onto the thin side, let it dry and start over.

Good luck. M&T is a great joint and you will feel great once you have mastered them.

BTW, I agree that a shoulder plane would be a good investment!

Bob Wingard
04-12-2007, 7:11 PM
Back in High School Woodshop, I remember the teacher preaching to NEVER sand a surface that is to be glued .. .. .. ALWAYS GLUE A CUT JOINT. He said that the dust pushed into the pores during sanding will reduce the joint strength. I like to hang around at the ShopSmith demonstrations and bring that up right after they brag about "tuning" a miter by sanding just before gluing it up.

I have no quantitative figures to back up how much, if any the strength is lost, but I've always abided by his teachings and have never found him to be wrong.

Ellen Benkin
04-12-2007, 7:24 PM
You probably only have to remove a slight bit of wood to make the fit and a sander will be MUCH TOO rough for that. Try a plane, if you have one. It usually only takes a couple of strokes. If not, a rasp or file or chisel. NOT a belt sander!

Doug Shepard
04-12-2007, 9:02 PM
When you say they're too tight, I take that to mean that you can get them started in the mortise? If so, you sure wont need to take much off. I'd just wrap a piece of 80 grit around a block of wood, then clean the corner of the shoulder out with a sharp chisel. Make sure you dont concentrate all on one side though or the pieces may not go together flush.

Andrew Williams
04-12-2007, 9:10 PM
I usually use a shoulder plane on the cheeks if the tenon is way too tight. I don't like doing it, because it rolls the grain off, leaving all sorts of loose fibers. I always finish it up with a rasp anyway. A card scraper would work too. I think a bullnose plane would be best for the final cheek smoothing. Or a skew-blade rabbet plane. Anything that cuts with the grain instead of across it.

Gives me a reason to buy a bullnose and skew-blade rabbet plane too ;)

Darl Bundren
04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks, everybody! I used a couple of chisels (after, of course, I looked up plane prices and found them out of my league for right now:(), and now the tenons fit pretty well. I need to tweak the depth of the mortises now, but I'll have to get on that tomorrow or this weekend.

pat warner
04-13-2007, 9:22 AM
"And, other than planing (no plane) are there other easy ways to get the tenons to fit? Thanks in advance."

I never touch the tenons (http://patwarner.com/images/index_tenon.jpg), they're as-cut.
The mortise, on the other hand, is tuned to the net section of the tenon with this. (http://patwarner.com/images/morticing_jig3.jpg)

Jim Becker
04-13-2007, 9:38 AM
Shoulder plane, chisels and/or a simple sanding block are all you need. A belt sander could very well destroy your workpiece!

Roy Bennett
04-13-2007, 3:21 PM
Daryl, don't bother tweeking the mortice depth - just trim the tenon length. You will loose very little joint strength!