PDA

View Full Version : Intro

Ron Hardy
04-12-2007, 1:56 PM
I have been lurking and reading this forum for the past 2-3 weeks. So far I've gone through 170 pages. I have played around with woodworking for several years even taken a week long class with Bob Flexner. I am interested in all phases of woodworking. Turning is something I have never done. Right now it would be small items mainly pens and maybe later small bowls etc. I've bought some books and read up on pen turning as a start. I am also taking a 3 hour class on turning in May. The instructer is also on this forum as I have seen him respond several times to what has been put forth here. I have put a down payment on a Jet mini and probably after that class I will pay it off and take it home.

I am very lacking in sharpening skills at this point and would like some advise. I have read several post on a slow speed grinder and the Wolverine Jig. I can get a Delta 2 speed grinder 8" for $139 or I can order the grinder from Woodcraft for $119 which is also 2 speed. Is either one of these grinders that much better then the other and will the Wolverine Jig fit either or both. I know everyone has their favorites but from someone who has no idea either way( me ) any information would be great.

I've looked at the Tormex but right now I"m not sure I can spend the money for one. I just found a good deal on a RBI Hawk which I got ( I'm selling my old Sakura ) but I am also going to buy that Jet Mini lathe.

I have read about 170 pages of post and everyone here seems to want to help anyone with a question.
I'm from the Central Illinois area -- and Thanks for any help.

Frank Kobilsek
04-12-2007, 2:04 PM
Welcome Ron,

Central Illinois is a big place, I'm up in Mendota. I would recomend you visit the Central Illinois Woodturners Club. You can find the club site for details. We meet in Bloomington and Peoria.

I suspect you'll get alot of help with sharpening when you take your class and I would encourage you to wait to purchase a system until after that class. That said you'll likely end up with the Wolverine and an 8" slow speed grinder.

Frank

Neal Addy
04-12-2007, 2:22 PM
Welcome to the turning vortex!

Pretty much any grinder will work fine with the right wheels. After all, the grinder itself is just a platform. Most turners prefer Aluminum Oxide wheels for HSS turning tools. 60 grit AO wheels are good for reshaping. Anything from 80 to 120 grit is good for sharpening/honing.

The nice thing about the Woodcraft 8" slow-speed is that it comes with two decent AO wheels that would cost you almost as much separately as the grinder itself. Good bang-for-the-buck.

The Tormek is a very nice system but pricey. I personally couldn't justify it, myself.

One frequent topic of debate is 6" vs. 8". I don't know that there is a 'right' answer to which is best. An 8" gives you a less curved sharpening surface and usually allows up to 1" width (don't think I've seen a 6"x1" wheel but they may be out there). But a 6" wheel still sharpens steel. Either will work.

High-speed vs. slow-speed is another frequently discussed topic. Again, both will sharpen HSS just fine. I use a WC slow-speed and can't tell any difference in the sharpness of my tools.

The only type of grinder you don't want is one with large flanges or shoulders on the base that would obstruct the Wolverine from lining up under the wheel. The 6" Delta Shopmaster variable speed is a good example.

Good luck with your decision!

Neal Addy
04-12-2007, 2:55 PM
BTW, I mentioned the Wolverine in my post above but I should add that I do HIGHLY recommend it for folks new to sharpening. It will save you from buying new turning tools quite as frequently as you learn to sharpen.

I tried sharpening by hand for over a year when I first started and almost ruined a couple of good Sorby tools. My bevels were more dimpled than the rim of a Keith Burns "D&D" hollow form. After getting the Wolverine I was amazed at what a difference a properly sharpened tool can make. I consider it a 'must have' for new turners.

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2007, 3:00 PM
Ron, Welcome to the Creek!

Glad to see that you have signed up for a class - it will save you a lot of trial and error learning! As far as sharpening goes - I have been using an el cheapo 6" grinder (from Menards) with AO wheels and the Wolverine system. It works OK. When I can afford it I plan on picking up the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. My reasoning is that a slower running machine will take off just a little less metal - if I am careful. Most of the time I only need a light touch-up when sharpening and figure the slow speed would be the way to go.

I wish you luck with your class and watch out for your wallet as this sport can get expensive!

Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2007, 4:15 PM
Welcome Ron. I agree with Neal that if you are new I definately would get the wolverine jig and the slow speed grinder at woodcraft. It comes with 2 nice white wheels. I got mine for $90. The wheels on the woodcraft grinder bought seperately are almost as much as the grinder. Good luck with your classes.

Jonathon Spafford
04-12-2007, 4:37 PM
Welcome to the creek! Make sure you post lots of pix and enjoy yourself!

Glenn Hodges
04-12-2007, 5:08 PM
Welcome to the Creek, and I amen what Bernie says about the grinder he uses. I bought mine from the same place and have been using it for about 6 years with the Woverine Jig. Good luck, if you were close to me in Georgia I would welcome you by the house for help.

Terry Quiram
04-12-2007, 5:35 PM
Welcome Ron. Frank is right about Central Illinois Woodturners. We are a diverse group. In fact we signed up a new member Monday evening that has never turned at all. I am in the Peoria area. If you are close, give a shout.
Terry

Robert McGowen
04-12-2007, 6:49 PM
Welcome to the Creek! I remember the days when I also took a 3 hour pen turning class, bought a Jet mini, and had plenty of money.
Two of those things are just a memory now (I still have the Jet mini though!).........:rolleyes:
Sounds like you are well on your way...........:D

John Shuk
04-12-2007, 6:56 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek. The Woodcraft grinder is a good value especially when you consider that it includes good wheels for turners.

Ron Raymond
04-12-2007, 7:00 PM
Welcome aboard...always good to have another Ron!

Roy Griggs
04-12-2007, 7:15 PM
Ron,
Look at WoodCraft #144290, $25 less, 1/4 hp more, single speed, this is and excellent sharpening grinder. I personaly have never needed the 3450 rpm speed. Not having the high speed helps to avoid over heated tools.

Another thought, in "A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley there is a sharpening/tool rest design. I have made these and they are not as automatic as the Wolverine but with a little practice you can get a fine edge on your tools.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2007, 8:54 PM
Ron.....Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex! Take a photo of any money you have in your wallet and post it on the wall by your lathe....so you can remember what it looked like!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-12-2007, 9:38 PM
Ron.....Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex! Take a photo of any money you have in your wallet and post it on the wall by your lathe....so you can remember what it looked like!Better yet Ken, have him post it here so we can taunt him later.

Welcome Ron, this is the place of cool waters, endless needs and insatiable wants.The remainder is recorded history!:D Even with all of that we can't...or should I say, won't escape the torture. We are all gluttons for this punishment. Now, so are you!!!:eek: :D :D :D

Ron Hardy
04-12-2007, 11:19 PM
I want to thank everyone for the response I received.. It has helped me decide amd also to come back to earth. I was inclined to go out and buy the lathe and tools right away and start doing something even if it was wrong. Instead I think I will wait until after this class in Peoria and then get what I need. If I get things now and try to do something and I have no idea what I am doing I'll either do something stupid and/or get very frustrated early on. I have seen what can be done with a lathe and if I can become half as good as some of you I will be pleased.

Frank I live in Lincoln about 45 miles from Peoria. I recently retired from my profession there after 31 years. I do want to come to a meeting thank you.

Again thanks to all
Ron

Doug M Jones
04-13-2007, 7:19 AM
Ron,
By all means join the local turning club. I joined one about a half hour from me before I even had a lathe and you couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of guys. They were very generous with their time and let me try different tools and lathes before I bought my Jet Mini. We meet in a members shop and you get to see different ways to get to the same end. The Creek is a great resource but having someone close willing to show you is great. I have been at this about 2 months and have so much to learn.

I didn't have the funds for the woodcraft grinder and wolverine system that every raves about and bought a small slow speed wet grinder from Menards for $34. It is working ok but I do need to upgrade when funds allow. Be prepared to spend as much on pen turning supplies and tools as you did for your lathe.

The best advice I have been given is to Turn,Turn,Turn. I started turning spindles between centers and have only progressed to pens because I don't have a chuck in the budget yet but can see improvement from pen to pen as my technique improves and I find what works for me.

So make lots of sawdust and welcome to the Creek

Tom Sherman
04-13-2007, 5:37 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ron, you have recieved some sage advise that I can not add to good luck

Darrell Feltmate
04-13-2007, 9:51 PM
Welcome to the Creek and to turning. The first thing to do is to learn to sharpen, you are quite right. I personally like a 6" high speed grinder with AO wheels, 80 grit, and a jig. There are instructions for making a jig and some videos of it at work over on http://aroundthewoods.com/sharpening01.html. It will certainly do until you get a Wolverine and you should be able to make it for under $5.
Join a turning group if you can find one handy and feel free to ask questions here. It is a good place for answers.:)