PDA

View Full Version : Dados:TS or Router

Tim Dorcas
04-12-2007, 1:15 PM
Just wondering what people used as their primary dado cutting tool -- the Tablesaw or the router? If using the tablesaw, which cutters do you use and if using the router, which jig?

Thanks!
Tim

scott spencer
04-12-2007, 2:00 PM
I usually use the TS with a stacked dado head. It cuts faster and the stack can be adjusted in minute increments. My current dado is a DW7670.

Ron Hedrick
04-12-2007, 2:04 PM
I use a Freud stacked dado set, also. I tried the router, I guess my patience is not the best. I don't like having to make multiple passes to the acheive the desired depth.

Gary Keedwell
04-12-2007, 2:23 PM
Just wondering what people used as their primary dado cutting tool -- the Tablesaw or the router? If using the tablesaw, which cutters do you use and if using the router, which jig?

Thanks!
Tim
I always use stacked dado. I go full depth with dado blades narrower then dado. I do one pass...measure with verniers...move fence using dial indicator...take a finish cut...perfect dado fit.
I can do two passes faster then taking dado head off and fiddling around with shims.
Don't like routers....loud....messy...and dangerous. That being said, there are obvious times where only a router will suffice.
IMNSHO
Gary K.;)

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 2:26 PM
"Yes". It depends upon the project and what's getting cut. For stopped dados, grooves and rebates I prefer the router all the time.

Von Bickley
04-12-2007, 2:46 PM
"Yes". It depends upon the project and what's getting cut. For stopped dados, grooves and rebates I prefer the router all the time.

I agree with Jim, depends on the project...;)

glenn bradley
04-12-2007, 2:52 PM
Router with Auto Jig:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46406

Kyle Kraft
04-12-2007, 3:17 PM
When I make dados on curvy BORG sheet goods, I use the router, an "accurate guide" clone, and a straight edge to assure consistent depth control.

With solid wood, and smaller pieces, I lean toward the stack dado.

Of course, as others have stated, project needs ultimately dictate which method I use.

Jeff Wright
04-12-2007, 3:28 PM
When I make dados on curvy BORG sheet goods, I use the router, an "accurate guide" clone, and a straight edge to assure consistent depth control . . .

Kyle, did you make your Accurate Guide clone or buy it somewhere? The original developer no longer offers it for sale.

Paul Johnstone
04-12-2007, 3:31 PM
I use a router and straight edge for plywood.. When I build casework, my dados are only 1/4 wide, so I can do it in one pass with a router.

In other cases, it depends, but I lean more towards the router.

I do prefer the dado head for rabbits though.

Brian Dormer
04-12-2007, 4:52 PM
Depends on the cut - but TS is the preferred method - once you set up, it's faster, safer and less error prone. You can dado just fine with a router - but you'll generally end up with clamps and guide fences all over the workpiece - and unless the dado is very shallow - multiple passes (praying you don't mess up on the last of 5 passes....)

That being said - there are times when a piece is too big, too heavy or just to unwieldy to use the TS - then the router comes out and you make the dado anyway.

Tim Wagner
04-12-2007, 5:00 PM
just odered the sd608 stack dato dial a width. see how it go's.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000089H8P/002-3794019-9523242

Jason Beam
04-12-2007, 6:55 PM
With my incra on the router table, that's the only way for me. I have never even used a dado head :)

Ron Fritz
04-12-2007, 7:14 PM
I cut my dados with a Freud stacked dado set on my radial arm saw which makes a cleaner cut but anything that needs a stopped dado is done on the router table. Also, a stacked dado set lasts a lot longer than a router bit.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-12-2007, 7:51 PM
Table saw. It's fast, easy, adjustable, and repeats perfectly.

Nancy Laird
04-12-2007, 7:57 PM
Freud stacked dado set. Makes beautiful dadoes. Quick, easy, repeatable, and since we use solid-hardwood face frames on all our stuff, no need for stopped dadoes.

Nancy

Michael Lutz
04-12-2007, 9:27 PM
I usually use the TS with a stacked dado head blade. On my latest project I had to use a router for an 1/8" deep stopped dado for some aluminum. The TS is much faster than using my router, because my router stuff is currently in boxes waiting for me to build storage and a table for it.

Mike

Don Selke
04-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Freud stacked dado blades on the table saw. Recently purchased the SRK from Eureka zone and now use a router with a sprial bit. Extremly accurate and flat bottoms. With the SRK I can cut stopped dados and variable spaced dados. I can also adjust the dado width to fit many types of sheet goods.

Bill Huber
04-13-2007, 12:15 AM
I always use stacked dado. I go full depth with dado blades narrower then dado. I do one pass...measure with verniers...move fence using dial indicator...take a finish cut...perfect dado fit.
I can do two passes faster then taking dado head off and fiddling around with shims.
Don't like routers....loud....messy...and dangerous. That being said, there are obvious times where only a router will suffice.
IMNSHO
Gary K.;)

Thanks Gary, some times the obvious in not the obvious.....
The last dados I had to cut were for some oversize 3/8 plywood I had a heck of a time getting my stack shimmed to the right width. All I had to do was use you method.

Again, Thanks ...:)

Tim Malyszko
04-13-2007, 8:24 AM
Up until last month, I used my Freud dado blade for everything, but then purchased both a Whiteside rabbetting bit set and some Whiteside spiral bits last month at Woodcraft's 20% off Whiteside Bit sale. Now that I have the bits, I make just about all of my dados that match the bit sizes on the router table and all rabbetts on the router table. If I need a dado a size that does not match a bit, say 1/2", I use the dado blade.

For me, it really depends on the application.

Phil Clark
04-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Whenever I can I use the TS with stacked dado and a cross cut sled or fence, whichever suits. But I make many dodos with the router, expecially any stopped dado or dados relquiring a jig because of odd shaped pieces or small pieces such as the groove in my pen boxes. I'm attending Darrell Peart's Greene & Greene details workshop this weekend and we'll be doing a fading dado in a table leg using jigs and a router.

Ian Nickson
04-13-2007, 12:22 PM
I use a router and the new purchased SRK for eurkazone too

coupled with the rails from Dino and the guys it makes routing dados easy and accurate

I never use a staked dado for two reasons

first is over here in the UK dado heads are not liked overly much
and the second is that I've got a tiny British home workshop and have no room for a table saw

as a result I tend to do all my cutting using eurkazone rails so the SRK and router was the best way forward