PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Differences

Tom Collins
04-12-2007, 1:08 PM
I am researching chucks for my Delta Midi. I will be doing mainly bowls or vessels. Max swing is 8-9". I have been looking at the Nova G3 and the Nova Precision Midi. Other than the G3 being about $30 more than the Midi can anybody tell me what the difference is between the two?

Thanks,
Tom Collins

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2007, 2:07 PM
Tom can't tell you the difference except I have used both and the G3 is definately worth the extra money. Especially when you only need one hand to loosen or tighten. Just my $1.298.

Paul Engle
04-12-2007, 2:18 PM
I was gonna say the midi uses the tommy bar/s , the G3 uses geared driver T handled and works one handed , I have spun 12 inch bowl on the G3( tho not supposed to , so i got the SN2). I have it and the Super Nova 2 and like em both, I use the spigot 75mm on the G3 gives a little more room between the chuck back and the spindle nose to turn and finish.

David Little
04-12-2007, 2:29 PM
I have the Nova midi which I use with my Jet mini 1014. At the time I bought it, it was on sale at Woodcraft so it was less than half the price of the G3 so I figured I could get by with using the tommy bars. I have not found this to be a problem. I also have the Pennacle chuck from Woodcraft and like it equally as well as the Nova midi. The Pennacle sells for about $84.99, so it costs less than the Nova plus the extra jaws for the Pennacle are considerably less than for the Nova. The Pennacle also uses the two tommy bars. And yes, it is made in China, so over the long term it may be that the higher manufacturing quality of the Nova will make a difference but for now I'm happy with what I have.

Kurt Forbes
04-13-2007, 11:47 AM
the sn2 works great on the delta midi also.

Tom Collins
04-13-2007, 8:25 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I think I will end up going with the G3 but will look at the sn2 as well. I've not given up on the Pinnacle just yet either.

David and others who use the Pinnacle....I looked at them on Amazon but the reviews weren't real positive. Several mentioned they had bent the tommy bars while tightening the chuck. I can't imagine the bars being that light that they would bend so easily. On the other hand maybe they were trying to over tighten the chuck which I would think would cause damage to whatever they were trying to mount. Or maybe I just don't understand how they work.

Tom C.

Mark Hubbs
04-13-2007, 8:57 PM
Hello, I'm fairly new on the forum and I'm just collecting the gadgets I need to do some simple turning. Does anyone have any experiance with the "Utility" chuck that PSI sells? I'm sure it is imported but the price is right and it seems to have most of the capabilities of the Pinnacle and Baracuda and others.

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2007, 9:08 PM
Hello, I'm fairly new on the forum and I'm just collecting the gadgets I need to do some simple turning. Does anyone have any experiance with the "Utility" chuck that PSI sells? I'm sure it is imported but the price is right and it seems to have most of the capabilities of the Pinnacle and Baracuda and others.

Why don't you look at the Grizzly chuck for $45? It is the same chuck. I have two of them and for the money can't be beat in my books.

Mark Hubbs
04-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks Bernie,

I just got the Grizzly catalog in the mail today...I'll check those out.

JOHN VITOSKY
04-14-2007, 1:20 AM
I just got the grizzly 45 dollar chuch about two months ago and have used it less than five times. It is terrible compared to the g3 and I have both. Do yourself a favor and dont get the grizzly $45 chuck. The bars are extremely easy to bend and it seems impossible to tighten. I dont want anyone to go through the same stuff I did while using it those five times. The jaws are flat too, which makes it hard to get a good grip on the spigot or anything else. If you can save a bit more the pinnacle or G3 are great. Im sure others have had different experiences than I but you truly do get what you pay for in a chuck!

Rich Stewart
04-14-2007, 4:28 AM
If you can bend the tommy bars on a Grizzly chuck then it is not the same as the PSI chuck. I have three of the PSI utility chucks and I guarantee you ain't bending them bars. The PSI utility chucks are fine in my book. If you got the cash, go for the fancy expensive ones. If you don't, get the PSI utility chucks. They work fine. I mount different jaws on each one so I don't have to keep messing with all them little allen screws. Just MY .02 worth.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
04-14-2007, 10:30 AM
If your going to spend more than say $100 bucks, give SERIOUS consideration to the Penn State (PSI) Barracuda 2.. IT COMES WITH 4 SETS OF JAWS!! It's also a one hander... No Tommy bars. Somebody did a review on this site, because I remember reading it, and they said for the money it was a great choice.. I bought it. BUT, I haven't recieved it yet.. UPS draggin' some feet... Anyway, take a look..