PDA

View Full Version : Compare Hollowing Rigs

Christopher K. Hartley
04-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I just inquired about a Kelton Hollowing Rig and Laser setup at our local wood shop. I was very explicit about what I needed to know about price and all. I get this email back that says "I've always carried the Jamieson Hollowing System, of which Kel's is a copy." Now I know I'm not the most intelligent person in the world but, anyone with one eye and half sense can see the approach on the two is entirely different. Am I missing something? I know the Jamieson is a great rig but it isn't what I asked for. Am I being unreasonable, or is there some defect I should know about? Can anyone help me on this?:)

Bill Boehme
04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know much about the different hollowing rigs, but I do know that when I smell something on my boots that I have probably stepped in some "stuff" (usually found in pastures and used car lots, but "stuff" can happen anywhere that money is exchanged for "goods").

My friend, Harvey Taylor has been doing some checking out of the various hollowing rigs and maybe he will chime in with a report of his findings.

Bill

Mike Vickery
04-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Ive never used the Kelton and have the Jameison. The principle behind the systems are the same. The cutters are different but I am not going to go into that. They seem the same but opposite. On the Jameison the backrest captures the D handle on the Kelton the handle captures the back rest seems like the same principle to me.
The guy is just trying to switch you to what he carries. If you are not set on the Kelton consider the Jameison. If you are set that you want the Kelton take your business somewhere else.

Bill Wyko
04-12-2007, 1:01 PM
Christopher, have you looked at the Clark hollowing system? I just ordered one and should see it soon. I'll post pics as soon as I get it.:D His website is www.theokspindoctor.com (http://www.theokspindoctor.com). You'll have to search the site when you get on. It's a little difficult to navagate his site.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-12-2007, 1:17 PM
Christopher, have you looked at the Clark hollowing system? I just ordered one and should see it soon. I'll post pics as soon as I get it.:D His website is www.theokspindoctor.com (http://www.theokspindoctor.com). You'll have to search the site when you get on. It's a little difficult to navagate his site.Thanks Bill,l I have looked at it.:)

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2007, 2:04 PM
Chris you might look at the monster rig from Randy Privett. By the way I have the Kelton hollowing tools that I use freehand and they ain't even close to Jamieson rig. I only have one good eye.:eek: ;)

Harvey M. Taylor
04-12-2007, 2:06 PM
Hi Chris,
Harvey Taylor here. I have looked at the Clark, Jamieson and Kelton rigs. Clark is about the same as Oneway, and after you add the rest to the other two you are only a few bucks below the Oneway, plus you get a complete rig with oneway. The others, clark excluded, you have to order the rest of the system separately which brings you to a few dollars below the oneway. Go to Oneway mfg. and check the hollowing rigs out.
When I take the dive off the high-board I plan to get the oneway. quality throughout.
That's my story, and I am sticking to it. I have no vested interest in oneway, just like their products. Harvey Taylor.

Pete Jordan
04-12-2007, 2:21 PM
I have this one:http://www.oneway.on.ca/hollowing/index.htm
and I really like the setup even though I have only done one hollow form and probably won't do more till summer time. My mentor stopped by after I got it and told me he could have built me one much cheaper. I said " now you tell me!"

Christopher K. Hartley
04-12-2007, 2:22 PM
Thanks Harvey, I hadn't even considered the Oneway so I'll go take a good look at it.:)
Hi Chris,
Harvey Taylor here. I have looked at the Clark, Jamieson and Kelton rigs. Clark is about the same as Oneway, and after you add the rest to the other two you are only a few bucks below the Oneway, plus you get a complete rig with oneway. The others, clark excluded, you have to order the rest of the system separately which brings you to a few dollars below the oneway. Go to Oneway mfg. and check the hollowing rigs out.
When I take the dive off the high-board I plan to get the oneway. quality throughout.
That's my story, and I am sticking to it. I have no vested interest in oneway, just like their products. Harvey Taylor.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-12-2007, 2:23 PM
Pete, the same, I hadn't for some reason looked at it. Thanks:)
I have this one:http://www.oneway.on.ca/hollowing/index.htm
and I really like the setup even though I have only done one hollow form and probably won't do more till summer time. My mentor stopped by after I got it and told me he could have built me one much cheaper. I said " now you tell me!"

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 2:44 PM
In "general principle" all of the captured hollowing systems do the same thing...keep the tool from twisting and well supported so you can easily guide the business end about it's, well...business. Most will work with different cutter systems than the brand of handle, too. I now use Trent Bosch's bars/cutters in my Jamison handle, for example. You can pick the system you like the best and know that in most cases, you can have flexibility in the future on the cutter end of things.

Paul Zerjay
04-12-2007, 5:06 PM
Why don't you just build your own?

Bill Wyko
04-12-2007, 5:39 PM
The one thing I liked about the Clark is that you can reposition the cutter and the Lazar will follow suite. You don't have to re-adjust the lazar. I don't know if thats a feature on the others.

Jim Ketron
04-12-2007, 8:12 PM
If you have access to a welder and a torch, build it yourself.
I built both of my reg and mini captured hollowing systems along with an assortment of boring bars from scratch. You can buy the cold roll from Lowes or Home Depot also Tractor Supply has it.
I get pleasure building my own tools like this but some would rather save time and just buy.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-12-2007, 9:46 PM
Thanks everyone. Jim and Paul, I'd love to build one but no welder in my shop and no welding skill in my hands.:)

charlie knighton
04-12-2007, 9:59 PM
oct 5-7 at greensboro colliseum complex greensbor nc at the turn and learn sympoium they will be demostrating the elbo tool:D

Brian McInturff
04-13-2007, 9:04 PM
Been busy this week at work and haven't had time to post. Let me now get in on this conversation. The Clark system, which is what I bought, is unlike any other system. It has roller bearings which allows everything to slide so fluidly it's unbelievable. Before thinking all hollowing systems are alike I suggest looking at his and reading the specs and info. How many times have I used it since I got it? Just once which was to just check it out last weekend(just not enough time lately). Pricey, yes, but hey I'm buying for when I retire in another 20 years.:D
Brian

Bill Wyko
04-14-2007, 1:23 PM
I hear that Malcolm Tibbetts uses the elbo tool. :eek: I'd like to see a picture of one. Seems like it would be pretty rough on you in the beginning of a segmented piece.:(

Christopher K. Hartley
04-14-2007, 3:38 PM
I hear that Malcolm Tibbetts uses the elbo tool. :eek: I'd like to see a picture of one. Seems like it would be pretty rough on you in the beginning of a segmented piece.:(Is this what you mean? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49127&cat=1,330,49232&ap=1 or this? http://www.elbotool.com/

Bill Wyko
04-14-2007, 3:51 PM
Thanks Christopher. The first one was the one I was curious about but the video of the next one was a good watch. That The first one seems like if it caught it could break your arm with a quickness.:confused: Just wondering, did you get the blueprint I sent you?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-14-2007, 4:08 PM
Thanks Christopher. The first one was the one I was curious about but the video of the next one was a good watch. That The first one seems like if it caught it could break your arm with a quickness.:confused: Just wondering, did you get the blueprint I sent you? Yes, I thought I let you know. Just an FYI. I got my Table Saw and Compound Miter so I'll be able to tale a stab at those segmented plans.:)