PDA

View Full Version : Capture Rig Results

Frank Kobilsek
04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Creekers
Early last month I gloated my homemade Captured Rig. So here a few pieces created with my new set-up. The two walnut forms are from wood I bought at an estate auction last year. Cut (and tagged as such) in 1979. The smaller piece is 4" Dia by 5" H while the Hopi shaped piece is 8.25 Dia. x 5.5 H. The Curly Maple piece was turned in the last two evenings (inspired by an email from Keith Burns) is 5" dia x 7.75" H. All finished with Antique oil, all yet to be buffed.

I'm not ready for a 'Throw Down' with Travis but I think I am getting the hang of it.

Critique & Comments welcome.

Frank

TYLER WOOD
04-12-2007, 11:28 AM
SAWEEET!!!! I love the grain on the maple, and the forms I think are spectacular. I am very fond of the southwest shapes! Good job

Tony De Masi
04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Frank,

Very very nice. Love the form and shape of all of them but I am particulary drawn to the walnut pieces.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Wow Frank - you been holding out!!! Beautiful work! Love all the pieces - specially the curly! Great form on each piece! Looks like your homemade system works well!

Travis Stinson
04-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Getting the hang of it? Yessir, I'd say so! :D
Those look great Frank, I love the forms. Great job!

Mark Pruitt
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I think I am getting the hang of it.

Yeah Frank I would definitely say so!!! Those are sweeeeet!!!!:)

Bob Hallowell
04-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Frank,
They are all great but I really like the the form of the one with the dimpled rim!

Bob

Bob Hallowell
04-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Frank,
They are all great but I really like the the form of the one with the dimpled rim!

Bob

Frank Kobilsek
04-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks Guys, Self critique says wall thickness can go a bit thinner. All of these have the same problem in that the wall thickness is 3/16 to 1/4 at the top and gently grows to 5/16 or 3/8 at the bottom. I don't really trust the laser yet. I know its right I just can't bring myself to stay thin to the bottom.

Steve, Yes I do kind of hold back. I tend to turn things for a couple weeks leaving the tenon on the bottom as a grip applying more finish then spend three or four nights jamb chucking to finish bottoms. Need a vac chuck to make it easier.

The curly is from a tornado in a town about 15 miles from here, where 9 people were killed in thier shelter. Sad story. A pile of the wood got dumped a co-workers farm where heats his barn with wood. I have made two blank cutting trips to his place filling my truck each time. The first batch (june 06) was clear, no stains, no spalt. This piece is from the second run (sept 06) shows some spalt. I think this spring I make a third trip to that pile which might be very spalted.

Thanks again for the kind words.
Frank

Keith Burns
04-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Frank, they all look absolutely GREAT. Really like the curly maple !!

Bill Wyko
04-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Top notch Frank. They all look fantastic.:)

Neal Addy
04-12-2007, 1:55 PM
Really nice work, Frank! I'd say you are getting the hang of it. Keep 'em coming!

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2007, 2:02 PM
Those are beauties Frank. I really like the one with the dimpled collar. Nice job Frank.

Paul Engle
04-12-2007, 2:28 PM
Nice work Frank, if you decide to market your rig , let me know I'll be looking by then...

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 2:54 PM
The forms are just great! I have no doubt you'll never want to hollow "manually" again, either... ;)

BTW, somehow the coloration of your photos got whacked a little. A bit o' extra pink in there it seems.

Nancy Laird
04-12-2007, 3:16 PM
Frank, both of these pieces are beautiful, but that maple piece really grabs me with the grain. Either one would be museum quality, IMHO.

Nancy

Frank Kobilsek
04-12-2007, 3:17 PM
Jim

My backdrop is the reserve side of Christmas Wrapping paper, the probable source of the pink hue. I have some better flat white paper I just haven't installed in yet.

You're one of the photo helpers here. I have an old Mavica 1.6 megapix camera. I use Auto white balance setting when I shoot, biggest file. Then I crop and Autobalance with Microsoft Photo Editor. After the Auto balance function I manually balance down the Contrast and the brightness a bit to cool the look a little. My pix are not great but better than before, need new backdrop, camera, software.

Frank

Keith Burns
04-12-2007, 3:25 PM
Frank, try Picasa for photo editing. It is free from Google and works well. Love that curly maple:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2007, 3:36 PM
Frank..........You have caught on quickly! I'm not surprised! Well done Sir.

Is this what you in mind? I readjusted that one.

Dennis Peacock
04-12-2007, 3:55 PM
ok Frank....you sly dawg you. You've been holding out on us ain't ya??

Beautiful wood and awesome work. Congrats.:D :cool: :cool:

Ed Scolforo
04-12-2007, 4:16 PM
Great stuff, Frank!!

Jim Ketron
04-12-2007, 4:44 PM
Great pieces Frank!
I say your off to a very good start.
Keep em HF's coming!

Terry Quiram
04-12-2007, 5:40 PM
Frank

We missed you Monday night and I sure would have liked to touch those vessels. Nice job.

Terry

Philip Duffy
04-12-2007, 5:47 PM
Great job on all those pieces, Frank! I have a piece of Indian Rosewood that is over 50 years old that I can not bring myself to turn - -yet. When I do I hope to be able to reach your level of achievement. Phil

Tom Sherman
04-13-2007, 5:19 PM
Very nice Frank, they are looking very posh.