PDA

View Full Version : Nova DVR XP Owners

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I have a question for DVR XP owners. They recommend that you get a surge suppressor to put on the this lathe to protect the electronics. What my question is how many of you have them on your units and where do you get them from? Thanks.

Roy McQuay
04-12-2007, 6:04 AM
I don't know electronics, but I do know my computer equipment and audio/video equipment in my home is all plugged in to surge suppressors that you can get at the borg, Office Depot or Radio Shack. They just protect the electronics from getting fried in case of a spike, or change in current. If you use 220 volt, you will have to let someone else advise you as I wouldn't know. I think that lathe will run on 110 or 220.

Lars A Stole
04-12-2007, 8:13 AM
I have my DVR XP running at 220 volts and made my own 220 suppressor. I give some details and pictures on the msn nova group. It takes about 5 minutes to make once you have the key electronic part -- an inline 220v arrester. PM me if you want the details.

Al Wasser
04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Bernie, you need to be aware of lightning, that is if you flat landers get that stuff:confused:. A few yrs ago our house took a direct hit. It fried the garage door openers, the outside lighting, and the TV cable box. Of course the replacement cost was under the deductible, but we now have surge protecters on almost everything more costly that a light bulb. The simple ones don't cost a lot and hopefully they work. You also need to think about how often your power goes on/off. Those surges also raise havoc with electronics especially over repeated events.

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 3:05 PM
I physically unplug Stubbalina from the wall when I'm not using it...this is a good practice for any machine that uses VFD or other electronics for speed control. That said, a surge suppressor would be a good idea for protection while actually using it...and it's something I haven't dealt with. My bad.

George Tokarev
04-12-2007, 3:25 PM
I'd do both. Line surges while the lathe is in use could damage the programming. For disconnect, one of those old Square D knife switches ought to provide enough of a gap to keep the lightning on a more convenient path. If it were located near the tail, it would also provide an emergency shutoff.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2007, 4:11 PM
Just got a call from Tim Geist. He said any good electronics surge suppressor over 750 joules will be ok for 115 V. Wal-Mart has a 2050 joules for $17 I think will be fine. So I am going to leave it at 115 V for now to see how it goes. He said the same thing Jim B. said. If you really want to be safe to unplug the machine when not in use especially if you are out of town and make sure you have the suppressor in place when using it. If I decide later to go 220 V Tim said they have a kit for $19.97 to convert it to 220 V. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Kevin McPeek
04-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I wonder what the kit consists of. All you have to to is pull a jumper and change the plug. I had mine on a surge suppressor but after the last re-arrangement it is directly into the wall right now. I plan on converting to 220V is why I haven't done anything yet. 220 surge suppressors are not an easy thing to find off the shelf. I found Tripp Lite makes one that will accept many plugs.
My fathers house took a strike and it fried every TV and 3 Macs in his house.