PDA

View Full Version : Which lathe again

Roy McQuay
04-11-2007, 8:38 PM
Woodcraft has the Nova 1624-44 lathe for $1000 and the Jet 1642 with variable speed for $1799. The weight of the Nova is half the Jet. If I add accessories to the Nova to make it comparable to the Jet, without variable speed control, the price is very close to the same. Plus, on 4/11 Woodcraft is giving 10% off Jet tools. Is the Nova better than the Jet or not, in anyone's opinion, of course. I have a Delta midi now with extended bed, but want more swing. Thanks

Jim Becker
04-11-2007, 8:53 PM
Roy, the Nova 1624-44 is a fine machine. But the Jet 1642 is a machine you'll not likely be sorry turning on, both for the weight and the true variable speed.

Roy McQuay
04-11-2007, 9:07 PM
Thanks Jim, I usually lean towards heft because it has the appearance of stability. I haven't done much turning, usually just knobs for other projects, but would like to do some turnings. I was thinking the extra weight would help with starting a project that is not perfectly balanced.

Jim Becker
04-11-2007, 9:14 PM
The cast iron legs, etc., on the Jet machine not only add weight, they also add vibration dampening. It will definitely be useful if you start running out of balance, either on purpose or through circumstance. The variable speed with a very low bottom end is also helpful in that respect.

George Tokarev
04-12-2007, 6:53 AM
The cast iron legs, etc., on the Jet machine not only add weight, they also add vibration dampening. It will definitely be useful if you start running out of balance, either on purpose or through circumstance. The variable speed with a very low bottom end is also helpful in that respect.

This is oft-repeated, and extremely puzzling. If the legs are bolted on, and their mass is important, then any equal mass bolted on with the same bolts will provide the same stability. If it's a home-built stand, it can even be of some use in the shop rather than being a sand-holder. Initial mass means something to the shipper, not the user.

"Vibration-dampening" is another mysterious term. Surely what people who use it mean to say is really non-resonant or rigid construction. I can dampen vibration through elastic collisions set up with rubber feet. They also limit transfer of energy, but they also produce a bouncing lathe with a stationary operator trying to chase it around the floor. The best situation is to have the tool, the piece, and the operator in the same frame, and this means not dampening, but rigidity.

Finally, infinitely variable speed. Are you in such a hurry that it's worth five hundred bucks to you? If you're cutting for pleasure or for anything short of production, all you want is a good low end to protect yourself and the bearings of your lathe. The proponents tell you to speed up until the lathe shakes then back down. What have you accomplished that setting a low speed would not? You're rotating faster. More energy to throw bark, chips, perhaps the piece itself, and more possible harm to you and your work if you carelessly catch. You can bring more wood past the tool in the same time, which means you might be able to get things done faster. The few times I've timed the difference between 360 and 680 in scooping a 15 inch bowl I discovered that it takes half again as long at 360. I can spare the five or ten minutes. All it takes is one dismount, made possible by excessive available energy and carelessness (rushing) to equalize.

Get the less expensive lathe. It's a good one. Put the difference into the things which will enhance your turning experience like a chuck. One faceplate reglue or remount is going to take about as long as a dozen belt changes.

Dale Gregory
04-12-2007, 7:48 AM
George, good points! I too have been weighing the benefits of the Jet16-42 EVS vs. the Nova 1624-42. I change belts now with my Rikon and it's really not a big deal and looks easy enough on the Nova..... but EVS would be nice if you have the additional cash to burn. The Nova has reverse even with the belt drive system, which is nice. The other thing to consider is the footprint of the machine and the space you have available for turning. I'm wondering if there is any advantages for the sliding headstock on the Jet vs. the rotating headstock on the Nova when it comes to outboard turning....anyone have an opinion on this?

Roy, Woodcraft has the Jet 1642 EVS for
$1699.99. - 10% = $1530 and currently Jet has a $100 rebate, so your really talking $1430 vs. $990 for the Nova. So now the million dollar question is: Is EVS and cast iron stand worth the extra $440?

Good thing is that the offer is good through Sunday, so we still have a few more days to debate the million dollar question.;)

Dale

Roy McQuay
04-12-2007, 7:52 AM
Thank you for the insight George. But which is the cheaper lathe ? If I add the accessories I would want with the Nova, bed extension($200) and the outboard tool rest($270), I am only looking at a $200 difference. But the Nova would then have a 29" turning capacity and still have the toolrest attached to the lathe. Compared to my midi, both lathes look good to my untrained eye. I am just looking for advice on if one is better than the other.

Roy McQuay
04-12-2007, 7:56 AM
Thanks Dale. That means I will have this headache only a few more days. That really evens them up for me. Is one better than the other.....:o

Mark Pruitt
04-12-2007, 8:15 AM
I'm wondering if there is any advantages for the sliding headstock on the Jet vs. the rotating headstock on the Nova when it comes to outboard turning....anyone have an opinion on this?

First, in regard to true outboard turning, the Jet as it comes from the factory is not set up for this, unlike its more expensive Powermatic cousin. For outboard turning you would slide the headstock all the way to the end and need some means of mounting a banjo. A homemade stand can accomplish that if you're able/willing to go that route.

More specific to your question, there are two things that are absolutely critical. One, does the weight of the piece being turned significantly affect the balance of the lathe so as to make it prone to topple in the case of a rotating headstock. Two, how rigidly can the tool rest be supported. Anything less than rock solid is asking for trouble. Personally, I am more comfortable with a sliding headstock than a rotating one. But a rotating HS is fine as long as you learn its limitations/tolerances.

So now the million dollar question is: Is EVS and cast iron stand worth the extra $430?

IMHO, definitely unquestionably yes. As Jim was saying earlier, cast iron and EVS is giving you added stability and the ability to finely control speed, extremely important with out of balance pieces or eccentric turnings.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-12-2007, 9:02 AM
...I'm wondering if there is any advantages for the sliding headstock on the Jet vs. the rotating headstock on the Nova when it comes to outboard turning....anyone have an opinion on this?DaleGuys to answer this question look at the following link on the Robust, I do believe it will answer those questions.
Read "At Ease" http://www.turnrobust.com/Turning_Ergonomics.html

Having owned a rotating headstock on my 1442 I would never own another rotating headstock. It didn't make the lathe bad but I learned the hard way to just not use it. I had to replace two locking pins because I tried to turn items a bit out of round and I could not get the speed low enough.

Adam Howard
04-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Some good points here.

From my perspective, I'd rather have the extra weight and the very stable stand of the Jet. I have turned hundreds of turnings on the old Nova 3000 lathe, the 1644's earlier model, and it was an excellent machine. There were times I wished, though, for extra weight and greater stability. I rarely used the swiveling headstock, and if you want to use that feature at all, you'll want to buy the outboard rig, or at least a much wider toolrest. The tailstock on the Nova is not as sturdy as the Jet. The indexing head and spindle lock was a better design on the Nova, but you could turn on the machine with the spindle locked and stress your belt.

Just a few weeks ago I bought a PM3520B, and I couldn't be happier. The Jet 16" lathe is a smaller version of the PM, and looks rock solid, and has the same variable speed controller, sliding headstock as the PM. The owner of my local Woodcraft said that there would be a price reduction on the 16" Jet in the next couple months. You might want to check with your local store to verify this.

My own personal perspective says that there is real value in a machine's stability when turning, and that along with VS is where the Nova is lacking. Personally, I'd vote Jet.

Jim Becker
04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Finally, infinitely variable speed. Are you in such a hurry that it's worth five hundred bucks to you?

IMHO, absolutely worth it. Sometimes a few RPM in either direction will quiet a difficult piece down so you can get a good cut. Further, most true VS machines have a much, much lower bottom end RPM which brings safety when mounting larger or out-of-balance material. Some folks don't share these concerns, but having turned on both, I'm extremely happy I have a true VS machine and find turning on non-VS machines very uncomfortable. My opinion, obviously...

Greg Stanford
04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
I had the same questions not long ago & went w/ the Jet. I'm very happy w/ the choice I made. As far as the sliding headstock, I'm not doing any outboard turning (yet) but I use it as now I don't have to lean over the lathe when hollowing bowls. My two bits.

g

Leo Pashea
04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
I am a former owner of the Nova, and to be perfectly honest, I would not buy another. Not that I had trouble with it, because I didn't, but my son purchased and still has a Jet 1642. The Jet blows the Nova away, IMO. The biggest difference is the torque. The Nova has a problem generating enough torque for large work, and aggressive cuts. Even non aggressive cuts will stall a Nova, but the Jet keeps on chugging. Should I be forced to surrender my current lathe, I would buy a Jet 1642 without hesitation. Of course, this is just my opinion based on experience, your experience may vary.

Travis Stinson
04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd go for the Jet in a heartbeat. EVS IS worth it! After you've tried it, you wouldn't want to be without it.

Roy McQuay
04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all the info. I just got home from Woodcraft and I bought the Jet 1442. I know, I went to just look at lathes, but, while I was there, the salesman from Festool came in and gave me a personal demonstration on the Domino. He also showed me other Festool products and now I have to buy the Domino with vac. My friend at Woodcraft talked me into the Jet 1442 for what I want to turn and it was only $899, then he gave me the 10% discount that I would get on Saturday which made it $809 plus I have a mail-in-rebate for $100 from Jet so my final outlay will be $750. That's almost half the 1642 price. I have to have $1200 for the Domino as the price is going up June 1 and will cost $90 more after that, for the package deal. I left the lathe there to pick up tomorrow morning so I wouldn't have it in my truck overnight.

George Tokarev
04-12-2007, 3:31 PM
Big difference, but once it's in the shop, it'll become the apple of your eye, I'm sure. Read up on the various forums about the care and feeding of the Reeves drive. Be sure and have cardboard handy to mask that motor when sanding or finishing on the lathe. No sense shortening its life with stray grit.

Al Wasser
04-12-2007, 3:38 PM
If you want further confusion, or differing opinions check out the new issue of Fine Woodworking. It contains a review of what I would call the mid sized lathes. I just got my issue today