PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wannted on two tool purchases I have been putting off for a while...

Michael Melo
04-11-2007, 8:27 PM
Hello all,

This was also posted on JLC Online as I am trying to gain knowledge from as wide an audience as possible (thanks.)

I run a small custom carpentry and renovation business with a full compliment of the various tools we all probably use to do this type of work.

There have a been a couple of tools I have considered purchasing for some time but always put off. The first is to help limit or possibly entirely solve the issue of nail holes in stain grade work (paint grade as well I suppose.)

A 23 Guage pin nailer.

Brand aside what I'm really wondering is... Has anyone used a pin nailer to install moderately sized casing and other mouldings with the assistance of adhesive? Does a pin nailer grab and pull casing tight to an adjacent surface like my brad or finish nailer do? Clearly if a pin nailer and adhesive work the time savings would be pretty amazing and I'd purchase one in a heartbeat...

The second tool:

The Nobex Champion mitre saw http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...26&cat=1,42884 (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32926&cat=1,42884)

Primarily to help save my back but also would allow me to cut moulding indoors (in tight spaces) with less mess to clean up. It would mean I could leave the Makita 12" SCMS and stand at the shop for those smaller jobs. Also I find for the real picky stuff that the SCMS leaves some to be desired as far as cut accuracy.

Appreciate any input anyone may have on this!

Thanks,

Michael

Mike Heidrick
04-11-2007, 8:30 PM
A buddy metioned a less than $40 23 gauge pinner he got from ebay. Not sure what brand or from who but that might be a good way to gauge if you like them and if they will do what you want them too.

Jim Becker
04-11-2007, 8:32 PM
Michael, I can't help you with the miter saw, but do believe you'll get a lot of good use out of a quality pinner. Fine Homebuilding just did a review on a few of the "good ones". Given you intend to use adhesive, especially the quick action stuff, 23 gage pins should do the job to keep things in place. In fact, I had a conversation about this with Per Swenson while standing outside of the recent Mid-Atlantic Expo and chewing the fat. He works alone and the current adhesives really make that a lot easier to deal with. I do suggest for your pro work, you avoid the inexpensive pinners and buy a higher-end product. You'll get longer pin capability and generally a more sturdy tool to keep in your roving tool box.

Alan Turner
04-11-2007, 8:41 PM
We have, and love, our 23 ga. pin nailer. It is a small, light clamp. It will not pull a molding tight, but if it is already tight, and you just want to hold it while the glue dries, then it is fine. It will not split small moldings. We have the Grex 635, which has been flawless in operation, even though we shoot it with too much pressure.

Scott Thornton
04-11-2007, 10:20 PM
I have used several and the Grex is by far the best on the market, I love that thing.

I assume you are talking about things like casing. I'm not sure that the pinner would suck a board tight, but would definately hold it in place while the adhesive was drying.

Also, the thing about pinners is typically you use "headless" nails with them, thus the "pin" name. Without the head, there isn't much to "pull" anything tight...

My two cents...

glenn bradley
04-11-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm voting yes on the pinner although I went with a 21 gauge (on sale and has a little more punch [also a little more visible]). I have a similar miter saw and used it as you describe. I wouldn't want to do it all day but it did serve it's purpose. Its nice to know when the need arises again, it's right on the shelf, waiting. Mine was about $140 but only cuts 6" high.